The Official 'Second Teamers' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon that a lot of the inaugural GC membership will be made up of the likes of me, ie someone who has a club, has had a club for many, many years, and really has no intention of abandoning that club, but has also been involved with local footy on the GC for years and spent a lot of time on the train to and from Brisbane to the Gabba, and can't wait for the AFL to return back here, this time in a manner not designed to alienate the majority of the population of the Gold Coast.

We have put up with the Titans getting all the publicity (and maybe even gone and watched a game, to our shame ;) ) but want we really want to see is footy back in the spotlight and on top of the heap as the number one game in town where it rightfully belongs, and as such we will be backing the team to the hilt.

However, whenever our own teams come to visit, we will unfortunately be forced to hate the Gold Coast like every other club. Oh well, such is life.

I think us 'second teamers' will be an interesting membership (and hence 'supporter') bloc for the new team to deal with, and we may even be a little bit unique. Who knows?

I've never seen a Titans game and I'm not interested in doing it anytime in the future.

Looking forward to GC17. I think I will be able to support GC + Bombers equally but I think I will be more emotionally affected by GC results the more involved I become while still keeping the same enthusiasm for the Bombers as I have now.

I reckon that a lot of the inaugural GC membership will be made up of the likes of me, ie someone who has a club, has had a club for many, many years, and really has no intention of abandoning that club, but has also been involved with local footy on the GC for years and spent a lot of time on the train to and from Brisbane to the Gabba, and can't wait for the AFL to return back here, this time in a manner not designed to alienate the majority of the population of the Gold Coast.

We have put up with the Titans getting all the publicity (and maybe even gone and watched a game, to our shame ;) ) but want we really want to see is footy back in the spotlight and on top of the heap as the number one game in town where it rightfully belongs, and as such we will be backing the team to the hilt.

However, whenever our own teams come to visit, we will unfortunately be forced to hate the Gold Coast like every other club. Oh well, such is life.

I think us 'second teamers' will be an interesting membership (and hence 'supporter') bloc for the new team to deal with, and we may even be a little bit unique. Who knows?

Regular paying customers would be most welcome to the club, i would imagine :thumbsu:

I've never seen a Titans game and I'm not interested in doing it anytime in the future.

Looking forward to GC17. I think I will be able to support GC + Bombers equally but I think I will be more emotionally affected by GC results the more involved I become while still keeping the same enthusiasm for the Bombers as I have now.

Good response. That's pretty much how I feel regarding Carlton. As time goes by, who knows... Only one of my teams will feel local and have that QLD soul.

As a Victorian I can easily say I would never encourage the thought of a 'second' team, but I can understand you interstaters doing so.
If I was to move interstate tomorrow, I don't think I could take on a second team. I hate all teams that aren't Carlton with a passion :D.

As a Victorian I can easily say I would never encourage the thought of a 'second' team, but I can understand you interstaters doing so.
If I was to move interstate tomorrow, I don't think I could take on a second team. I hate all teams that aren't Carlton with a passion :D.

Despite having lived in Qld for 17 of the last 22 years my passion still lies with the Navy Blues. I can't ever see this changing, but at the same time I will be more than happy to see Gold Coast win when they aren't playing Carlton, to ensure Aussie Rules receives plenty of media exposure here on the Gold Coast.

From my experience living in & around Brisbane in the '80s & '90s, the AFL needs a successful team to gain decent media exposure in SE Qld. Prior to the Bears/Lions seeing some finals action, media coverage for the AFL in SE Qld was very limited. Hopefully the enthusiasm currently being shown by the Gold Coast Bulletin towards the Gold Coast Football Club & AFL in general, will ensure there is not a repeat of the lack of media exposure, as mentioned above.

Count me in. Ex-Gold Coaster from Palm Beach-Currumbin way - fond memories of living on the coast and playing footy there. If there's one thing I love more than the Lions it's Footy and want to see the Gold Coast do well to further Footy in Queensland. I have serious reservations about ever returning to Carrara again though - bad (and wet) memories - need's a roof - that pit is in a rain depression.

Despite having lived in Qld for 17 of the last 22 years my passion still lies with the Navy Blues. I can't ever see this changing, but at the same time I will be more than happy to see Gold Coast win when they aren't playing Carlton, to ensure Aussie Rules receives plenty of media exposure here on the Gold Coast.

From my experience living in & around Brisbane in the '80s & '90s, the AFL needs a successful team to gain decent media exposure in SE Qld. Prior to the Bears/Lions seeing some finals action, media coverage for the AFL in SE Qld was very limited. Hopefully the enthusiasm currently being shown by the Gold Coast Bulletin towards the Gold Coast Football Club & AFL in general, will ensure there is not a repeat of the lack of media exposure, as mentioned above.

Much the same, cou;d never abandon the Lions, but 100% behind the GC. We are taking out memberships, when available.
I am rapt we have another team to support,have the ability to go to AFL games locally is a huge one for us.Even though Its a 3 hr trip there.

I think the thing with the media, is we need tohave a media department at both the Lions ans GC17, that is proactive, and develops a very very good working relationship with the local media. We had it at the Lions when we had Peter Blucher in charge, but he was moved on, and things changed for the Lions in the media.

I have never been to a titans match,. I am a rabbits fan, sons are Cowboys, so they always go to the openeer at LP every year.

I suppose the thing I am looking forward to most is the opportunity to see live AFL every weekend in SE Qld.

I'll always be a Blue, through and through, but have spent most of my life on the Gold Coast and Brisbane and I've been waiting for a GC side for years. I can remember, about 20 years ago drawing imaginary GCFC jumpers!!!

Count me in. Ex-Gold Coaster from Palm Beach-Currumbin way - fond memories of living on the coast and playing footy there. If there's one thing I love more than the Lions it's Footy and want to see the Gold Coast do well to further Footy in Queensland. I have serious reservations about ever returning to Carrara again though - bad (and wet) memories - need's a roof - that pit is in a rain depression.

I'm a PBC boy as well. Played for the PBC Lions under 11's!!!! Did you ever play for them?

I lived in the Gold Coast for 10 years (went to Nerang State High School :)). The Gold Coast team will definitely be my "second" team. I hope the team can play on the Gold Coast and not at the 'Gabba or the team will not make it!

Hi.

I was just wondering if there are any pure Suns fans?
If so how did you become one???

Everyone I know from a football state was indoctrinated to their team as a very young child.

I would imagine Brisbane would have gobbled up the few QLD footy fans not already rusted on to a VIC team.
There are many pure suns fans, I find it patronising that you feel that that’s even a question.
Sure the numbers aren’t as high as the older clubs. But the club is actively trying to assist junior footy on the coast to get them on board. In for the long haul.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are many pure suns fans, I find it patronising that you feel that that’s even a question.
Sure the numbers aren’t as high as the older clubs. But the club is actively trying to assist junior footy on the coast to get them on board. In for the long haul.
Considering I asked it in a thread called 'Second teamers' Im not sure how it can be patronising.

I was more asking HOW those that are pure Suns fans became fans.

Considering I asked it in a thread called 'Second teamers' Im not sure how it can be patronising.

I was more asking HOW those that are pure Suns fans became fans.

Maybe you should use the search function to find one of the many threads on how people become SUNS fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back