Zuma's 50 to 1 Best of Tom Petty/Heartbreakers

Remove this Banner Ad

Song 2 - Refugee - Damn The Torpedoes - 1979

It's 1978 and TPATHB with Jimmy Iovine and Shelly Yakus have bunkered down in Sound Studios laying down live take after live take after live take (over 100 were recorded) in pursuit of capturing the true spirit of this song. Stan Lynch is getting frustrated, Ron and Mike walk out of the studio, Tom sings his throat raw and Benmont's organ knew no other tune. Fortunate for the band they never gave in and this song ended up being Refugee one of their most significant recordings of their career.

Mike came up with the riff initially and took it to Tom who's lyrics were in responses to his battles with the record company. The song became a hit and helped propel Damn the Torpedoes up the charts and has been played at virtually every gig since. The song rocks and has attitude and feeling and captures these young men in their prime. The drums still sound great and the song still hits you between the eyes all these years later.

The original video

Still going strong in recent years

Song 1 - American Girl - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - 1976

On their first album the band recorded perhaps their signature song, a chiming and melodic ode to American Girls. The song comes out on all the big occasions and is often their closing song at every concert the band plays. In 1976 someone famously played this song to Roger McGuinn formerly of The Byrds and he asked "when did I write that one?" With Petty's Rickenbacker and nasally vocal it sure sounded like a young Roger who fast became friends with Petty. The song highlights the fantastic rapport between Stan and Ron with a funky mid song break down and Mike plays a scintillating solo the end the song. I think the song has stood the test of time, and sounds brilliant live and surely is the best song they have on an album, their first album and what a feat that is for this band who were consummate pro's then and show no signs of letting up now. Enjoy my #1 selection:

Even better with age

Thread now open for all your honourable mentions, discussion all things TPATHB. There was some material that didn't fit my criteria such as hits "Stop Dragging My Heart Around" and "Mary Janes Last Dance". Which albums do you like the most? Who has seen Tom live?

Song 1 - American Girl - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - 1976

On their first album the band recorded perhaps their signature song, a chiming and melodic ode to American Girls. The song comes out on all the big occasions and is often their closing song at every concert the band plays. In 1976 someone famously played this song to Roger McGuinn formerly of The Byrds and he asked "when did I write that one?" With Petty's Rickenbacker and nasally vocal it sure sounded like a young Roger who fast became friends with Petty. The song highlights the fantastic rapport between Stan and Ron with a funky mid song break down and Mike plays a scintillating solo the end the song. I think the song has stood the test of time, and sounds brilliant live and surely is the best song they have on an album, their first album and what a feat that is for this band who were consummate pro's then and show no signs of letting up now. Enjoy my #1 selection:

Even better with age

Still such an incredible pop rock song. A big part of its legacy will also be inspiring one of the greatest rock songs of the 21st century. The Strokes - Last Night..

I really like Echo from the same titled album so I'm surprised you couldn't make room for it

It's a real depressing song, a very emotional song, some of Tom's best phrasing you can hear the pain and lament in his voice, it was real and it is one song that probably should have been in the Top 50, this demonstrates just how many quality songs Tom has.

It's a real depressing song, a very emotional song, some of Tom's best phrasing you can hear the pain and lament in his voice, it was real and it is one song that probably should have been in the Top 50, this demonstrates just how many quality songs Tom has.
The ending of a long term relationships can certainly sour the tone, but its raw and honest, which is what attracts me to the song

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"well I woke up, in a pooool of sweat, with a box of pilllls" "her poison came I liquid, she was naked all the time"
Some of the lines in the song dont follow the narrative of his troubled marriage and subsequent divorce, which I presumed was what this track was about

RIP Tom. He was not well but stayed true to his Won't back down ethos and finished his tour at the Hollywood Bowl. I hope anyone who loved his music will continue to play it and keep it alive.

Song 22 - Insider - Hard Promises - 1981

Tom Petty and Stevie Nicks were so great together and Tom wrote this song intended for Stevie Nicks debut solo album but could not part with it, the lyric is so beautiful. The pair were hot with their hit "Stop Dragging My Heart Around" which Petty did provide for Nicks' solo album they also did a great cover of "Needles and Pins" in the mid 80's. Enjoy their version from TPATHB 30th Anniversary Homecoming concert back in 2006

Insider is just beautiful!

I appreciate live performances more than any other 'effective' form of marketing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back