Opinion Zac Clarke

Remove this Banner Ad

He still has areas to improve. He needs to make more of a presence in the forward half. Clarke is so athletic yet he struggles to make contests and his pressure seems down on previous years.

Yes, I know he's kicked 6 goals in two weeks but I think he's been a bit lucky to be on the end of a few. I have high expectations for Clarke and I think he can get a lot better.

At times, Clarke seems so capable as a mobile, contested marking ruckman yet he's so often in cruise mode. I still get nightmares from his Grand Final performance.

Really appreciate the way that he is impacting on the scoreboard lately. There was a time when he would miss all his set shots from even 20 metres out, you could only count on him when he took a shot on the run (I.e. Didn't have to think about it).

Seems to have great confidence for the first time in the forward line which is a real positive to his game. Now to just get some consistency from him and you have the footy player we all hoped for.:thumbsu:

Given the praise on Griffin - being able to mark around the ground and provide better cover to Sandi, can see Clarke not playing this finals series. Just goes missing and hasn't improved as much as we like this season, almost flat lined abit. Needs a big couple weeks for Peel starting on Saturday against South Freo.

Given the praise on Griffin - being able to mark around the ground and provide better cover to Sandi, can see Clarke not playing this finals series. Just goes missing and hasn't improved as much as we like this season, almost flat lined abit. Needs a big couple weeks for Peel starting on Saturday against South Freo.

He has had a couple of big weeks for Peel. Easily outplays Griff and Hannath.Hard to follow why he is so inconsistent when he plays in the main squad.

IMO should be traded. Great when the going is easy. Not so otherwise.

His trade value for the likes of Essendon, GWS and Bulldogs could be quite high.

Clarke and second rounder for McCarthy?

People have short memories, was on fire at start of year, there sometimes other things in play from a niggle to RTB firing up. Don't think we can win the GF with a Sandi Griiff combo as much as I've got lot time for griff.

IMO should be traded. Great when the going is easy. Not so otherwise.

His trade value for the likes of Essendon, GWS and Bulldogs could be quite high.

Clarke and second rounder for McCarthy?

If you were going to trade him surely it would be in the Dixon trade, by the way don't agree with your comments re the going gets easy.

People have short memories, was on fire at start of year, there sometimes other things in play from a niggle to RTB firing up. Don't think we can win the GF with a Sandi Griiff combo as much as I've got lot time for griff.
He does that often though. Just the hunger / desire that Griffin has, Zac doesn't seem to possess. He has a great leap and when confident, can mark well- when he turns up.

He does that often though. Just the hunger / desire that Griffin has, Zac doesn't seem to possess. He has a great leap and when confident, can mark well- when he turns up.

You could be right, but sometimes I'm not certain he reads the play that well and then gets beaten because he's a yard to late.

My concern with Z Clarke, is that he is always going to be good next year or when he's the number 1 ruck or when he finds consistency or when something else happens. Surely he has been on the list long enough to just be good.
Plenty of people seem to think he goes well at Peel but not in the AFL. Part of that is because he is bigger, faster and more mobile than most of those he plays against in the WAFL, but at AFL level he isn't any of those. I had this discussion before with others and I actually don't rate his games at Peel as well as others do. IMHO Griff is both a better ruck and a better forward than ZC.
Clarke's strength is his mobility and he just doesn't use it enough. He is at his best when playing like buddy. By this I mean that he gets up north of the 50 on a good lead, pluck's a mark and wheels and goes for home. In this scenario he has a massive boot and is actually better in full flight than having a set shot. I've seen him do this a 4 or 5 times in the last 12 months and anytime he is about 60-65 out against the left side boundary I would put money on him slotting it. Right side is less convincing but seen him bag one or two there as well. Someone needs to tell him to mark and go more often.

My concern with Z Clarke, is that he is always going to be good next year or when he's the number 1 ruck or when he finds consistency or when something else happens. Surely he has been on the list long enough to just be good..

With the exception of maybe Hawthorn and Sydney, every other team in the AFL has the same problem with their backup ruckman. It's a very difficult role to play. Zac Clarke was excellent as the #1 ruck when he played that role. As the #2 ruck he's a s**t forward. You could say the exact same thing about 15 other backup ruckmen in the AFL.

A lot of teams go so far as to not play a 2nd ruckman, although they wouldn't do that if they had a player of the quality of David Hale or Kurt Tippett available.

Yep. Add Port in there now with Ryder, but you're right.

A better option than having to carry 2 rucks is one ruck a genuine KPF (e.g. Dixon) or KPD (e.g. Trengove) who can ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only reason Griffin is in the side now instead of Clarke is that Clarke's ruckwork dropped off as a result of playing too much time in the forward line. Griff's in better rucking form since he's been playing as the #1 Ruckman at Peel for over a year. I expect Clarke to get the gig in finals.

The only reason Griffin is in the side now instead of Clarke is that Clarke's ruckwork dropped off as a result of playing too much time in the forward line. Griff's in better rucking form since he's been playing as the #1 Ruckman at Peel for over a year. I expect Clarke to get the gig in finals.

Yes, IMO this is on the money. Just can't see us being quick enough with both Sandi and Griff in the team.

With the exception of maybe Hawthorn and Sydney, every other team in the AFL has the same problem with their backup ruckman. It's a very difficult role to play.

100% Agree. I think we forget that Zac is a relatively young KPP/Ruck/Tall (however you'd like to describe him) and that they usually come on a bit later than others. I think we also forget that he basically rucked for the vast majority of the 2013 season and I think we did OK then. Sure he’s inconsistent, but he’s not alone there.
For those questioning his commitment and "effort" - you must've forgotten that he broke a rib (and punctured a lung) early in the Semi Final against Port last year and still played the game out.

Anyone who wants to trade him, I ask - Who will be No. 1 Ruck in 2 years. 211 and Griff will be done (or just about). There's no one else knocking the door down. As good as our midfield is, we still need someone to at least split the ruck decisions or we’ll go downhill rapidly.

Anyone who wants to trade him, I ask - Who will be No. 1 Ruck in 2 years. 211 and Griff will be done (or just about). There's no one else knocking the door down. As good as our midfield is, we still need someone to at least split the ruck decisions or we’ll go downhill rapidly.

Moller is knocking gently. But that will get louder.

The team has serious issues if pace comes down to what ruckman is selected!

Trading for a ruck seems to be pretty easy in comparison to trading for a key forward. Essendon got Giles for a packet of chips. Ryder moved to Port for a 1st and 2nd rounder. Mumford moved recently for money. If we lost Clarke it would be easier to find a replacement in the near future. If he's asking for bulk cash he can leave IMO. The guy should be getting somewhere around the average wage, if not less.

Minson is probably gonna move. Gold Coast can't play both Smith and Nichols in the same team. GWS have Lobb developing nicely. Brisbane will probably lose Leuenberger.

100% Agree. I think we forget that Zac is a relatively young KPP/Ruck/Tall (however you'd like to describe him) and that they usually come on a bit later than others. I think we also forget that he basically rucked for the vast majority of the 2013 season and I think we did OK then. Sure he’s inconsistent, but he’s not alone there.
For those questioning his commitment and "effort" - you must've forgotten that he broke a rib (and punctured a lung) early in the Semi Final against Port last year and still played the game out.

Moller is knocking gently. But that will get louder.

The above two post could be both right, Clarke was very good in 2013 when he carried the ruck right through the regular season .
The club would no exactly where they think that both Clarke and Moller are at but there has been no contract talk re either so maybe there are trade options going on behind the scenes.

Trading for a ruck seems to be pretty easy in comparison to trading for a key forward. Essendon got Giles for a packet of chips. Ryder moved to Port for a 1st and 2nd rounder. Mumford moved recently for money. If we lost Clarke it would be easier to find a replacement in the near future. If he's asking for bulk cash he can leave IMO. The guy should be getting somewhere around the average wage, if not less.

Minson is probably gonna move. Gold Coast can't play both Smith and Nichols in the same team. GWS have Lobb developing nicely. Brisbane will probably lose Leuenberger.

Money will get you a top line ruck, Ryder, Mumford,. Giles has spent all year in vfl even when Bellchambers is not playing , Minson is 30, Leunenberger is injured again, and Smith has never been the same since the knee injury. Good rucks are either develop in your club or you pay top dollars for them.
Lobb is developing nicely but Sandi absolutely smashed him last Sunday..

Any idea how's Clarke is travelling? Is his knee injury just a minor setback, or is it related to that injury he had at the end of 2014? Just curious, as with Sandi out, Clarke normally relished in the number 1 ruck role.

My concern with Z Clarke, is that he is always going to be good next year or when he's the number 1 ruck or when he finds consistency or when something else happens. Surely he has been on the list long enough to just be good.
Plenty of people seem to think he goes well at Peel but not in the AFL. Part of that is because he is bigger, faster and more mobile than most of those he plays against in the WAFL, but at AFL level he isn't any of those. I had this discussion before with others and I actually don't rate his games at Peel as well as others do. IMHO Griff is both a better ruck and a better forward than ZC.
Clarke's strength is his mobility and he just doesn't use it enough. He is at his best when playing like buddy. By this I mean that he gets up north of the 50 on a good lead, pluck's a mark and wheels and goes for home. In this scenario he has a massive boot and is actually better in full flight than having a set shot. I've seen him do this a 4 or 5 times in the last 12 months and anytime he is about 60-65 out against the left side boundary I would put money on him slotting it. Right side is less convincing but seen him bag one or two there as well. Someone needs to tell him to mark and go more often.
Well if Griff is any sort of forward why didn't he kick any Goals last week for the Dockers and the week before that for Peel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back