New Orleans Saints, Detroit Tigers
HARTLETT%20Hamish.png

Height: 185 cm

Weight: 80 kg

Date of Birth: 14th August 1990

Nickname: Hammer, Pipes

Twitter Handle: hharts8

Position: Midfielder

Recruited From: West Adelaide (2008 National Draft Pick #4)

Career Games (to end of 2015): 112 (50 wins, 1 draw, 61 losses)

Career Goals (to end of 2015): 65

For more career stats click here

Honours:
  • 2009 PAFC Best First Year Player
  • 2011 PAFC Wanganeen Medal (Best Player Under 21)
More info on Hamish Hartlett:
Hamish had an up and down 2015. He was often serviceable in his role across half back and pushing up to the wing but seemed to be less damaging, particularly with his kicking inside 50. His tally of 9 goals was well short of his 21 from 2014. He did however record a personal best for disposals in a season and played every game for the first time in his too often injury interrupted career. He saved his best football for late in the season with a near career best game in the wet against Gold Coast the clear highlight.

Highlight Reel:

Last edited by a moderator:

Re: Hamish Hartlett

Emma Quayle's take

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/picks-of-the-draft--hamish-hartlett/2008/11/25/1227491531525.html

Picks of the draft - Hamish Hartlett
Emma Quayle | November 21, 2008

FROM: West Adelaide. He's played five senior games in the past two years after arriving via his junior club, Edwardstown, and playing a lot of footy for his school, Sacred Heart. Hamish's older brother, Adam, has played eight games since he was drafted by Carlton at No. 25 in 2005.

THE NUMBERS: Born August 14, 1990; 184 centimetres; 77 kilograms.

THE LOWDOWN: A really smooth mover, in the midfield or up forward. Hartlett reads the play well, can spot things out of the corner of his eyes. He keeps his feet, can duck in and out of packs and seems to find ways to get his arms and hands clear to handball.

RUNNING AND JUMPING: After shoulder surgery in early August, Hartlett wasn't able to do much testing at the draft camp. He hasn't tested particularly fast in the past (a smidgen over three seconds for 20 metres), but you don't tend to notice that watching him play - he has great instincts and seems to pick what's going to happen just before it unfolds, and get to where the ball's going.

WHERE HE'LL END UP: There's a chance he may be on the move to Perth, with Fremantle considering him strongly. I suspect Port Adelaide may snap him up next at No. 4 (perhaps pending the availability of Daniel Rich). The next two clubs - Essendon and Carlton - will have a look, and the furthest I can see him getting is to No. 8, Richmond.

SLIGHTLY IRRELEVANT YET INTERESTING FACT: In November 2006, not long after starring in the under- 16 national championships, Hartlett fractured his left ankle - when a friend ran over his leg with his car. In fact, every injury he's had has been on the left side of his body.

IF HE WAS A BISCUIT HE'D BE: A Mint Slice. All class.

If you had to describe the Port Adelaide Football Club what would you say?

I would describe the Port Adelaide Football Club as a team that everyone loves to hate. They are a club that has an extremely long and proud history which has been upheld well in the AFL. Recently the club has encountered some difficult times and I would love to be able to help rebuild the fine reputation that it has.

There's a good lad.

A replacement for Francou and one with a good kick? Hope so. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

This is from Emma Quayle

6. Hamish Hartlett
(West Adelaide, 184cm, 77kg)
Hartlett is a class act: he’s not a speed machine, but he can pick where the ball’s going to go and gets there first.
His ability to get his arms and hands free while being tackled is impressive.
His skills are top notch, he can do good things in tight spaces, and he knows how to kick goals.
He's had a year out of school working and I think he’s itching to get to an AFL team and get this thing started.

Hamish Hartlett - midfielder, West Adelaide, SA
DOB: 14/8/90 Ht:182cm Wt:74kg
"Hamish is the younger brother of Adam at Carlton and he's an onball-come-forward player who is fantastically skilled, with either foot. Just a very classy player who started the year in the under-19's then ended up playing some senior footy towards the end of the year after having also played five or six games at the end of 2007. Had a shoulder injury late in the season and didn't do any of the testing at the draft camp. He's well sought after and just a quality football. That's the only way to describe him."
West Adelaide development manager Simon Hughes
SA rep. 2008. All Australian 2008. From Edwardstown FC.

Another Hartlett article from The Age

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/eager-hartlett-hoping-long-wait-pays-off/2008/11/28/1227491831839.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Eager Hartlett hoping long wait pays off
Emma Quayle | November 29, 2008

THREE years ago, Hamish Hartlett's big brother was drafted by Carlton. Last year, he toured South Africa with Trent Cotchin, Cale Morton, Addam Maric and others, as part of the AIS-AFL Academy before playing, a few months later, in the South Australian state team captained by Brad Ebert. For a large part of this year, he's had to sit and watch them doing exactly what he wanted to be doing.

Has it been a frustrating wait for his own turn? "It has, it really has," said Hartlett, whose chance will finally arrive this morning. "Being in the same team as those guys — even playing against a lot of them — you feel like the opportunity you always wanted has started to get close. But then to have to wait and watch so many of them play AFL footy just gets under your skin. I really wanted it to hurry up at times but, having said that, I think this year's done me the world of good. I wish I was there already, but I can see that it's been a pretty good thing to be at home for another year, to just get myself ready for it."

Already, he has some practice in the real world. Hartlett, who finished year 12 last year, didn't want to sit around for all of this year doing nothing, so he got himself a job. For most of the season, he was getting up at 5.30am and getting to work — in customer service for Adelaide Metro, the city's public transport service — by 7am, so he could sneak out in time to train.

The job has done more than keep his mind occupied. "I think it's been good for me just to deal with people, to be speaking to a lot of people every day and having to get myself organised and off to work every day," he said.

"It's actually been good just to have a bit of money, and to be a bit more grown up and have that independence, I guess. And at the same time, home is home and it's been good to have another year there. It's probably all got me a bit more ready to leave, if that's how it happens to pan out."

He's had some recent time to think about it. Having wriggled into some form in the last part of this year's national championships — Hartlett had a particularly hard time against West Australian whippet Stephen Hill — he wrenched his shoulder a week after returning to West Adelaide, had surgery to repair a torn tendon and had to watch the last six games of the season.

There were things he still hoped to show the recruiters he could do — "There's always something more you think you could do," Hartlett said — but his mind was eased by the belief that he had found ways past his taggers, and remembered things don't always happen as you expect them to. With the nationals, it was something I didn't prepare myself for mentally," he said. "I probably just thought that having played there last year, and played some senior football for West Adelaide, that things may have come a little bit easier than they actually did.

"That was a bit of a downfall for me, especially in the early games, but then I realised that I actually had to start working a bit harder and, funnily enough, things started to fall into place later on in the carnival.

"I started to think it through a bit better. When I was younger and I got tagged, I was able to play my natural game and get through it OK. But when you've got a better quality player on you, you have to adjust your game and find other ways to get through it. It's something you've got to drill into your mind, to keep running, running and running no matter how tired you are. It was a good lesson to learn, it was valuable for my footy I think, and it's not something I'm going to forget."

Hartlett had his surgery in early August, and is able now to lift some weights, run around and kick the footy. By the time he lands at his new club, he hopes to be able to do everything but tackle and get bumped. He was only 13 when his brother, Adam, moved away from home, but he spent a few weeks with him not so long ago, and understood again how ready he is to start living the same life.

"That was probably the first time I've got to spend a good, full couple of weeks with him and it was good," Hartlett said. "I got to really experience what it's like being in his shoes, training a few times every day and going off to his uni course, and living a pretty busy life. It's a good lifestyle, and I'm really looking forward to it. I just want to get accustomed to it all as soon as I can."

I've heard he's impressing on the track so far and may even be looked at for a spot in the side for round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goog good.
At 4:20 mark of the video he easily kicked a goal from just inside 50.
As he gets older that should improve even more. :thumbsu:

Another video montage of Hartlett. Thanks to Jakko for posting originally.

[YOUTUBE]5YXt-UY0m24[/YOUTUBE]

I can't wait to follow this lad's progress this year, he looks all class. I've heard he's a possibility to debut early in the season.

I can see him as a definite fan favourite and a 200 game player for the club.

How's this for a day out. His one game of U19s for Westies last year as listed in the '09 Prospectus:

36 D (26 K, 10 H)
5 M (1 cont)
22 CP
17 Clr
7 I50
2 Tkl
2 G, 1 B
1 GA, 2 SA

He has as much if not more promise as Boak did IMO.

I've noticed at training that he seems to really enjoy the hard work. I was watching him doing twenty and thirty yard sprints round the boundary with a trainer holding a stop watch and he was just smiling and determined to do better when the times were called out to him. His body language just spoke of a young guy really enjoying the challenge of getting the best out of himself. :thumbsu:

He has as much if not more promise as Boak did IMO.

I've noticed at training that he seems to really enjoy the hard work. I was watching him doing twenty and thirty yard sprints round the boundary with a trainer holding a stop watch and he was just smiling and determined to do better when the times were called out to him. His body language just spoke of a young guy really enjoying the challenge of getting the best out of himself. :thumbsu:
IMO, just like Boak and Sal did, he will get plenty of games this year.

Best of luck to Hamish.
I talk to him a fair bit and his absolutely loving it at Port.
Says all the boys couldn't have made the transition any easier.
Reckon you have a ripper on your hands, and a real good bloke to go with it.

I read somewhere (Maybe draft day reports), that Hartlett had shoulder surgery.

How is he training in the pre season? Is he involved in all contact drills or on a modified program?

Do you feel he will be named in the NAB?

Is there room at Port for both Hartlett and Davenport to debut in the teal in Rd1 or early '09.

Fantasy Footy has started, so would appreciate your thoughts.

Enjoy your Footy in '09.

hamish did have minor surgery and i believe will begin contact work this week or next week. Rumor has it that hamish will get a run in the NAB, but don't expect to see him come round 1. Not sure about Davenport yet - gut feeling says depth player, but haven't seen him in action yet so i don't know where he would fit in.

Cheers Forzaport,

With such a deep draft in '08 and these kids already having almost superstar status it makes things difficult on the Fantasy Footy aspect of AFL.

With no 'heavy' contact training upto now and probably little upperbody strengthening Hamish could be a few months away?

Port has a pretty impressive young midfield also.

The NAB will reveal more I am sure.

Many thanks

hamish did have minor surgery and i believe will begin contact work this week or next week. Rumor has it that hamish will get a run in the NAB, but don't expect to see him come round 1. Not sure about Davenport yet - gut feeling says depth player, but haven't seen him in action yet so i don't know where he would fit in.

Have heard that Choco said he "wouldn't be surprised if Hartlett plays every game this year." He's been really impressing on the track as has Davenport.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back