RICHMOND                                            4.2    6.7    9.14    11.20 (86)
GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY          2.0    5.1    8.1      12.2 (74)

Richmond have secured a hard fought 12-point win over GWS at Skoda Stadium

The Giants’ extreme accuracy in terrible conditions allowed GWS to stay in touch with Richmond despite the Tigers being well in control around the ground.

Tigers prove too strong for Giants -













Brett Deledio was excellent everywhere,  while Ivan Maric dominated in the ruck.

Richmond were dominant throughout the first 10 minutes, recording the first 12 inside 50s.

During that period, Richmond were only able to put two goals on the board. GWS were far more efficient in their limited forward opportunities, with James McDonald kicking a goal to get the home team under way.

By far the most exciting minute was Jonathon Patton’s first two marks and subsequently, his first goal. His first touch was a contested mark on the lead with his arms outstretched in the drizzling rain.

His second contested mark was a chest mark in a pack of Richmond players in the GWS forward 50, from which he went back and kicked his first goal in AFL footy.

Despite the early domination, Richmond only took a 14-point lead in to quarter time.

Determined not to be dominated like they were in the first 10 minutes of the game, GWS came out firing at the start of the second with a soft free kick to Jeremy Cameron before the ball was even bounced, gifting them the first of the second.

Another quick goal to Toby Greene brought the margin back to within two points.

However, Richmond started to claw the momentum back, yet they were once again ineffective with their forward entries, with only star midfielders Deledio and Trent Cotchin kicking goals for the Tigers. It was once again costly, with Rhys Palmer kicking a late goal towards the end of the quarter to cut the half-time margin to just 12 points.

The Giants started the second half in the same fashion as the second quarter; with goals to Andrew Phillips and Dylan Shiel levelling the scores.

Richmond needed somebody to respond and they got it, with key forward Jack Riewoldt kicking two of Richmond’s next three goals to create a handy gap against a stubborn young side.

Cameron was able to mark from a good piece of play late in the quarter and reduce the margin to 19 points at the final change, giving GWS all the momentum in what was suddenly looming as a golden opportunity for the expansion club’s second victory.

GWS carried on with the momentum gained from Cameron’s goal, with the Giants kicking the first three goals of the quarter to bring the margin back within six points with four minutes left to play.

Again needing someone to respond, Richmond bad boy Daniel Connors took his chance to shine, booting two quick goals to extend the margin back out to 18 points and seal the game for the Tigers.

A late consolation goal to Rhys Palmer brought the final result back to a 12-point win for Richmond.


3) Brett Deledio (Richmond)

2) Ivan Maric (Richmond)

1) Shane Tuck (Richmond)

Riewoldt 3, Connors 3, Edwards 2, Cotchin, Deledio, Jackson,
Greater Western Sydney: Cameron 3, Greene 2, McDonald, Palmer, Patton, Phillips, Schulz, Shiel

Deledio, Conca, Edwards, Houli, Martin, Ellis
Greater Western Sydney: Cameron, Davis, Cornes, Greene, McDonald, Ward

Edwards (ankle)
Greater Western Sydney: Haynes (groin) replaced in selected side by Whiley

Brett O’Hanlon replaced Jake Batchelor in the fourth quarter
Greater Western Sydney: Sam Schulz replaced Mark Whiley at three-quarter time

Umpires: Stevic, Kamolins, Mitchell

Official crowd: 7,358 at Skoda Stadium