General Bombers Talk More talk of changing the logo. Post your thoughts here.

What should we do with the logo?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Letter from the President: Brand research project​

President Dave Barham provides an update on the club's brand research project.
By essendonfc.com.au - 1 hr ago

To all our Fans and Members,

The Essendon Football Club has a proud history as one of the oldest clubs in the AFL and we have a strong recognisable brand.

We are conducting a preliminary research project which centres around the Essendon brand and its elements.

The research project is in its early phase. Members and supporters have been and will continue to be canvassed as part of this process, in addition to the engagement of multiple Essendon Football Club stakeholders.

We have a proud history of more than 150 years and a deep connection to our members and supporters. This is and will always be respected and embraced.

There is no immediate action to change the club logo or any elements of the club brand. This is a longer-term project with significant work to be completed.

We proudly recognise that our future legacy begins with our proud history.

We will always be called the Bombers.

- Dave Barham

Two versions, one slightly pointing up higher....

bombers-10.jpg
bombers-9.jpg

They are both great GG, s**t all over our current boring logo. :thumbsu:

They are both great GG, s**t all over our current boring logo. :thumbsu:

Thanks.

Definitely a lot livelier than the current one.

The current one it's not terrible like Port's etc, but I really hate the font they use for Essendon, the type of plane they use, the fact it's pointing down, and the whole shape of the thing.

It could do with a makeover.

And here's a slight tweak on Tambu's excellent version...

bombers-11.jpg

Yeah this looks good but doesnt feel like an AFL logo to me. The typical AFL logo has a large icon/mascot. This one reminds me of the ANZAC logo, which is not a bad thing just not suitable here IMO. To be a more typical AFL logo i feel the plane needs to dominate the icon more.

Having said that, this logo could be great promo material for the ANZAC game?

Yeah this looks good but doesnt feel like an AFL logo to me. The typical AFL logo has a large icon/mascot. This one reminds me of the ANZAC logo, which is not a bad thing just not suitable here IMO. To be a more typical AFL logo i feel the plane needs to dominate the icon more.

Im not sure what's iconoclastic an "afl" logo. I do like that one the most because it's sinister, and has a very old-school stylistic approach to it. Plus it looks like a badge you could imagine on the left chest of the guernsey or the AFL site. I.e., it's simple and not overly cluttered like the one you and mantis like.

But it would suit the anzac clash. Have like a "throwback" theme for the game to aptly suit the occasion.

Im not sure what's iconoclastic an "afl" logo. I do like that one the most because it's sinister, and has a very old-school stylistic approach to it. Plus it looks like a badge you could imagine on the left chest of the guernsey or the AFL site. I.e., it's simple and not overly cluttered like the one you and mantis like.

But it would suit the anzac clash. Have like a "throwback" theme for the game to aptly suit the occasion.

I would like to see it incorporated into the ANZAC game somehow. As you say it would look good as a badge on a bomber jacket or something aswell.

You'll need to give us something to work with, a clenched first and lightning bolt aint cutting it at the moment :p;)

A clenched fist, a crow needing to be stuffed? hmmm.

But seriously, the whole fist and lightning bolt thing is awful.

Come up with some other imagery related to "power", or totally redesign it i'm not fussy to see what the essendon people could come up with.

I would like to see it incorporated into the ANZAC game somehow. As you say it would look good as a badge on a bomber jacket or something aswell.

I would buy that.

Meanwhile...we're still waiting on IsDonIsGood to provide a flat version of the David Lynch bomber. Maybe that could be used for some other themed round?

first, nice work tambu and gg. the new font looks terrific... a kind of art deco thing happening with the over all style of this logo. and gg, the rejigged version of the bomber with the angry face rocks!

i agree that the plane needs to dominate more, but i don't necessarily think this needs to equate with the logo being 'typical'? for instance, hawthorn's new logo shows the value of an extreme close-up without being a 'typical' logo... dunno how intimidating an extreme of the bomber would be though...? which part?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A clenched fist, a crow needing to be stuffed? hmmm.

But seriously, the whole fist and lightning bolt thing is awful.

Come up with some other imagery related to "power", or totally redesign it i'm not fussy to see what the essendon people could come up with.
shirt_power-logo.jpg

New jumper design?:p

I dont mind the current Essedon one, but i do believe there is room for improvement.

What's interesting about this logo is that the badge very much resembles the shape of tasmania.....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Anyway, i see what you mean. I think the way they've got the hawk neck coming in like that is very good. The only problem with that logo is the badge itself and the HAWKS that sits a top basically detached from the whole thing. Anyway, that's their problem.

But ok, so you're thinking a close up of the plane's face? Or part of the wing and bomb being dropped under?

I'll do some crops of various parts of the logo and post them here to see how they look.

Hawthorn-logo-2007.gif

No, it looks more like the pic in GG's post #143, maybe I should take a pic of my tatt. :D

Well, I've never seen an Essendon moniker that even slightly resembles that.

Is there any chance you could take a pic of it?

I mean, I have no idea where it is, but surely in the age of digital technology its not beyond the realms of possibility... unless its up your butt or something. :rolleyes:

Its not up your butt is it? :eek:

Well, I've never seen an Essendon moniker that even slightly resembles that.

Is there any chance you could take a pic of it?

I mean, I have no idea where it is, but surely in the age of digital technology its not beyond the realms of possibility... unless its up your butt or something. :rolleyes:

Its not up your butt is it? :eek:

It was used in the late 80's, early 90's, it was very similar to that, but had more red on it. My tatt is on my right shoulder blade, a bit hard to take a pic of. My daughter comes back from holidays next week, I'll get her to take a pic & post it. As an aside, the banner I made for the team to run through in Perth in 1996, had that logo on it, but don't think there are pics of that either.

Edit: Just realised it's very similar to the Weg poster from the 85 GF.

Ok here's a close-up....i think you'll love this....

bombers-12.jpg

this is gonna be a bit of a bastard thing to do gg, but now that you've done a close up one, i think i like the full shot better... i don't know exactly what it is though... maybe the actual plane needs to be bigger? you've done great work regardless, it's just not doing it for me.

in spite of that i stand by the idea that the logo needn't be 'typical'. some of them reek corporatism though, which i think is the definitely the wrong way to go. remember north's last one? it could pass as the new logo for british airways- qantas.

...could the new port logo be a close-up of a fist, itself electrified? just a thought for your work on ours.

Ok here's a close-up....i think you'll love this....

bombers-12.jpg

Nice looks great:thumbsu:
Maybe slightly moving the plane to the right or manipulating it in someway because it sort of looks a bit "lost" where it is now. Not a fan of the font though sorry, it is good in that it is bold and simple, but it reminds me too much of army lettering. Maybe that sort of font without the stencil look?

There's also this which I havent really done enough versions of...

bombers-13.jpg

Not so much a fan of this stealth plane. I know you feel the opposite but i quite like the other one with the mean face :D

Back