WEST COAST: 4.3, 11.8, 19.14, 25.16 (166)
MELBOURNE: 1.1, 4.2, 6.2, 9.4 (58)

After yet another shocking day at the office, Mark Neeld will surely dread what news may come to his door to complete the week from hell.

Neeld has had to deal with the death of the club champion Jim Stynes, destructive Jack Watts speculation, a shellacking from the Brisbane Lions, an unfounded racist accusation and the club’s record sponsor being dropped due to a racist plank of a CEO.

While he obviously wouldn’t have been expecting a win at Patterson’s stadium – a three-figure loss will have him scratching his head and wondering how he can resurrect the concerning line of form.

The game started well for the away side with them putting noticable pressure on the Eagles.

The score remained at 13-6  through most of the first quarter with Scott Selwood starring and Andrew Embley’s dislocated shoulder the main talking points.

James Frawley had a day to forget

James Frawley’s ill discipline was perhaps the catalyst in the Eagles going into the first change three goals up. Selwood and James Magner were the early accumulators with the former winning 12 touches and a goal and the latter 11 possessions.

Josh Kennedy started the second quarter with a couple of golden chances to convert and put the Eagles further in front, but the starlet was innacurate – scoring minors on both occassions.

Frawley continued a horror day at the office with eccentric kicking and slow leads allowing West Coast to keep the ball in their forward line and keep the pressure bubbling.

Ashton Hams, who was substituted into the field of play for the injured Embley, was able to capitalise on some questionable umpiring to extend the Eagles’ lead to eight goals at half-time. Amazingly, the free kick count at the main break was at 20 to one to the home side.

Coming out after half time, the Demons looked devoid of ideas. Ghosts of bruise-free football returned as the Eagles used the wide expanses of Patterson’s to capitalise on Melbourne’s inspidiness.

The match blew out to 108 points before the final siren went and West Coast could celebrate their renewed Premiership credentials. The Demons trudged off the ground, embarrased again, as Mark Neeld was forced to front the media, and their innevitable barrage of questions, once again.

Mitch Clark was a rare highlight for Melbourne as he drilled 5 majors, while Jack Darling and Quinten Lynch converted 4 each. James Magner and Matthew Priddis both battled for 32 possessions, while Scott Selwood stole the show with 34 touches.

3: Scott Selwood
2: Mitch Clark
1: Matthew Priddis


West Coast: Darling 4, Lynch 4, Hams 3, S. Selwood 3, Hill 3, Waters 2, Kerr, Shuey, Gaff, Kennedy, Naitanui, A.Selwood, Shuey

Melbourne: Clark 5, Jones 2, Dunn 2


West Coast Embley (shoulder), Rosa (cork)
Melbourne: Nil

UMPIRES: Farmer, Leppard, Fila