FTA-TV Battlestar Galactica (Season 4 Spoilers)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Battlestar Galactica is brilliant!

Nahhh, better than all of them.

Not really. Better then B5 which was ordinary but not better then Stargate and certainly not Star Trek which is the benchmark of sci-fi.

Most sci-fi polls have either The X-files or Star Trek at the top of the heap as they should be.

Re: Battlestar Galactica is brilliant!

I'm glad Starbuck is still alive ...

I'm a fan of Balitar btw, and I think he's given a raw deal, I can't really blame him for what he did, might be bit of a coward at times, but he isn't evil ...

Space Opera Returns: One Last Step for Mankind

By ALESSANDRA STANLEY
Published: April 4, 2008

Earth, not space, is the final frontier of “Battlestar Galactica.”

The galaxy-wandering survivors of an apocalyptic attack begin the fourth and last season of this Sci Fi Channel wunderseries where they left off: with the faint but improbable hope that one of them has found the lost, mythical home planet.

Whether anyone should believe Kara Thrace, a k a Starbuck, the swashbuckling fighter pilot who was thought to be dead for two months and cannot account for her lost time or prove her claim, is only one of many mysteries confounding the crew of the Galactica. Another is her latest sleeping arrangements: Kara (played by Katee Sackhoff) has a husband and a lover (two, if one counts the amorous Cylon who held her captive on the robot-occupied settlement New Caprica).

“Battlestar Galactica,” which begins on Friday, is a space opera, a high-minded space odyssey with more than a touch of the daytime soaps. It is critically acclaimed and widely respected, but the science-fiction show’s fiercely dedicated cult following has become something of a mass-culture joke: the two lonely mathematicians on the CBS sitcom “The Big Bang Theory” decline lunch with a pretty girl so they can view the commentary on the DVD of Season 2.

And that is a disservice because “Battlestar Galactica” is one of the more beguiling series on television, an action-adventure drama that travels through time and space to explore morality, politics and metaphysics. Science fiction often serves as a modesty curtain that permits authors to think big thoughts at a safe remove — special effects and laser make-believe palliate abstract musings and pompous parables that might otherwise bore or offend viewers. (Without phasers and Vulcan death grips, the moralizing streak in the original “Star Trek” would have been insufferable.)

This series’s central premise — war between humans and rebel robots — is founded on moral ambiguity. The enemy Cylons are a mechanical race created by humans to serve as slaves and soldiers; the Cylons evolved into sentient beings and rebelled, developing their own civilization and a monotheistic theology — one that commands them to destroy the sinful pagan human race, which was once spread across the “12 colonies of man.” A Cylon nuclear attack wiped out billions of people. The fewer than 50,000 survivors roam space in a fleet led by the Galactica’s commanding officer, William Adama (Edward James Olmos), and the civilian president, Laura Roslin (Mary McDonnell). The two occasionally clash — shifting debates that make the case for and against military dictatorship, for and against democracy. But they are close and their shared quest is to evade the Cylons hunting them and find the “13th colony,” which according to ancient scriptures is Earth.

Sci Fi plans a prequel called “Caprica,” which will describe the halcyon time before robots could think for themselves. This version, which began as a 2003 mini-series, is a “reimagined” adaptation of the original 1978 series starring Lorne Greene.

It takes the religious undertones to the forefront, adding more shades of ambiguity to the mix. The humans are polytheists (an odd mixture of classical mythology and scriptural fundamentalism). The robots are monotheists leading a crusade, or jihad, against the infidel humans — even though they know that the humans gave them life. Some Cylons think they are human, and some of the humans fear they may be Cylons. And almost everybody has a guilty conscience.

The third-season finale ended with the shocking revelation that four of the most prominent and dedicated crew members were actually Cylons, members of a special breed of sleeper robots who were “awakened” to their true nature by faint strains of music (a version of Bob Dylan’s “All Along the Watchtower”). They believe they are humans first and foremost, but worry that they may be programmed to betray their friends and lovers by remote control. And a fifth Cylon lurks somewhere among them, still unidentified, but possibly even more dangerous than all the rest.

Last season served up an extended examination of war, insurrection, torture and suicide bombing. Many interpretations saw the humans’ insurrection against the Cylon occupation of their settlement as an allegory for Iraq and even the Palestine-Israel conflict, but the signals are scrambled. The jihadist Cylons could be seen as stands-ins for Muslim fundamentalists, but it is the humans who strap explosives onto their chests and blow up collaborators. Mostly, the final episodes burrowed deep into the confounding choices faced by the individuals involved: collaboration, however distasteful, can save innocent lives; resistance, obviously noble, condemns innocent people to death.

Faith and identity are interwoven themes in the fourth season. Dr. Gaius Baltar (James Callis), the skirt-chasing scientist who was forced by invading Cylons to lead a puppet government on New Caprica, becomes an unlikely spiritual leader. After being judged not guilty last season by a human tribunal, he becomes a pariah with a cult following. Somehow, his prison writings inspired a dissident group whose members believe he has healing powers and worship at his feet. Baltar, played hammily as a selfish, cowardly survivor, is to “Battlestar Galactica” what Erica Kane is to “All My Children” — an amusingly villainous central character who brings a little campy comic relief to all that earnest, jaw-clenched melodrama.

The multitude of exegeses and theories devoted to major plot twists and minor details attest to the series’s enduring egghead appeal. But “Battlestar Galactica” also provides plenty of spicy sex and Space Age violence. It’s science fiction for viewers who don’t particularly care about science and prefer their fiction veined with allusions to fact.

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Sci Fi, Friday night at 10, Eastern and Pacific times; 9, Central time.

Ronald D. Moore, executive producer and writer; David Eick, executive producer; Toni Graphia, co-executive producer; Harvey Frand, producer. A Universal Media Studios production.

WITH: Jamie Bamber (Lee Adama, a k a Apollo), James Callis (Gaius Baltar), Aaron Douglas (Gaelin Tyrol), Richard Hatch (Tom Zarek), Tricia Helfer (Number Six, Caprica Six), Michael Hogan (Colonel Saul Tigh), Mary McDonnell (President Laura Roslin), Edward James Olmos (Admiral William Adama), Grace Park (Sharon Valeri, a k a Boomer), Katee Sackhoff (Kara Thrace, a k a Starbuck).

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/04/arts/television/04gala.html?ref=television

My penis is about to explode with anticipation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awesome first up Episode!
When Saul shoot the old man, I was just like :eek: But since it had been a little bit since I had seen the show, I'd forgotten how they like to trick us sometimes.

Oh and my money is on
Gaeta
being the 5th Cylon.
Just a few things with him don't seem to add up for me. We nothing off his background and he's ALWAYS involved in the major crisis's that seem to hit the Battlestar. Nothing concrete, but it's got me thinking.

You don't have to worry about posting spoilers. The title has the warning. People who come in without having seen the most recent episodes do so at their own risk.

Gaeta's probably the favourite out of the three I named as you mentioned. He's a developed character who's been recurring very frequently.

I liked it :thumbsu: When Tigh "shot" Adama for a few seconds I was like :eek: but then I thought "Nah, they aren't going to kill his character off, at least not this early in the season" and then it was revealed to just be Tigh's day dreaming.

The battle scenes at the start of the episode were very good too :thumbsu:

Baltar's cult/sex slaves stuff I found a little annoying at times but I think that's just because I was more into the Starbuck and newly discovered cylons stuff.

I like this show :thumbsu:

You don't have to worry about posting spoilers. The title has the warning. People who come in without having seen the most recent episodes do so at their own risk.

Yeah, the spoiler policy is stuff that has aired in the country of origin (in this case USA) doesn't need a spoiler tag but any stuff that has not aired in the country of origin does need spoiler tag. I emphasise the later as some of you have been reading stuff from the writers about who and isn't the final cylon :p

I liked it :thumbsu: When Tigh "shot" Adama for a few seconds I was like :eek: but then I thought "Nah, they aren't going to kill his character off, at least not this early in the season" and then it was revealed to just be Tigh's day dreaming.

The battle scenes at the start of the episode were very good too :thumbsu:

Baltar's cult/sex slaves stuff I found a little annoying at times but I think that's just because I was more into the Starbuck and newly discovered cylons stuff.

I like this show :thumbsu:

Yeah I had same reaction when Adama was shot. Was in shock for few seconds. The final cylon is an interesting one, naming Tigh as one was such a huge shock, you would think they would have to top it. Guess just have to wait and see. Agree about Baltar, great character and I love the new direction they have taken him in.

In the Razor movie and the flashback webisodes I swear Starbuck is behind the door when Bill Adama parachutes in to that Cylon human experimentation place.

She might not be the 5th cylon but she might be a sort of quasi cylon like that old dude in the tub in Razor. I dunno, i'm sure much more will be revealed next week when we see if Starbuck pulls the trigger or not.

(keeping in mind Laura must survive as the scripture's say a dying leader will lead them to earth - well now she's dying again)

and thank goodness for that...... there is abit of a drought atm for good tv shows....

only New Amsterdam, Battlestar and Lost comes to mind..... perhaps Survivor too >,>

haven't touched Eli stone yet...... been getting good reviews....but the description of "Ally Mcbeal with a guy" put me off :p

ps: Didn't the Razor movie also revealed that Starbuck is not to be trusted?

ie: that message the cylon gave the girl before the ship exploded.

can't remember for sure.....

man this show really blows my mind :/

I'm confused about the retro Cylons in Razor. I can understand the earlier centurion model during the First Cylon War, but when Starbuck was assigned to Pegasus that was after the colonies were destroyed.

Surely all the centurions had been upgraded. They certainly weren't flying any fighter space craft in that form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back