BlightysCats

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2013
Northcote
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Phil Opiontube Phillies
Understand your cynicism. Everyone here would have felt it after 2006? Rnd 6 2007? This club is capable of a quantum leap. They have form for it.
Terrible comparison. Again I'd obviously like us to rise next year but comparing this season to 2006 or our current team to the one in 2006 is ridiculous.

Mahlepi

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2015
danger zone
AFL Club
Geelong
C'mon Blighty'sCats. We still have Enright, Mackie, Bews and Thurlow running off half back with a couple of half decent bigs too. 4 in fact with Taylor, Lonergan, Kolo and Henderson if we get him. In terms of forward pressure, if we get Dangerfield and S.Selwood, then J Selwood and Danger will both spend more time forward, just adding to our forward pressure. I would have thought Lang and Gregson showed some forward pressure too. Add Clark and the two other monsters in Vardy and Stanley operating up forward in rest periods from ruck, and Blizavs solely on the ball putting pressure on there better ball handlers, with Murdoch and Motlop on the outside, you have to be delusional to think we wont be fast enough or pressuring enough to compete with the best.
A squad like Backs Kolo, Henderson, Taylor, Lonergan, Mackie, Enright, Bews, Thurlow
Mids Selwood, Dangerfield, S.Selwood, Guthrie, Duncan, Caddy, Motlop, Blizavs, Bartel
FWDS Hawkins, Clark, Stanley, Vardy, Menzel, Murdoch, McCarthy, Lang, Gregson,
Ruck options Smith, Stanley, Clark, Vardy
Extras: Smedts, Cockatoo, Gore, Cowan, Horlin-Smith, Kersten, Bates, Cunico, Delaney and any further draft picks. Not a bad looking depth for finals footy I'd suggest.
More optimism from the masses please, top hat or no top hat.
thats top4, and a genuine tilt

Nov 30, 2000
No longer in a premiership drought
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
LUFC/MSRLC/MVFC
Terrible comparison. Again I'd obviously like us to rise next year but comparing this season to 2006 or our current team to the one in 2006 is ridiculous.

In hindsight and on current output yes, but no one could have envisaged what would happen in the years after 2006. No one.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
But it's the best and fairest over the course of the whole season, not the 60% of the season a player was fit for. If they're not fit that's tough t***ies.

Otherwise that devalues the performances of those who were fit. "Oh I'm sorry, we know you busted your gut for 23 weeks but to make it fairer to the injured players only your best 12 games will count towards the award". No that's unfair on those who busted their guts to keep us competitive all year. Otherwise we might as well give a top 10 finish to Bartel or Clark...
Obviously 12 games is to little. Need some balance.

P and Biggy together in tandem always spells disaster. Strong recommendation that the Vardy, Menzel and Cowan continued injury nonsense goes to the same old arguments thread. It has been discussed ad nauseam.
We might make a mod of you yet. ;)

BlightysCats

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2013
Northcote
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Phil Opiontube Phillies
C'mon Blighty'sCats. We still have Enright, Mackie, Bews and Thurlow running off half back with a couple of half decent bigs too. 4 in fact with Taylor, Lonergan, Kolo and Henderson if we get him. In terms of forward pressure, if we get Dangerfield and S.Selwood, then J Selwood and Danger will both spend more time forward, just adding to our forward pressure. I would have thought Lang and Gregson showed some forward pressure too. Add Clark and the two other monsters in Vardy and Stanley operating up forward in rest periods from ruck, and Blizavs solely on the ball putting pressure on there better ball handlers, with Murdoch and Motlop on the outside, you have to be delusional to think we wont be fast enough or pressuring enough to compete with the best.
A squad like Backs Kolo, Henderson, Taylor, Lonergan, Mackie, Enright, Bews, Thurlow
Mids Selwood, Dangerfield, S.Selwood, Guthrie, Duncan, Caddy, Motlop, Blizavs, Bartel
FWDS Hawkins, Clark, Stanley, Vardy, Menzel, Murdoch, McCarthy, Lang, Gregson,
Ruck options Smith, Stanley, Clark, Vardy
Extras: Smedts, Cockatoo, Gore, Cowan, Horlin-Smith, Kersten, Bates, Cunico, Delaney and any further draft picks. Not a bad looking depth for finals footy I'd suggest.
More optimism from the masses please, top hat or no top hat.
Lang and Gregson to supply forward line pressure....You do realise the entirety of Hawthorns forward line provide forward line pressure? Hence why there's only really ever one tall in it at any one time. Also Lang and Gregson didn't provide much forward pressure this season, I'd like to see their stats for tackles inside forward 50. Despite the fact I love Thurlow he's not exactly the quickest guy and Bews wasn't even getting a game for us in the last 6 weeks of the season, so our problem with speed off half back will remain. In fact in general we really lack quality players with outside speed. I'm not being deliberately negative I'm just pointing out obvious holes in our team that premiership or even top 4 teams simply don't have. We'll finish between 5th and 10th next year.

Larry Donohue

Premium Platinum
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Yep I 2nd that.
Henderson Lonergan Enright
Thurlow Taylor Kolo
Mackie Selwood Blitz
Motlop Clark Murdoch
Menzel Hawk Vardy
Smith Dangerfield Duncan

INT Stanley (rotating with Vardy and Smith with sub rule gone), Guthrie, Bartel, Caddy.
EMERGENCIES: S.Selwood, Smedts, Cockatoo, McCarthy, Lang, Gore, Cowan, Bews, Gregson, Cunico, Hyphen, Kersten, draft picks

Room for them all in my eyes.

strauchnyy

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Smith will be a GREAT get for us.

- firstly he is a no.1 ruck. Blitz is a mid, Stanley a no.2, vardy forward/no.2, Clark forward.

- was the BEST young ruck in the AFL prior to knee injury. Came third in rising star. Whilst he recovered Nicholls stole his spot and it takes usually a couple years after a knee injury to regain form.

- is athletic. Will work supremely well with Stanley.

- stanley can spend more time as a third tall forward.

- is 205cm

- is 25, that's a key age for our next batch and will be a core part of the team whilst selwood, danger, Duncan, Motlop, Hawkins, Henderson, Lang, Menzel, vardy, cocky, Guthrie, thurlow, kolo are around.

I remember thinking in 2011 how good smith looked and believe he will become a top 5 ruck in the afl at geelong if he stays injury free.

Cronin

Cancelled
Jul 22, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics

- firstly he is a no.1 ruck. Blitz is a mid, Stanley a no.2, vardy forward/no.2, Clark forward.

- was the BEST young ruck in the AFL prior to knee injury. Came third in rising star. Whilst he recovered Nicholls stole his spot and it takes usually a couple years after a knee injury to regain form.

- is 205cm

- is 25, that's a key age for our next batch and will be a core part of the team whilst selwood, danger, Duncan, Motlop, Hawkins, Henderson, Lang, Menzel, vardy, cocky, Guthrie, thurlow, kolo are around.

I remember thinking in 2011 how good smith looked and believe he will become a top 5 ruck in the afl at geelong if he stays injury free.
Let's just hope everyone can stay on the park

Particularly Dangerfield yes, but im not sold on the rest yet. And I think the game has moved way beyond the 'one player can make us great' notion.

The game never had to evolve past the 'one player can make us great' notion.
That notion only exists in the mind of certain delusional people, and they are the ones that need to evolve past that notion.

Mahlepi

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2015
danger zone
AFL Club
Geelong

- is 205cm

he was in an environment he hated
he isnt a drug party s**t head
decent kid

Cronin

Cancelled
Jul 22, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
I was rooting for a Lobbe/Stanley ruck combination but a fit and healthy Smith/Stanley combo could be just as damaging. That along with Vardy or Clark holding down CHF and giving an extra chop out if need be sounds pretty good

CharacterFirst

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2011
A wilful, lavish land.
AFL Club
Geelong
Holy crapballs (as my nine-year old says)! We're up to our necks in it this year, aren't we? Our golden age was defined by sound drafting and development. Perhaps us embracing the FA/trading era could yet bring the biggest windfall...

Call me an eternal optimist; hell - call me delusional for all I care - if we manage to pull of the biggest trading coup in a single AFL season, AND we have some luck re form/injuries with said recruitments to the point that our ruck stocks and key backs are replenished for the next six or seven years, we could bloody well go all the way - starting from NEXT year!

Boy oh boy, wowee!
I blame Chris Scott.

Nothing good will come of him.

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Like your optimism but even with all our trade period gets we still have zero forward line pressure, very little speed off half back, and are tactically genuinely light years behind the best few in the comp. We're nowhere near a flag perhaps with the rise of Cocky and a few others we might be in a few years.

Isn't Murdoch our runner out of half back? And Thurlow's kicks are like bullets. Lang and Gregson are giving excellent forward pressure.

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
How could we have got Wright? He was taken two picks before us.

no he wasn't.
Collingwood's pick was a father/son selection and were always going to take him so we were only one selection behind Gold Coast.
We could have traded with Gold Coast in exchange for their pick if we really wanted to get it done. We may even have tried that at the time who knows.

Either way, they aren't bereft of tall timber, Gorringe, Leslie, Nicholls, Wright, and of course Smith. Get rid of Smith, they still can't keep em all.

Back