BigFooty News runs a quick weekly wrap-up of the Victorian Football League.

Finals Week 3

Port Melbourne 12.15 (87) defeated Williamstown 7.11 (53)

Preliminary Final 1

North Port Oval, 2.10PM Saturday 15th September

These two are the most traditional teams in the league. The Seagulls had won their way through via the semi-final, while Port Melbourne won their qualifying final and were hot favourites for this match. Port Melbourne started the match well to lead by 2 goals at the first break. The margin remained around the same with Williamstown just hanging in the contest through the second and third quarters. Port Melbourne were always going to win and the Borough did not let through any goals in the final term while kicking two of their own to win by five goals.

Fletcher Roberts kicked three goals for the Seagulls while Will Burstin and Adrian Bonaddio kicked two for Port Melbourne. Mitchell Wooffindin was best on the ground with 25 disposals. For Williamstown, Stephen McCallum kicked a goal and had 20 disposals. That’s it for the season for Williamstown while Port Melbourne move onto their second consecutive grand final, hoping for back to back premierships.

Leading goalkickers: Fletcher Roberts (WS) 3, Adrian Bonaddio (PM) Will Burstin (PM) 2.

Votes: 3. Mitchell Wooffindin (PM), 2. Hugh Sandilands (PM), 1. Stephen McCallum (WS).

Werribee 15.13 (103) defeated by Geelong 16.12 (108)

Preliminary Final 2

North Port Oval, 2:10PM Sunday 16th September

Werribee were the favoured side heading into this match, winning their qualifying final against Casey two weeks earlier. Geelong finished third on the ladder, one position above the Tigers, but were still the underdogs. The match started off fairly evenly, but Geelong did hold the ascendancy by three goals to one at quarter time. Geelong got a move on in the second quarter, booting six goals while the Tigers only kicked three to lead by 32 points at the main break. Werribee kicked more goals than the Cats in the third term but in saying that, Geelong still kicked four and led by 29 points at the final break.

Tigers coach Scott West gave his side a big emotional plea during the three quarter time break and it worked. Werribee stunned Geelong by kicking six goals in the final term to only two. It was a frenetic final two minutes with the ball stuck in the forward line of the Tigers, but they couldn’t get the job done and Geelong got the job done, but not without a fright. Ben McKinley and Ben Warren kicked 3 goals each for Werribee while Mitch Brown also kicked 3 for Geelong. Sam Gibson was best on ground with 2 goals and 27 disposals. Geelong move through to the Grand Final while that’s it for 2012 for Werribee.

Leading goalkickers: Ben McKinley (WT) Ben Warren (WT) Mitch Brown (GC) 3, Sam Gibson (WT) Majak Daw (WT) Robbie Castello (WT) Simon Hogan (GC) George Burbury (GC) Darcy Holden (GC) Orren Stephenson (GC) 2.

Votes: 3. Sam Gibson (WT), 2. Majak Daw (WT), 1. Shannon Byrnes (GC).

Round summary

So Port Melbourne and Geelong will play off in the 2012 Peter Jackson VFL Grand Final this Sunday at Etihad Stadium. The game starts at 2:30PM with the curtain raiser starting at 10:30AM the TAC Cup Grand Final between Gippsland and Oakleigh. Both matches look set to be great contests, so make sure you get down to the Docklands. Tickets are just $20 and kids under 15 are free.

The VFL was formed as the VFA in 1877 and was renamed the former in 1995. It took on its current status in 2000, as the reserves league to the Victorian AFL clubs, as well as maintaining its traditional clubs and still creating a pathway for the best local players.