WAFL - Round 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 18, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Some good games this weekend, especially looking forward to Claremont vs. East Fremantle (mainly coz I can walk down and watch it).

Swift will be up against two other players I'd love to see at the Eagles next year in Lucas and Sheppard as well as Houlihan and Kennedy.

Hopefully his teammates will now realise that he is one of if not their best midfielder and use him a bit more than last week. If he keeps up his current rate of improvement he is going to start demanding selection.

BTW anyone know if this game in on TV?

This time last year Matt DeBoer was in a group of five players in Sportingbet's market to be selected at pick one.

Jack Watts, Nick Naitanui, Daniel Rich and Jack Ziebell. I was illustrating how far someone can fall from the pack in this kind of a time period.

good players won't slide thaaat far down. that's why freo got him

This time last year Matt DeBoer was in a group of five players in Sportingbet's market to be selected at pick one.

Please man thats a joke of a comment.

To Gunnar, Lucas is a kid that even if hes having a bad game still gives 100%.

He just runs and runs, he also shepards and tackles does all the 1%'s as well.

More a elite outside runner link up type, that can also get the inside ball, plays a similar role to Ben Cousins did at west coast.

Is also good as a half foward that goes into the midfield, is a very good mark as well.

No real weaknesses to his game, his main strength is his running game, one minute could be in the back pocket the next 30 seconds he is on otherside of the ground in the foward pocket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Watts, Nick Naitanui, Daniel Rich and Jack Ziebell. I was illustrating how far someone can fall from the pack in this kind of a time period.
Don't you reckon those other names illustrate that the top fancies a year out tend to still be among the top fancies on draft day?

4 out of 5 don't slide.

More a elite outside runner link up type, that can also get the inside ball, plays a similar role to Ben Cousins did at west coast.
Hmmmm...

Is also good as a half foward that goes into the midfield, is a very good mark as well.

No real weaknesses to his game, his main strength is his running game, one minute could be in the back pocket the next 30 seconds he is on otherside of the ground in the foward pocket.
So basically, he's a guaranteed top 5 selection.

Just wondering, does it hurt a bloke's chances if he plays for a poor WAFL team?

Just wondering, does it hurt a bloke's chances if he plays for a poor WAFL team?

Can work both ways.

You probably wouldnt want to be a forward in a side getting belted every week but Swift, for example, played very well in a struggling team which probably improves his rating with the club.

Don't you reckon those other names illustrate that the top fancies a year out tend to still be among the top fancies on draft day?

4 out of 5 don't slide.
Yes, I actually do think it illustrates that to an extent, but it's not exclusive with what I was pointing out - which is that a lot can happen before December, and while Lucas won't slide to the rookie draft (going off what is being said in here) like DeBoer did, with such a long time until the draft actually happens there's every chance that some others may overtake him. I don't see what aspect of this sits so uneasily with you and Royal Eagle.

Yes, I actually do think it illustrates that, but it's not exclusive with what I was pointing out - which is that a lot can happen before December, and while Lucas won't slide to the rookie draft (going off what is being said in here) like DeBoer did, with such a long time until the draft actually happens there's every chance that some others may overtake him. I don't see what aspect of this sits so uneasily with you and Royal Eagle.
I'm not uneasy about it.

I just think the top fancies are more likely not to slide.

Surely you'd work under that assumption.

Yes, I actually do think it illustrates that to an extent, but it's not exclusive with what I was pointing out - which is that a lot can happen before December, and while Lucas won't slide to the rookie draft (going off what is being said in here) like DeBoer did, with such a long time until the draft actually happens there's every chance that some others may overtake him. I don't see what aspect of this sits so uneasily with you and Royal Eagle.

Unless he loses a leg I think he's top 5.

Never ever thought deboer would go top 20 let alone top 5.

Was worried that he opted out of the 2007 draft.

In 2007 people thought he would have been drafted in the 20 to 30 range,
I even think the west australian had a story along that line.

After his 2008 championships i thought he would end up in the 25 to 45 range.

Like Daniel Rich? If Rich can slide to 7 then Lucas can slide to 16. ;)

Doubtful that Lucas will slide. He is a much better prospect than Rich imo. Had a better 18's carnival last year than Rich's first year and simply put he works a lot harder. A coaches dream.

Scully looks like a very good midfielder a little skinny but all class.

Butcher is the stand out key foward but both of those two are vic kids.

There the top 3 so far, someone else will no doubt pop up during the year.
Hard to say whether we'll finish bottom three or not.

At the moment, we're all pretty optimistic about having an improved season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back