Scandal Andrew Lovett

Remove this Banner Ad

don't bowl there said:
I must have missed something, didnt Leigh Montagna come out and admitt that he said that sledge?

No.

Leigh admitted to starting the melee by bumping Lovett. The Age incorrectly took it to mean the sledge as well. They printed a correction today.

Interesting to see it compared to the Montgomery/Ramanauskas sledge.

Ramanauskas didn't choose to have cancer.

Lovett chose to do what he did.

Fair game I say.

My thoughts exactly. No problem with any player sledging our blokes like that & no problem with our blokes returning in the like.

The Rama comment is the only specific sledge I've heard that I thought may have crossed a line. Obvioulsy racial stuff has been stamped out but for Pete's sake its an emotional game & bad things are gunna slip out. God knows I've said some things I'm not proud of on a footy field & even sometimes as a spectator.
As others have said we shouldn't be hearing everything the players say & I hate hearing the umpires lecture players. No need for mics.

I don't see why religion should be so protected. It's like saying... I choose to believe _____ on the basis that I want to, and you're not allowed to say anything bad about it.

Exactly. Using the same logic sledging based on political or any other type of beliefs should be banned too. I suspect religious sledging is banned due to certain religions being unable to cope with criticism (eg you say we are violent therefore we will blow you up to show how peaceful we really are :rolleyes:).

Also shouldn't sledging of red head and ugly players be banned, just like race a player doesn't choose hair color or physical attractiveness?

Interesting to see it compared to the Montgomery/Ramanauskas sledge.

Ramanauskas didn't choose to have cancer.

Lovett chose to do what he did.

Fair game I say.

So logically religious beliefs should be fair game because they are also chosen.

They all knew who said it from the start...Lyon was laughing about it on the box last night and didnt seem to think it was any big secret or anything noteworthy.

Cant imagine its the first time Lovett has copped it...wont be the last either. Nothing wrong with reminding him about it.

Agree, Lovett has major anger issues & all teams should give it to him.

I disagree.

Take the issue of religion. If one player said to another "Yeah, well, you're a f__ing muslim, mate" they are implying there is something wrong with being a muslim. That is not acceptable in our society.

If one player says to another "You bash your f__ing missus, mate" they are implying there is something wrong with bashing your partner, and the view of society agrees with them.

Provided, of course, that the second player WAS guilty of violence toward their partner, the first player cannot be censured for stating this fact, or condemning the other player for it.

Looking at it that way i agree but not simply because he stated fact should it be okay.

its the same deal with the whole cricket sledging ordeal

if no one involbved has a problem with it, then why is there an issue at all?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on :thumbsu:

It's the equivalent of getting a shoulder injury on the footy field and then chosing not to get off.

Fair game!! :)

Someone needs to tell a former captain of yours that, who has seen fit to go on about "class" and "sportsmanship" to the media with regards to this. ;)

Caro's comments really irked me. Just because the stupid microphones placed on the umpires(worst idea ever) pick up a harsh comment it doesn't mean that the AFL has to investigate it. It was not racist or religious, get over it.

It's a non-issue. Even Lovett is not interested in taking action. The only surprising thing is that the only time Riewoldt is heard in the umpire's mike is when he's not appealing for a free kick.

Footy Classified showed the vision last night which clearly showed Nick Riewoldt as the player who sledged Andrew Lovett as a wife-basher last Friday night.

The show promotes itself as having "no room for the feint hearted" but then Hutchy doesn't have the balls to name Riewoldt as the sledger???!!!

What little credibility Hutchison had as a serious journalist and not a muck-raking, disingenuous, self-referential argument starter disappeared last night.
And what credibility was that????? :confused::p

To the fool that said sledging is for the weak

Sledging is a part of every sport.
It is human nature that when u see another one for any length of time u want to interact/speak with them.

Your stuck in an elevator for a few hours your not going to ignore everyone an keep to yourself u will speak to them.

So your stuck on a footy field for 2 hours your not going to completely ignore everyone on the other team.

In sport you wont exactly speak on friendly terms as its like a battlefield your out there to beat them.
So u talk trash, stir them up etc
happens in every sport
In american sports they call it trash talk which is exactly what it is.
For some reason its called sledging here which makes it sound abit worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back