Adelaide took on Fremantle

ADELAIDE       4.5    7.8   12.15   17.17  (119)
FREMANTLE   3.3    7.4   10.5     14.7     (91)

Adelaide has strengthened its credentials as a top two side with a comfortable 28 point win against Fremantle at AAMI Stadium.

The Crows, led by Patrick Dangerfield (34 disposals, 10 clearances and two goals) and Matthew Wright (37 disposals and two goals), answered every challenge thrown at the by the desperate Dockers, who themselves are fighting for a spot in September.

Adelaide started exceptionally well, with a Walker goal with in the first couple of minutes resulting in the perfect Crow start. Adelaide were unable to convert their many scoring chances, which was amplified when Ballantyne kicked a goal against the flow to bring the margin back to under a goal.

It became an old-fashioned arm wrestle, as Fremantle would fight back while Adelaide would respond, with the margin remaining around the one to two-goal range in favour of the Crows. A late Thompson goal left the margin at eight points at quarter time for the Crows.

In contrast to the first quarter, it was Fremantle who got off to the perfect start in the second quarter with captain Matthew Pavlich impacting the scoreboard for the first time. It triggered a series of goal for goal plays in which Adelaide and Fremantle exchanged blows.

It wasn’t until Stephen Hill and Kepler Bradley kicked consecutive goals did the streak break and with it, Fremantle hit the front for the first time. As was the case for most of the evening though, Adelaide was able to respond immediately through Callinan which turned out to be the final goal of the half, leaving Adelaide with a 4 point half time lead.

The third quarter began with a blistering start from Adelaide. Walker quickly slotted his third goal of the game before David Mackay kicked one of the goals of the year, evading three Fremantle players to kick a long running goal from 45 metres out.

The next four goals were shared between Walters for Fremantle and Dangerfield for Adelaide, as both players tried to wrestle back control for their respective teams.

Late goals to Neale for Fremantle and Douglas for Adelaide left the margin at the final change at 22 points.

An early goal Clancee Pearce gave Fremantle an inkling of hope but it wasn’t to be.  The last quarter very much reflected the first three quarters, with Adelaide responding to every Fremantle challenge.

Matthew Wright managed to kick two last quarter goals for the crows to top off what was a career best game for the Adelaide midfielder.

Walker’s fourth and final goal of the game sealed a vital 28 point win for the Crows, a win that should secure a top 2 finish for 2012.

Adelaide will now travel to the GABBA to take on Brisbane will Fremantle will host Richmond in a must win game next Saturday.


3) Patrick Dangerfield

2) Matthew Wright

1) Daniel Talia

Walker 4, Dangerfield, Callinan, Wright 2, Douglas, Johncock, Mackay, Riley, Sloane, Thompson, Vince
Fremantle: Walters 3, Pavlich 2, Ballantyne, Barlow, Bradley, De Boer, Duffield, Hill, Mayne, Neale, Pearce

Dangerfield, Wright, Talia, Walker, Johncock, Reilly
Fremantle: de Boer, Mundy, Barlow, Duffield, Pearce, Griffin

Fremantle: Mayne (concussion)

Aidan Riley replaced Lewis Johnston in the fourth quarter.
Fremantle: Lachie Neale replaced Chris Mayne at half-time.

Reports: Nil

Umpires: McBurney, Margetts, Wenn

Official crowd: 35,027 at AAMI Stadium

Read the thoughts of sets of supporters after the big game at BigFooty

Adelaide Crows

Fremantle Dockers