Delisted Zachary O'Brien (2013-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions coach Justin Leppitsch in physical clash with rookie Zac O'Brien

Brisbane Lions coach Justin Leppitsch has been involved in a physical clash with a young player at a seconds game at the weekend.

Leppitsch grabbed Lions rookie Zac O'Brien in the coaches' room at half time of the NEAFL match after the young player had disrespected the seconds coach Shane Woewodin.

It is alleged Leppitsch grabbed the rookie by the throat and pinned him against the wall as he yelled at the 24-year-old midfielder, telling O'Brien his behaviour was not acceptable. The incident was heard by the rest of the team.

Leppitsch & O'Brien apologetic over incident

Speaking this afternoon, O’Brien said: “I overreacted on the bench, which I’m not happy about and very remorseful and regret it.

“At halftime I went into the rooms with Justin and we had a chat, and we’re two pretty passionate people who care a lot about the Club and things got a little bit heated.

“But we put it to bed yesterday, I’m happy with where it’s at and Justin’s happy with where it’s at. We’ve cleared the air and are on good terms.

“I’m very comfortable with where I stand with the Club and the Coaches. I’ve got a good working relationship with Justin and I think this is just a little hiccup.

“We’ll move forward from here and be bigger and stronger for it.”

O’Brien will be ineligible for Senior selection for the next two games for swearing at Woewodin, but will still be eligible to play NEAFL during that time under a penalty handed out by the Club.

Reserves Wrap - Gold Coast - 02/05/2015 (Shane Woewodin's comments)

A lot quieter this week, probably tried to do a little too much early in the game and got caught a few times. I’ve just asked him to keep it simple. Had no impact in the second half, we asked him to do a job on Hallahan, he was probably even matched in the second half. Need Zac to bounce back after the bye.
Geeze Woey, disappointed that you didn't play this up for laughs...

Reserves Wrap - GWS - 17/05/2015 (Shane Woewodin's comments)

Was tagged by Jake Barrett. Barrett probably had him for the first half. Zac responded in the second half and was able to get on top of his opponent. Continued to work hard throughout the day as an inside mid for us. Still got to work on his first option rather than taking on too many tackles. Ball security was very good on the day.

Reserves Wrap - Hornets - 23/05/2015 (Shane Woewodin's comments)

Best game for the season to date with Zac. A different role on the weekend, we played him more as a high forward/midfield. His compliancy in terms of his execution by hand and foot was very good. He was very good around the ball, he had 13 clearances for the day which is a great result, and ability to rack up 40 possessions. So an all round game, plus his six tackles, a complete game and certainly best on ground. Puts him in line for senior selection I believe in his ability to play another role. It was a good day for Zac.

Reserves Wrap - Gold Coast Suns - 27/06/2015 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

We played him a bit more as a fifth, as a high forward coming up to stoppage. His impact around the stoppage areas was really good, I think he had eight clearances, five or six tackles. He equalised well, he had four shots on goal as a forward so that was very good. He could have kicked three or four. We probably want to see Zac use the ball by hands a bit more rather than take on tackles, that will be his focus during the week. He had 41 touches for the game and was one of our best players for the day. A great attitude shown.

Reserves Wrap - NT Thunder - 04/07/2015 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Again changed up a different role this week. Played him more as an inside mid with the lack of midfield depth for us. Again Zac was pretty good around the ball, probably our best player on the day. Collected 35 possessions, a really good balance between contested and uncontested and 10 clearances. He had a really good balance in transition with inside 50s and rebound 50s. He didn’t hit the scoreboard as much which I’d like Zac to continue to work on. Again a good effort for the day as our best player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reserves Wrap - GWS - 25/07/2015 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Again our best player for the day. We felt Zac was covering the ground really well, very strong in the contest. I thought his transition in terms of his running was so much better than previous weeks. His ability to run 30-30 throughout the day was terrific. Still some work in deny for Zac to improve on in transition but again he really wanted the contest on the weekend.

I feel like after his incident with the coaching staff, I don't think leppa will keep him for next year. I think that leppa played him a few times in the seniors to pretend that there's no hard hard feelings but I guess its all just for show. A shame really, I thought he was decent in his last few outings in the seniors but it doesn't look like he'll be getting another game this year. Maybe some other club will give him a chance but this is probably it for his afl career if he can't get a game in a bottom of the ladder club then no other club will probably touch him.

Reserves Wrap - Sydney - 01/08/2015 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Inside mid all day, he was clearly best on ground. He’s had 50 possessions for the day but in that a really total game. Really good around the contest, laid seven tackles, had 10 clearances and 10 inside 50s. His work rate was exceptional throughout the day, his ability to fight in the contest and provide the forwards an opportunity with his crumb work as an inside mid was terrific. He got tagged in the second half, but still had an influence on the contest throughout the day.

Reserves Wrap - Redland - 29/08/2015 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Played again as an inside mid. Rested forward again also. He had another really solid display, had 30 possessions. He was our highest clearance player on the day, he had seven of them. The good thing for Zac is that he both rebounded from defensive 50 and put balls inside the attacking 50 as well, he’s able to cover the ground really well and run both lengths. He laid another four tackles.

Our 2015 Club Champions

Ryan Lester was named the 2015 Marcus Ashcroft Most Professional Player Award with Zac O’Brien the recipient of the Neville Fallon Reserves Best and Fairest.

O'Brien wins Lions' Reserves Best & Fairest

Zac O'Brien completed a second season in the AFL system this year and at the Lions’ Club Champion Awards in September he polled the highest number of votes for a Reserves player, eventually winning the Lions’ Reserves’ Best and Fairest Award for 2015.

He finished with 55 votes – 34 more than Rohan Bewick, who was the next best Lion with 21 votes.

It was a terrific effort from the midfielder, who not only missed seven games due to senior AFL commitments, but was also part of a Lions side that won their last two home games for the season (a total of four wins in 2015).

Bewick's result was also remarkable, given that he had spent more than three quarters of the season in the seniors, and played only a handful of NEAFL matches.

Mitch Golby (16 votes), Liam Dawson (9) and Tom Cutler (9) were other Lions to poll well on the night.

Player Reviews: Part Ten

Zac O'Brien completed a second season in the AFL system this year. He was awarded for his effort at the Lions’ Club Champion Awards in September when he polled the highest number of votes for a Reserves player, eventually winning the Lions’ Reserves’ Best and Fairest Award for 2015. It was a terrific effort from the midfielder, who not only missed seven games due to senior AFL commitments, but was also part of a Lions side that won their last two home games for the season (a total of four wins in 2015). O’Brien was able to move past an incident with coach Justin Leppitsch early in the season and prove his worth at NEAFL and AFL level.

O'Brien Believes The Lions Can Comeback

WANGARATTA-born, Brisbane Lions midfielder Zac O'Brien says the Lions can turn their tumultuous 2015 campaign into a successful season next year.

After narrowly avoiding the wooden spoon with a 17th place finish ahead of Carlton, O'Brien says there is no reason why the Lions can't complete a Western Bulldogs-style turnaround.

“We were hit really hard with injuries this year,” he said.

“But if we get everyone on the park we can climb up the ladder.

“We've seen sides like Port Adelaide and the Western Bulldogs achieve success with their younger players, and I think we're capable of that as well.

“I don't think it will take too much for us to turn it around.”

396371_nl.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back