Fremantle supporters rejoice -

FREMANTLE           2.8    6.9    8.14   12.15 (87)
PORT ADELAIDE     3.2    3.4     6.4     7.5 (47)

Fremantle have claimed a hard-fought 40-point win over Port Adelaide.

The Dockers proved to be too resilient at Patersons Stadium, answering Port Adelaide’s every challenge.

Fremantle captain Matthew Pavlich was at his impressive best yet again, capping today’s win with his 500th career goal.

Port Adelaide got off to a fantastic start, kicking three of the first four goals to highlight early that they intended to make the Dockers earn their win.

Inaccuracy on Fremantle’s part denied them a first-quarter lead, with the teams deadlocked at the first change.

Fremantle gained the initiative in the second quarter, kicking four unanswered goals to leave Port Adelaide in their wake.

Pavlich was particularly effective, booting two of the home side’s four goals to help the Dockers take a 23-point lead at the half.

Port Adelaide once again raised questions of Fremantle in the third quarter, outscoring their opponents by three goals to two.

It was to be Fremantle’s day however, as they piled on four final-quarter goals to cap off a great day for the men in purple.

Fremantle now sit one win behind the top placed clubs, leaving them lurking to mount a finals challenge.

They will next travel to Tasmania to face Hawthorn while Port Adelaide will seek their second against an out-of-form North Melbourne.

Votes :

3. M Pavlich (Fre)

2. Michael Johnson (Fre)

1. Chris Mayne (Fre)

Pavlich 4, Mayne 3, Crowley, Ballantyne, De Boer, Pearce, Sandilands
Port Adelaide: Butcher 2, Broadbent 2, P Stewart, Westhoff, Brad Ebert

Hill, Broughton, Crowley, Pavlich, Sandilands, Duffield
Port Adelaide: McCarthy, Chaplin, Cassisi, Trengove, Rodan


Fremantle: Dylan Roberton replaced Lachie Neale in the fourth quarter
Port Adelaide: Brett Ebert replaced Daniel Stewart at three-quarter time

Reports: Nil

Umpires: Ritchie, Margetts, Dalgleish

Official crowd:
30,079 at Patersons Stadium