Zimbabwe Tri Series: Australia/South Africa/Zimbabwe

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do we need an allrounder at 8?

Wouldn't selecting a better bowler and putting more pressure on the batsmen by threatening for wickets and keeping it tight be better than selecting your bowler because your number 8 might need to save the day?

I'd rather select my best bowlers and select my best batsman.
When you consider that Johnson, Coulter-Nile, Faulkner, Starc etc. can all bat it makes even less sense to bother with an all-rounder at 8.

Wouldn't selecting a better bowler and putting more pressure on the batsmen by threatening for wickets and keeping it tight be better than selecting your bowler because your number 8 might need to save the day?

Any all-rounder at 8 would have to be worth picking on their bowling alone. In other words, Mitchell Johnson.

If they want Faulks in the team, he should be given trials at 6. I think he'd go fine there.

Bit of each way with Clarke, as good as he is, I rather Smith at 3, and I want him to keep playing tests for longer, Smith's leggies will be important. All rounders are important in ODI's.

Clarke should retire from ODI's and just concentrate on test cricket.

Any all-rounder at 8 would have to be worth picking on their bowling alone. In other words, Mitchell Johnson.

If they want Faulks in the team, he should be given trials at 6. I think he'd go fine there.

Batting is not perceived to be strong enough. The preference is for a batting all rounder - hence Mitch Marsh, this allows them to play a front line spinner and go with the best three fast men.

Faulkner is a goer - I like him a lot but at Test Level he's going to struggle to make it on the current composition you would think.

Batting is not perceived to be strong enough. The preference is for a batting all rounder - hence Mitch Marsh, this allows them to play a front line spinner and go with the best three fast men.

Faulkner is a goer - I like him a lot but at Test Level he's going to struggle to make it on the current composition you would think.

I wouldn't have thought that Faulks batting or bowling is strong enough at present for test cricket. Which sounds a bit weird as his first class bowling stats are very good, but he doesn't seam or swing it enough.

I was more speaking of him at ODI level as he's batted well enough in that format for Aus to have chanced him at 6.

Clarke should retire from ODI's and just concentrate on test cricket.

Nope, we need a rock in the middle of the order when things don't go to plan. Also don't think Smith should be his immediate replacement if he pulls out, Voges can turn over strike then accelerate later in the innings.

I honestly think Voges and Bailey locking into gear batting together could destroy any team. This thread is getting ridiculous when Clarke, Bailey, Watson and Finch are thrown around to not play. Seems the 'hate but we really love but really hate' one in Haddin is the only that is apparently a lock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rilee Roussouw and Duminy chipped in but it looks like another dry pitch which isn't easy to score quickly on. Faf is consistent though.

Ball gripping and holding in and not conducive to good strokeplay. Zimbab will be flat out scoring these runs in twenty-five overs to progress to the final.

Last edited:
Finally delivered that broken ******* arm
http://www.sportsfan.com.au/johnson-breaks-south-africans-arm-/tabid/91/newsid/142480/default.aspx

"It wasn't Jimmy Anderson, but Australian destroyer Mitchell Johnson has broken the arm of an opponent. Ryan McLaren, the South African allrounder who is all too familiar with Johnson's thunderbolts, will miss the rest of the one-day tri-series in Harare after suffering a hairline fracture in his forearm during Tuesday's loss to Australia. Back in February's first Test against the Proteas at Centurion, Johnson struck McLaren in the side of the helmet with a vicious blow which left the 31-year-old bleeding from the ear. McLaren was admitted to hospital a day later and played no further part in the series.Now Johnson has sent him back to the medicos for the second time in six months, this time to treat a broken arm."

Poor bloke...can't take a break.

Oh yes he can :eek:

http://www.sportsfan.com.au/johnson-breaks-south-africans-arm-/tabid/91/newsid/142480/default.aspx

"It wasn't Jimmy Anderson, but Australian destroyer Mitchell Johnson has broken the arm of an opponent. Ryan McLaren, the South African allrounder who is all too familiar with Johnson's thunderbolts, will miss the rest of the one-day tri-series in Harare after suffering a hairline fracture in his forearm during Tuesday's loss to Australia. Back in February's first Test against the Proteas at Centurion, Johnson struck McLaren in the side of the helmet with a vicious blow which left the 31-year-old bleeding from the ear. McLaren was admitted to hospital a day later and played no further part in the series.Now Johnson has sent him back to the medicos for the second time in six months, this time to treat a broken arm."

Poor bloke...can't take a break.

Oh yes he can :eek:

McLaren doesn't wear an arm guard because it's uncomfortable.

He should learn to deal with that discomfort when playing Australia

We seem to want to select an allounder at 8.

And 9 & 10 too.

Nope, we need a rock in the middle of the order when things don't go to plan. Also don't think Smith should be his immediate replacement if he pulls out, Voges can turn over strike then accelerate later in the innings.

I honestly think Voges and Bailey locking into gear batting together could destroy any team. This thread is getting ridiculous when Clarke, Bailey, Watson and Finch are thrown around to not play. Seems the 'hate but we really love but really hate' one in Haddin is the only that is apparently a lock.
voges should be seen as a replacement for clark in the middle order along with smith.
voges isnt an explosive basemen in the Bailey category. voges still scores at a good rate but nudges the ball around

Remove this Banner Ad

Back