RICHMOND 3.7 9.8 12.11 18.13 (121)
ST KILDA 3.4 9.6 10.14 16.17 (113)

In a see-sawing game Richmond has triumphed over St Kilda to make it two wins in a row. The Tigers were able to hold off a last quarter scare to hold on for an eight point win.

The much anticipated game delivered a thrilling shootout with 34 goals kicked. For most of the game neither Richmond of St Kilda was able to build a substantial lead as the two teams traded goals. Jack Riewoldt was the main beneficiary kicking right and ultimately proving to be the difference between the two sides.

The Tigers will be thrilled with the result; they needed to win this game to prove to not only the rest of the football world but themselves that they had made some steps forward this year. They will be particularly proud of their performance in the last quarter, despite giving up their lead they did not stop and were able to wrestle it back.

The Saints on the other hand will be disappointed that they did not snatch the win. They will rue their inability to make the most of their chances, a one goal eight third quarter was especially damaging. This loss should leave them outside of the eight at the end of the round and will make it just the little bit harder to make the finals in a tight year.

Richmond burst out of the blocks in the first quarter. They dominated the midfield and Trent Cotchin led the way with eight disposals. However despite their dominance and constant forward 50 entries they could not convert kicking 3.7. Alternatively the Saints were quite efficient, especially in the rebound as Ahmed Saad got on the end of a couple of quick breaks, but they were still left behind at the break.

The floodgates opened in the second quarter as it rained goals, 12 to be exact. Richmond began the quarter well and started to convert their opportunities, Jack Riewoldt excelled adding three more goals to make it five. His cousin Nick also stood up bringing the Saints back into the game along with its midfield.

They looked like taking a lead into the half but Brett Deledio’s goal with eight seconds left gave the Tigers a two point lead.
After the half it was St Kilda who came out firing, they began to get on top in the clearances and the inside 50’s. Despite this they could not convert kicking just one goal to accompany their eight behinds. Richmond led by Robin Nahas were able capitalise. Nahas was best afield in the quarter, he had eight disposals, two goals and set up a third. His work gave Richmond a nine point lead at the final break.

The frantic final term was reminiscent of the second as another 12 goals were piled on. The first two went to Richmond and it looked as if it was over as the Tigers built a 20 point lead. Saints however came again, kicking the next four and regaining the lead. The game appeared to be in St Kilda’s favour before Richmond, much to the delight of the Tiger Army, settled again and, lead by Jack Riewoldt, kicked four of the next six goals to run away winners.

Riewoldt starred with 8 goals -

Riewoldt was clearly best on ground with eight goals. He looked as if he may have fired too early still stuck on his five first half goals mid way through the last but he stood up when he was needed the most; kicking three goals in the last 15 minutes. What made his game even more impressive was is defensive pressure which directly resulted in one goal.

He was joined by Ivan Maric who continued his amazing opening to the season; Maric controlled the ruck with 33 hitouts, also laid fourtackles and kicked a goal which shows how important he is for the Tigers. Trent Cotchin also stood up when needed; he had 29 possessions and seven clearances.

As for St Kilda Brendon Goddard had a field day on the half back line gathering 25 disposals; he also drifted forward for a goal. David Armitage also stood up on a night where St Kilda’s big names were not as effective.


3) Jack Riewoldt

2) Trent Cotchin

1) Brett Deledio

Richmond: Riewoldt 8, Edwards 2, Nahas 2, Deledio, Tuck, I. Maric, Martin, Vickery, Ellis
St Kilda: Saad 3, Riewoldt 3, Armitage 2, Milera 2, Gram 2, Goddard, Dal Santo, Koschitzke, Milne

Richmond: Riewoldt, Deledio, Nahas, I. Maric, Cotchin, Grigg, Newman, Tuck
St Kilda: Armitage, Saad, Gram, Riewoldt, Goddard, Montagna

Richmond: Foley (bruised heel)
St Kilda: Cripps (hamstring)

Richmond: Addam Maric replaced Nathan Foley in the fourth quarter
St Kilda: Arryn Siposs replaced Jamie Cripps in the third quarter

Reports: Nil

Umpires: Stevic, Hay, Meredith

Official crowd: 49,337 at Etihad Stadium