The AFL has released this update for the weekend.
- The match tonight between Fremantle and the Geelong Cats at Optus Stadium will proceed as planned in accordance with Covid protocols in line with WA Government requirements.
- The Western Bulldogs will travel to Gold Coast this morning via charter flight ahead of their fixtured match against the Gold Coast SUNS to be played at Metricon Stadium on Saturday, July 17.
- The Sydney Swans and GWS GIANTS will relocate from Melbourne to Queensland via charter flight this morning as part of the AFL’s cautious approach relating to the evolving Covid situation. Their Round 18 match, fixtured to be played at Mars Stadium in Ballarat will be relocated, with a venue to be determined shortly.
- North Melbourne and Essendon will travel from Melbourne to Queensland via charter flight this afternoon with their Round 18 match, fixtured to be played at Marvel Stadium to be relocated, with a venue to be determined shortly.
- AFL Supplementary Protocols will be in place for all Victorian teams from midday today, Thursday July 15.
AFL Executive General Manager Clubs and Broadcasting Travis Auld said the league would continue to make decisions that ensure the season is able to progress during the ongoing pandemic.
“The decisions we have made this morning regarding the locations of a number of teams have been taken out of an abundance of caution. Our approach remains to take risk out of the season where the opportunity presents,” Mr Auld said.