Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
All of a sudden the 'last' kick to kick after the siren ids being used as a marketing tool.

Isn't the sory that there is now an official ban on kick to kick ?

what a crock

MB1908

Senior List
Apr 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
In terms of in Melbourne I feel pretty lucky to be apart of the last generation of kids who got to do a kick to kick on the G and Waverley etc. But there hasn't been kick to kick on the ground afterwards in Melbourne for about 5-6 years i'm pretty sure.

LondonCalling

Premiership Player
Suspended
Jul 3, 2003
By the river
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Church of Simon Wiggins
IIRC, some bloke managed to do his knee, after slipping over in the wet at the 'G in a bit of after siren kick to kick, was lucky that the medicos from one of the teams were still there, carted him off to hospital, and then proceeded to engage the AFL in a s**t fight for who was responsible.

This combined with the Dome having it's surface problems at the time, lead to it to go. I think they've allowed it at the Dome maybe once? (Rd 22 2003 if Im not mistaken)

mwalker

Club Legend
Mar 1, 2006
Truro, Canada
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
In terms of in Melbourne I feel pretty lucky to be apart of the last generation of kids who got to do a kick to kick on the G and Waverley etc. But there hasn't been kick to kick on the ground afterwards in Melbourne for about 5-6 years i'm pretty sure.

It has been longer than that, I dare say 10 years+ I used to love running onto the G or Waverley, trying to get an autograph and then having a kick with my old man.

shibz_1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2005
Subiaco Oval
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Glory, Force, W.Perth
Oh, awesome. Will have to remember that for next home game.

Although, I have heard rumours that whether or not we can go onto the ground depends on whether there is a Western Force game within the few days after.

Vonsche

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2007
幻想郷
AFL Club
Richmond
Oh, awesome. Will have to remember that for next home game.

Although, I have heard rumours that whether or not we can go onto the ground depends on whether there is a Western Force game within the few days after.

That's probably true too. Was the same with the WAFL when Subi played there if there was an AFL game the day after we wern't aowed to go on if there wasn't we were.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Been kick to kick allowed on the MCG in the last 2 years since the redevelopment on the MCG was completed, just varies when they allow it, usually at the end of a weekend and unlikely to allow it after a huge crowd either. I remember going onto the ground from the new Ponsford stand, probably last year

Jul 17, 2004
Hotlanta
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
UGA, KSU, Knox C.C
Seems to be just the Melbourne grounds - I am sure it is due to liability issues but I am surprised, if that's the case, that the AFL hasn't applied the bans/restrictions wholesale. I suppose to comes down to the individual ground management.

Hopefully the grounds that do allow it will keep it that way, it's a great little tradition.

Back