Dwayne Russell - nails on a blackboard

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 22, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Am I the only one whose skin crawls whenever this bloke calls a game?

Nothing but cliches, hyperbole and mind-numbingly obvious comments. I only very rarely post 'bitch threads'... but as a Swans fan - stuck with Nine's Sunday 1pm coverage for five years, now the purgatory of Fox Sports - Dwayne Russell has dulled my pleasure in watching too many games.

Is there anyone out there who'll stick up for Bwain Dwayne?

I had to use the mute button tonight.Umpires are often affected by the home crowd and it seems commenatators are as well.Dwayne and Dunstall sounded like Weagles cheer squad members.

I had to use the mute button tonight.Umpires are often affected by the home crowd and it seems commenatators are as well.Dwayne and Dunstall sounded like Weagles cheer squad members.

I thought Dunstall was alright but Russell was very biased towards west coast i thought

It's regular that commentators favour either the home side or the underdog....when the the home side IS the underdog they can at times lay it on thick

Mostly it's subtle, but i think Dwayne couldn't hide it last night

If you think he hates you, listen to him call a Richmond or Melbourne game. He bags Richo at every opportunity.

If you think he hates you, listen to him call a Richmond or Melbourne game. He bags Richo at every opportunity.

Ahh Drayne Pussell, turned me off sports today when he took over after Hookesy was murdered, its his nasal drawl that gets me and the fact he hates the Demons and wants to stick the boot in all the time

I may be all alone on this one, but I reckon he's one of the best. Comes up with some ripping one-liners and gets excited at the right times. Tim Lane is one who I would say is on the decline, how old is he these days.

He sure loves his useless facts. I find him annoying and he exaggerates ordinary things. The worst commentator, or special comments, is without a doubt Malcolm Blight.

I agree, Russel aint that great.

Best commentators are:
- Stephen Quartermain
- Brian Taylor
- Peter Daicos (he was good, trust me)
- Huddo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely Dwaine's most annoying tendency is to list players life story every time they have the ball for any signifigant period.

"Andrew Macke with it on centre wing...taken Pick 7 in the 2002 draft...playing school footy for Glenelg in South Australia...surprised many at the time but Stephen Wells has certainly been justified..."

<week later>

"Andrew Macke with it on centre wing...taken Pick 7 in the 2002 draft...playing school footy for Glenelg in South Australia...surprised many at the time but Stephen Wells has certainly been justified..."

I swear to God I have heard that and Nathan Ablett's recruitment saga pass Dwayne's lips at least 500 times.

I have been on Drayne's back for a while. Rarely a game goes by where he doesn't pull out the cliche 'The natives are getting restless' in reference to the home side fans taking an umpiring decision personally.

I don't need to add what Carlton supporters think of him after his performance on Sunday night, just check out the thread on the Blues board

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453182

Anyway for a bit of a laugh at Drayne, check out the old (unfortunately) wikipedia entry for Fox's very poor replacement for Clinton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Dwayne_Russell&oldid=142612309

Am I the only one whose skin crawls whenever this bloke calls a game?

Nothing but cliches, hyperbole and mind-numbingly obvious comments. I only very rarely post 'bitch threads'... but as a Swans fan - stuck with Nine's Sunday 1pm coverage for five years, now the purgatory of Fox Sports - Dwayne Russell has dulled my pleasure in watching too many games.

Is there anyone out there who'll stick up for Bwain Dwayne?

ahh Drain Pussell, he is the worst doing games but even worse on Sports tonight, continually talks crap in excruciatingly nasal tone

whoever did the wikipedia - that is solid GOLD!

Dwayne Russell (born March 4, 1965) is a very ordinary former Australian rules footballer and currently an even more ordinary commentator of the sport. He played for the Port Adelaide Football Club in the SANFL, before crossing over to VFL club Geelong in 1987. He played 50 games for 51 goals until he was removed from the club in 1991 for trying to pass himself off as Gary Ablett's younger, better looking, but less talented brother at Geelong Nightclubs. Following his retirement he was meant to be the captain-coach of Colac- Coragulac for 1992. However, he appeared at only two training sessions, collecting the $3,000 dollars to undertake the role. On the eve of his first match, he quit his position when he discovered that the Colac-Coragulac Football Club had not installed a solarium in the team rooms, as per his persistent requests. The job later went to Michael Roberts, whom pundits had always considered to have a far greater tactical nous and grasp of the game than Russell in the Cheese and Milk Factory, Mister. Category A, B and minus C.

Sports journalism

Following rave reviews of his reviews by his parents,The Age newspaper decided to give him a chance at becoming a full-time sports journalist in 1997. Covering the major sporting events of Melbourne, Russell, built up a serviceable record as the number four sports writer at the number three sports paper in Melbourne. Following this success he was moved full-time to the papers coverage of the AFL in 1999, including a stint as the writer for the Pssst section of The Sunday Age Sport section in the mid-2000s.

Football commentary

By 2001 his writing on AFL had become so well-known that, beginning in 2000 Channel 9 gambled on him for the main callers role for Sunday Afternoon matches- they are only now paying back the money. In the five seasons, Russell, called AFL he was promoted to the networks calling team for the coverage Friday Night matches in 2006.
His other main occupation is as co-host of 3AW's top-rating drive-time sports show, "Sports Today" with Gerard Healy, of which Russell talks a lot of hot air and is out performed on a daily basis by the VFL-AFL Hall of Fame and 1988 Brownlow Medalist.
Against all odds Russell was boned out of Channel nine. He then bounced back like one of his many cheques when he received a contract with Fox Sports to call two weekly AFL matches for the Pay-TV provider for the 2007 season and beyond, under the new AFL TV Rights Deal, of which Fox Sports has four matches weekly during the Home and Away season to cover.
He was reported to be over the moon with this news, having been quoted as saying: "I can finally buy that solarium now."
Early reviews of his calls for Fox Sports have been luke-warm, but as they say "can only get better from here".

Dwayne is "out there" alright

/but he loves Hawthorn - "Cyril Rioli - you are a genius!"

Every goal a team scores when they cant win is "wallpaper over the cracks" according to Dwayne

I thought Dunstall was alright but Russell was very biased towards west coast i thought

It's regular that commentators favour either the home side or the underdog....when the the home side IS the underdog they can at times lay it on thick

Mostly it's subtle, but i think Dwayne couldn't hide it last night

like when richmond played freo this year, richmond (underdog) is up by ten goals with 5 minutes to go in the last quarter and russell is still shouting 'Its not over yet' 'freo can still win this one' gave richmond s**t the whole game, even before the game had started he said something along the lines of 'its going to be a long trip back for the tigers after this game is done, im surprised they even came out here'

having to listen to him for 3 hours didnt sour a great win but he sure pissed me off.

and whats wrong with this guys voice anyway?

seriously this twit should not be anywhere near a microphone or anywhere he can publicly broadcast his school boy stats and pathetic bias opinions.

"cyril rioli we looove youu!" :rolleyes: that call brings tears to my eyes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back