I dont care what they say, we're not wearing it (the white jumper) any more": Swann

Charbzilla

All Australian
Feb 29, 2008
Templestowe, Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23482745-23211,00.html
Jumper clash could cost Blues

By Mike Sheahan
April 04, 2008
CARLTON are locked on a collision course with the AFL that threatens to cost the Blues $100,000.

Chief executive Greg Swann reaffirmed his promise early this week to defy the AFL on the clash-jumper issue.

With one proviso.

Swann reluctantly acknowledged the case for the alternate white jumper for the game against Melbourne in Round 5, but said that would mark the end for the widely despised reserve strip.

"I don't care what they say, we're not wearing it (the white jumper) any more (after round five)," Swann said.

He said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

"We are the Navy Blues, not the Insipid Whites," he said.

"It's a famous strip, has been for 150 years. It's our branding, it's in our theme song."

Swann told 3AW's Sports Today earlier this week the Blues had banned the white jumper after an angry response from supporters, including former players, following their loss in white to St Kilda.

"We're not wearing it again," he declared.

He has since backed off a little, mindful that Carlton and Melbourne have probably the most obvious clash in the competition. Given their Round 5 fixture is a Melbourne home game, he accepts the Blues will have to go white again that day.

Swann says the AFL needs to clarify the situation for all clubs, with a vast majority of supporters angry about seeing their teams in alternate strips so often.

Adelaide, Brisbane Lions, Carlton, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide, West Coast and the Western Bulldogs all wear alternate strips ridiculed by traditionalists.

"I'll probably raise it at the CEOs' meeting (next week) to see whether the other blokes think it's gone too far," Swann said.

"It's gone from being an alternate strip when you needed one to half a dozen times a year.

"Why is that? Who's driving it? That's what I want to know. We say it's got out of hand. The fashion police in the (AFL House) have got it wrong."

It is understood the AFL may fine clubs $5000 per player for failing to wear the prescribed uniform.

Swann said AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson called him late and said "they would take our thoughts on board".

P.S. I have a man-crush on Swann

Charbzilla

All Australian
Feb 29, 2008
Templestowe, Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
FANTASTIC REPLY OVER AT HERALD SUN

Author: Blue Bawls

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/afl/fanforce/index.php/heraldsun/comments/white_is_for_maggots

WHITE IS FOR MAGGOTS

Friday, April 04, 2008 at 10:53am

I will chuck in a few extra bucks if the AFL fines us for wearing that stupid white strip and start the Pride Appeal.
Piss it off. Not since that stupid M&M blue jumper that proved what a sell-out John Elliot truly is have we been more removed from our tradition and pride.
It’s like waving the white flag, and we’re through with that. We are the Old Dark Navy Blues and, as good guy Greg Swann said yesterday, not the Insipid Whites.
Good onya, Swannie, for giving it to the AFL.
This is the kind of leadership that will give us the pride we have needed for so long and spur the boys on the field just that little bit more.
What next from the AFL? Will it do that most ridiculous of things that happened with Superleague and have our players perform dances when they kick a goal?
Will the banners become advertising billboards?
Will cheerleaders welcome our team onto the field? Hmm, okay, that’s not such a bad idea, but I just wish the AFL would stop messing around with this kind of stuff and sort out more important issues, like sending Collingwood to western Sydney (this town ain’t big enough for the two of us).
Anyway, that Greg Swann is standing firm is a fantastic sign that the blokes who run our club are fair dinkum.
And we supporters should show the AFL just what we think by backing Swann and our club.
If every one of us paid $2.50, we’d cover that fine ($3 and we could have a beaut barbecue at the end of the season) and I’ll happily get the ball rolling.

Master of Cooks

Team Captain
May 13, 2007
In the Jungle
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Mt Waverley
Stop carry on like a bunch of babies. If the AFL decided that teams have to have a clash jumper then so be it. Now we are just carrying on like collingwood thinking that we are more important than the AFL.
Get off your high horse and take a look around. The game is changing whether we like it or not, and we have to change with it.
Whether you like the clash jumper or not, get over it, accept it and get behind the team and hopefully we'll get a win this weekend.
If nothing else you have to agree that the extra revenue created by the clash jumpers for the club is a good thing.

Scruff83

Club Legend
Jun 5, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Stop carry on like a bunch of babies. If the AFL decided that teams have to have a clash jumper then so be it. Now we are just carrying on like collingwood thinking that we are more important than the AFL.
Get off your high horse and take a look around. The game is changing whether we like it or not, and we have to change with it.
Whether you like the clash jumper or not, get over it, accept it and get behind the team and hopefully we'll get a win this weekend.
If nothing else you have to agree that the extra revenue created by the clash jumpers for the club is a good thing.

We are not carrying on like babies or collingwood, just standing up for something we believe in. i suppose we should stop complaining about all the rule changes too and just accept that the almighty afl always knows best?

its people with ur attitude that will let the afl ruin this great game. :thumbsdown:

So if the AFL decided that each team has to wear pink shorts, wear fluro yellow and have colour co-ordinated bandanas for each position, you'd be all for it?

I don't mind the white jumper - and I am as much a traditionalist as anyone (and have supported the club for nearly 40 years).

FWIW, I agree with this point:
what you do need to do is get the AFL to make up its freaking mind about when you are supposed to wear it and preferably get them to minimise the number of times it is brought out.

They don't have a choice. lol. We've made the decision. :)

well, he backed down from it (softened) pretty quickly during the radio interview...i'd be pretty happy for us just to pay the 100k every second week though.

i'd be pretty happy for us just to pay the 100k every second week though.
I'd suggest there would be more worthwhile areas to direct our funds to than paying AFL fines (eg debt reduction). ;)

So if the AFL decided that each team has to wear pink shorts, wear fluro yellow and have colour co-ordinated bandanas for each position, you'd be all for it?
For heaven's sake, stop giving the AFL ideas EBIAC. :D

There's nothing wrong with your very classy white jumper

Nothing wrong with it until the West Coke Eagels start chopping it up and snorting it!!!

On a more serious note, for decades upon decades the 'clash' was avoided by having one team in dark shorts and one team in white shorts, why has this suddenly become ineffective?!?!

PS Make sure your answers include the words merchandise revenue...

bibi01

Club Legend
Sep 18, 2003
Kop End
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I have no problem with a clash jumper.

In an ideal world navy blue each week would be great, but it's not an ideal world.

what I have a problem with is players who can't get the basic skills of football right and clubs that do not do enough to address this problem......................... we are this club.

let's not worry about what jumper we are wearing and let's worry about winning games of football.

bibi01

Club Legend
Sep 18, 2003
Kop End
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Nothing wrong with it until the West Coke Eagels start chopping it up and snorting it!!!

On a more serious note, for decades upon decades the 'clash' was avoided by having one team in dark shorts and one team in white shorts, why has this suddenly become ineffective?!?!

PS Make sure your answers include the words merchandise revenue...

spot on the problem is easily solved by altering socks and shorts.

in vary rare cases a sligh modification might be needed to the jumper.
haw currently have a white back on their jumpers rather than the brown and gold stripes- other teams could follow suit.

Master of Cooks

Team Captain
May 13, 2007
In the Jungle
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Mt Waverley
We are not carrying on like babies or collingwood, just standing up for something we believe in. i suppose we should stop complaining about all the rule changes too and just accept that the almighty afl always knows best?

its people with ur attitude that will let the afl ruin this great game. :thumbsdown:
Explain to me how us refusing to wear a clash jumper is any different to collingwood refusing?

I hate the rule changes and wish that they'd pi$$ off the rules committie, but really there's not much we can do about it. Would you be happy if carlton stated that from now on they're not going to except the 'hands in the back rule' and therefore gave away free kicks at every contest, just to make a point?
There are better ways to go about things, and if carlton are strongly against the clash jumpers then they should go about it a smarter way.
I didn't pay my membership to help pay the clubs fines.
$5000 per player not wearing a clash jumper x 22 players = a $110,000 fine per match.:thumbsdown:

Back