RICHMOND            5.1    6.6    11.8    16.10 (106)
PORT ADELAIDE  2.5    6.7    12.8    16.10 (106)

Richmond and Port Adelaide have fought out an agonizing draw in their final game for the season. The only positive from the game came from Jack Riewoldt who secured the Coleman medal.

Both teams were out of finals contention so had only pride to play for, but neither were able to even achieve that in the first draw of the 2012 season.

The Tigers let yet another close game slip from their hands. This result brought even more pain as they could not honour Chris Newman who announced before the game that it would be his last game as captain.

Port Adelaide will fell a bit better as they were able to win interim coach Gary Hocking his first premiership pints. However they were also in a position to take the full points and they will be disappointed that they could not finish with a win.

Jack Riewoldt was the other story of the day, he needed 4 goals to become the outright winner of the Coleman Medal. He was able to bag his fourth late in the 4rd quarter and finished with six as one of the most influential plaayers on the ground.

Richmond’s other best included Trent Cotchin who capped off his brilliant season with yet another 30+ disposl game which included 8 clearences and inside 50’s. Bachar Houli was also impressive of the half back line with 6 rebound 50’s.

As for Port Adelaide Brad Ebert was excellent through the midfield and all while sneaking forward to kick 3 goals. Matthew Broadbent also hit the scoreboard with 2 goals and despite some mistaken almost got the Power over the line. Finally Jay Shulz was good again against his old club, leading the forwards with 4 goals.

The Power started the game strong getting the ball forward often but they couldn’t convert managing only 1 goal before the Tigers turned the tables mid quarter.

The second half of the quarter was all Richmond as they began to hit forward targets, Riewoldt, Nahas and Edwards all benefited and duly converted. On a negative note they lost Helbig to an ankle injury and subbed him off only 15 minutes into the game.

In the second quarter Port Adelaide began to erode Richmond’s lead. A marked increase in kicking efficiency lead to better opportunities for the forwards. Shultz kicked two late in the quarter to put Power up by a point at the half.

The Power flew out of the blocks in the second half, after conceding the first goal, they kicked 3 in two minutes to open up the biggest margin of the game. a few more goals were exchanged between the teams before Riewoldt stepped up.

He cut the margin from 18 to 6 kicking his 3rd and 4th goals, whipping the crowd into a frenzy. A big last quarter was looming.

In the last Danyle Pearce opened the scoring  before Richmond answered 5 of the next 6 to take the lead and increase it 13 points.. Their elite players such as Martin an Riewoldt stood up and the crowd got behind them.

However Port did not give up, in one of the goals of the year, David Roden got the ball on half back, fan to 50 and goaled. This spark lead to one more goal form Aaron Young who got the Power within a point.

Then a Dominic Cassisi bombed a long ball from outside 50 bounced through for a point to end a Marvell game.


1) Trent Cotchin

2) Jack Riewoldt

3) Brad Ebert

Riewoldt 6, Edwards 3, McGuane 2, Astbury, Grigg, Nahas, Post, Tuck
Port Adelaide: Schulz 4 Brad Ebert 3, Brett Ebert 2, Broadbent 2, Pearce, Rodan, Thomas, Wingard, Young

Cotchin, Riewoldt, Houli, Tuck, Jackson, Deledio, Jackson
Port Adelaide: Brad Ebert, Schulz, Broadbent, Pearce, Boak, Cassisi, Hartlett

Helbig (ankle), Martin (hamstring)
Port Adelaide: McCarthy (groin)

Brad Helbig (ankle) replaced by Brett O’Hanlon in the first quarter
Port Adelaide: John McCarthy replaced by David Rodan in the third quarter

Reports: Nil

Umpires: Kamolins, Pannell, Jacob Mollison

Official crowd: 27,893 at the MCG