Remove this Banner Ad

Play by Numbers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
All up in Jock's icecream
AFL Club
West Coast
BF Media Watch: The Age, Realfooty and the standard of football journalism

Ok it's been said and been said many times, but the standards of sports journalism in this country are appaling.

Normally it's contraversial articles that amaze fans and spawn a billion other copycats as every station or outlet tries to get on board.

Sometimes they just plain make stuff up.

But what does it mean when they can't get a simple match preview right, or do more than one of the above at once?

Case in point:
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rf...t-coast-eagles/2009/04/06/1238869951221.html#
ST KILDA V WEST COAST EAGLES
Etihad Stadium, Saturday April 11, 2.10pm

TV: Fox Sports live

HEAD TO HEAD: St Kilda 13 West Coast Eagles 20 Drawn 1
IN THE 2000s: St Kilda 9 West Coast Eagles 4 Drawn 1
AT THIS GROUND: St Kilda 4 West Coast Eagles 3 Drawn 1
LAST FIVE GAMES: St Kilda 4 West Coast Eagles Drawn 1
UMPIRES: Mathew James (5) Damien Sully (12) Stefan Grun (13)
RECENT HISTORY:
Round 17, 2008:

St Kilda 2.3 6.5 9.11 15.13 (103)
West Coast Eagles 4.5 6.6 9.9 12.14 (86)
Round 21 2007:
St Kilda 1.1 6.4 11.9 16.10 (106)
West Coast Eagles 5.5 9.8 10.9 14.14 (98)
Simple error you might say, West Coast actually beat St Kilda.

Then the article goes on to compile the error again and again.

One quick check of footywire or any AFL website with stats or even wiki could have cleared this up.

Then to compound things this gem:
wbAFLsaintswestcoast.jpg

Brendon Goddard getting excited during St Kilda's 17-point triumph at Subiaco last season
Wait a second did they just make that up???

As one poster revealed:

Haha, isn't that after he gave away a free kick in front of goal when they lost by 17 points?

Way to go, Age.

Do you have any other articles, mistakes, innacuracies or downright fibs you would like to add, if so hopefully you can do so in this thread.

• Banned

Re: BF Media Watch: The Age, Realfooty and the standard of football journalism

Suspect this thread will evolve into something resembling War and Peace by the end of this season alone.

I gather this qualifies?

Herald Sun article about Fremantle Coach Mark Harvey responding to criticisms of him by Grant Thomas, for which the headline naturally reads:

Brent Harvey returns fire

MARK Harvey has hit back at Grant Thomas after the former St Kilda coach questioned his ability to lead an AFL team.

Harvey, who is contracted until the end of 2010, is a man under pressure after the Dockers' winless start to the season...

Beautiful work.

• Banned
Re: BF Media Watch: The Age, Realfooty and the standard of football journalism

Suspect this thread will evolve into something resembling War and Peace by the end of this season alone.

I gather this qualifies?
Bwahahahaha!

Far out that is great stuff:D, good pick up.

It depends on if we post it, but there is a lot of media naming and shaming that could be done. I have definately seen a lot of hillarious threads on this topic.

Royalblueroo that is a fantastic link (added to favourites), reminds me of chewy's thread. Damn she is such a shocker.

Seen a story that is bogus, made up or just full of shizen? Post here so we can all discuss and make fun at the amateur journos who write and create this stuff.

Can be on from any medium. Newspaper, Radio, TV, Magazine, whatever you think is in need of having the spot light set on.

lf_jonathanholmes_narrowweb__300x405,0.jpg

Surely after yesterday you have to nominate the "KKK-gate" here in the west. Biggest non-story of the year that today was the front page of The West!:eek:

• Banned
Ahhhhh my deceased thread comes back in a different and stickied form.

If you feel like merging it with this one rizzo there are a couple of examples and someone posted a really good link to a goldmine of Caro-North Melbourne articles.

Wish it had been more successful because it could be a good idea for concentrating discussion.

Kudos to you rizzo for using your mod powers to do a new (doubt you saw my attempt:eek:), stickied and most likely far better version.:thumbsu:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=561538

Ahhhhh my deceased thread comes back in a different and stickied form.

If you feel like merging it with this one rizzo there are a couple of examples and someone posted a really good link to a goldmine of Caro-North Melbourne articles.

Wish it had been more successful because it could be a good idea for concentrating discussion.

Kudos to you rizzo for using your mod powers to do a new (doubt you saw my attempt:eek:), stickied and most likely far better version.:thumbsu:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=561538

Thanks mate, Sorry I didn't notice that one :eek: Ill add the posts in here :thumbsu:

I find it "ironical" thart Robert Walls is a professional member of the media.

He just pulled that gem out once again on 'One Week At A Time'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BigFooty giving the media ideas thread

Number one

Rioli can be another Ablett:Garry Lyon, The Age

The challenge for Rioli in the coming 12 months is to incorporate the "gut" running into his game that the likes of Ablett, Chris Judd, Lenny Hayes and Brett Kirk have mastered.

If he is able to get to that level I have no doubt he can become a midfielder of the very highest quality.

Hodge2Franklin: Cyril Rioli = Ablett Jnr

Cyril is a larger petrol tank away from being every bit as good as Ablett Jnr. I wrote a similar type thing about Franklin before he emerged and you all laughed, but I am convinced Rioli could become the best player in the competition within a year or so.

He is incredible.

What a player.
I wrote a thread raving about Selwood a couple of weeks ago that was copied by the Herald Sun.

That just nails down my opinion on Garry Lyon's worth, originality and insight as a commentator...

And my view of most of the print media who regurgitate the ideas of supporters who are passionate enough to write about footy for free.

Re: BigFooty giving the media ideas thread

The Media no actually the whole AFL Industry browse the various Forums. This Forum is part of the Industry and I am sure the AFL has it's legal people trying to figure out to get a dollar out of sites like this that are quite profitable.

The players, media, Club staff, all aspects of the AFL keep an eye on these forums.

I have no doubt that the media peruse this board from time to time. Dwayne Russell said a few things last year that suspiciously was similiar to what had been written on the bulldogs board.

It strikes me though, that the media pick and choose what they report on or investigate. Sweet Left Foot did a really good thread on Gerard Healy's conflict of interest earlier this year, and none of the media went near it with a 10 foot bargepole.

So, they will keep their eyes peeled on this board for ideas of what to say about the game or certain players, but don't expect any of them to pick up negative comments of the media on this board. They will leave those well alone.

rather than complain, you should all be happy that a website which is given no credibility by the AFL administration and is looked down upon by a heap of fans is now being legitimised in mainstream media.

either that, or we're all doomed because the media has twigged that reaching the lowest common denominator means replicating bigfooty topics en masse.

The thing is, if you know your posters on here then you could get some good information and insight. I know on the Bulldogs board, there are some posters who have insight and certain information about the club that the ordinary public wouldn't have. That would be the same for every club board I would imagine.

So, its just a matter of knowing which posters have the good information, then just reading what they have to post on pertinent subjects of interest. Then all you have to do in your media role is say "insiders have told me..." or "my sources have revealed...." and just paraphrase what was on the relevant post. The majority of listeners would be none the wiser. That way, you give accurate information and appear like you are well connected and have good sources at the same time.

Of course, that all depends on how much homework you have done on which are the good posters on this board. Given that 50% to 80% on here is just total crap or pure trolling(especially the main board) then if you just came on here cold wanting to get good information or insight, it would be like looking for a needle in 100 haystacks.

Great topic, I will merge with media watch, as this is the type of stuff I want in that thread!

Except for Quayle, Buckley, Niall and a few others, I hate the standard of our footy journalists.

This is sports journalism...

The No-Stats All-Star
it's not fair to compare american sport journalism with australia

john clayton on ESPN rattles off the latest criminal convictions in the NFL like they're no big deal.

Except for Quayle, Buckley, Niall and a few others, I hate the standard of our footy journalists.

This is sports journalism...

The No-Stats All-Star
That article is enthralling!

One of the advantages US sports journalism (and coaching to an extent) have, is that they do not draw as heavily from the ex playing group.

They do to a degree but generally the system is more open to the best and brightest. Add to that the insane push towards self censorship by AFL clubs, relatively low standards of journalism in general and a tyrannical AFL administration that is hell bent on silencing all critics, dissent and a propaganda arm more suited to an Orwellian communist state and you have a partial explanation as to why things are, the way they are.

It is obvious that due to population there is a larger potential talent pool to draw upon (in the US). But in some ways I think a very incestuous media industry in Australia, which seems to have little regard for quality as a means of attainment really does not help. Whilst it could be argued that the same applies in the US, there is just to much variety, a very proud journalistic history and culture with a much greater scope, for this to really be true.

Partly I guess it is also cultural attitudes. I often feel some of the people I know are apathetic and whilst some complain, for the most part people cynically accept things for being the way they are, sheerly because that is how they are at the time. This sits in stark contrast to a country which not only prides itself on national values such as freedom and individual attainment, but also puts a greater premium on talent and competiveness.

For me this partly explains why with journalism in the states, you get such high highs and the incredibly low lows. I would rather that as opposed to dreary mediocre, middles that we seem to get. Where it is a choice between puff peaces from a teams press office, middling and formulaic write ups with no insight (and like the first page of poor quality), or unproffesional opinion pieces and mud slinging tabloid journalism, sheerly aimed at eliciting the most base responses.

That's a brilliant article, but it's one that's not reliant on a news cycle.

That bloke probably spends most of his time in a home office and doesn't have a deadline. If you're employed by a newspaper, and have column space to fill every second day, a lot of what you write is going to be s**t.

As the public become more used to sensationalism, as they become more dependent on technology, as their attention spans become shorter, you'll see more of this trash labelled as 'news'.

Shows like ACA and TT, magazines like Women's Weekly etc started it in general society and it won't get better. Much like the crackhead starts off small but eventually spirals into needing more each time, so too will the media and the public with their 'stories'.

The spread into sports media only really started a few years ago, but it's already become endemic, to the point that sports news is less about the game and more about the people who play/coach/officiate and their 'misbehaving'.

I hate the media and the mass of idiots that feed them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back