Sydney 13.18.96

Collingwood 10.10.70

One game remains for Sydney, who humbled a disappointing Collingwood by 26 points on their way to the 2012 AFL Grand Final.

The Swans

Sydney were switched on from the start, intent on ending their 10 game loosing streak against Collingwood. Their game plan was clear, win the contested ball and move it quickly to their outside runners.

All night the Swans were taking the Collingwood tackles then releasing the handball to a free player which left the Pies exposed.

Josh Kennedy led the way, the big bodied midfielder collected 19 contested possessions and kicked 2 goals. The rest of the Swans midfield was also excellent, the likes of Ryan O’Keefe and Dan Hannebery were too good for the All Australian Collingwood midfield.

On the outside Lewis Jetta was spectacular, he constantly broke the lines and his stunning 90 meter running goal will be remembered as a great finals moment.

The Magpies

Collingwood had few winners on the night. Scott Pendlebury tried to pull his team along with 30 disposals, 10 clearances and 10 tackles. Ben Reid was solid under constant pressure while  Harry O’Brien was one of the few Pies that tried to take the game on.

While there were some Pies players that got plenty of the ball, like the rest of the team their disposal let them down. Turnovers not only hurt them on the rebound but it meant that forwards rarely got a clean delivery.

The Match

Sydney got away to a fantastic start kicking the first two goals, both of which came from Magpie turnovers out of defense. Dawes hit back only to have the Swans answer with two more including Jetta’s brilliant goal, the Swans inaccuracy was the only thing keeping the Magpies in the game.

Collingwood started the second quarter with much cleaner disposal. A series of accurate short kicks lead to Cloke’s opening goal. The Swans took up the Magpies challenge and started to ramp up the pressure. After Kennedy kicked his second Sydney looked in control.

From there the game descended into a scrap, the constant stoppages suited the Swans whose midfield was on top.  But just as in the first quarter the Swans were missing their chances. It took an Adam Goodes goal to end the 10 minute deadlock and give the Swans a 5 goal lead at the half.

Sydney continued their assault after the half, the defining moment came from a switch to Wellingham who instead of taking the tackle then handballing as the Swans had all game, he opted to tap the ball which resulted in a turnover and Jetta’s second goal.

Jetta then kicked his third from a terrible handball from Toovey and the game was looking over. Then in the last minute the Pies put through two goals to raise some doubt.

If Collingwood were any chance they needs the first, and the obliged with the first two. However Sydney were not going to be over run

They stepped up a gear and were assaulting the goals, but yet again couldn’t put through a finisher. It fell to Craig Bird to put the game beyond doubt.
In the last 5 minutes the teams traded goals but it had no bearing on the result. Jude Bolton capped of his 300th game with the Swans last goal to send them into the 2012 Grand Final.
Sydney Swans: Jetta 3, Bolton 2, Kennedy 2, Roberts-Thomson 2, Bird,
Goodes, O’Keefe, Mumford
Collingwood: Cloke 3, Beams, Dawes, Fasolo, Goldsack, Johnson, Swan, TarrantBEST
Sydney Swans: Kennedy, O’Keefe, Jetta, Hannebery, Shaw
Collingwood: Pendlebury, Reid, O’Brian  Cloke, Beams