Punk! Punk! Punk!

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 26, 2009
Japan
AFL Club
Carlton
Any punkers around here? Name me your favorite punk bands.

No pop punk pls i.e., no Blink 182, Green Day, Bad Religion, NOFX etc)

Ok, a few I like:

Western Bands
--------------------
Black Flag :) (pre-rollins)
Misfits
Hard-ons (w/ keish)
Adicts
MDC (perhaps the greatest HC album ever?)
SSD
Suicidal Tendencies (first album only)
Dead Kennedys
Bad Brains
Clash
Damned

From Japan
----------------
Blue Hearts
Aburadako
The Star Club
Balzac
Ging Nang Boyz
Jun Sky Walkers

Not a huge fan of punk but I do like some of the bands. The Damned are ok and the Pistols put out some great pop/punk songs.

Any punkers around here? Name me your favorite punk bands.

No pop punk pls i.e., no Blink 182, Green Day, Bad Religion, NOFX etc)

Ok, a few I like:

Western Bands
--------------------
Black Flag :) (pre-rollins)
Misfits
Hard-ons (w/ keish)
Adicts
MDC (perhaps the greatest HC album ever?)
SSD
Suicidal Tendencies (first album only)
Dead Kennedys
Bad Brains
Clash
Damned

From Japan
----------------
Blue Hearts
Aburadako
The Star Club
Balzac
Ging Nang Boyz
Jun Sky Walkers

Star Club are the equivalent of the Japanese Teddie Boys are pretty poor reflection of the real thing. I have seen them live once in Tokyo and once here - in between songs they say "No Future" in English ten times per set

Pre

Stooges
MC5
NY Dolls (even though they are glam)

NY

Ramones
Dead Boys
Blondie (early)
Richard Hell

UK

Clash
Stranglers
Damned
Stiff Little Fingers
Buzzcocks
Pistols
X Ray Spex
Anti Nowhere League
Exploited

US WC

Black Flag
Descendents
Minutemen
DK's
Misfits
X
Germs
Suicidal (don't mind their cross over stuff)

Plus many more from US, Germany, Sweeden, Oz and other places

Star Club are the equivalent of the Japanese Teddie Boys are pretty poor reflection of the real thing. I have seen them live once in Tokyo and once here - in between songs they say "No Future" in English ten times per set

Interesting. Seen them many times and wouldn't call them teddys.

SC are the real thing. One of the first punk bands in Japan, and THE first punk band in Nagoya. Banned by Japanese radio and even kicked out of Australia by the music union here.

Never heard the "no future" but yes, they do have their "slogans" so to speak. That's very much a cultural thing. What we see as imitation, they see as homage. There's no question they were highly influenced by the Pistols.

Without getting too much into the "what is punk arguement" ;)

(UK)
The Clash (First 2 LPS)
The Damned (First LP - 2nd LP was a shocker - 3rd LP Wasn't really punk)
The Pistols (Bollocks is still a classic)
The Adverts
Stiff Little Fingers
The Buzzcocks
Magazine (first couple)

OZ
The Saints (first 3 LPs)
Razar
The Victims
X
The Scientists (early stuff)

US
The Ramones
Dead kennedys
Johnny Thunders and The Heartbreakers

I like plenty of bands from that era but these are the main ones I consider Punk. Not Post- Punk, Post-Punk Pre-New Wave, Mod Punk but not New Wave, New Wave but not New Wave enough to have once been Punk, signed to a punk label but not really punk, were sort of punk once but now are just new rock etc...:D

UK Subs

[youtube]ynewdsC_VyM[/youtube]

The Adverts

[youtube]LKG2rG-s29M[/youtube]

Pork Dukes ;)

[youtube]180v94j4GpI[/youtube]

Hard Skin

[youtube]CoK_8HfZwI4[/youtube]

^^^(don't listen if you're easily offended)

Mach Pelican

[youtube]EOqs5Ejfpdg[/youtube]

New York Dolls

[youtube]gjxV8NOF-EE[/youtube]

You may also not classify these guys as punk, but I sure as hell do....

[youtube]kP8nGNbk7oQ[/youtube]

Heres a picture of some Teds - I know John & Sid wore Teddy Boy drapes in some of their photo sessions - so maybe Star Club copied that look.

teds1962.jpg

Heres a picture of some Teds - I know John & Sid wore Teddy Boy drapes in some of their photo sessions - so maybe Star Club copied that look.

Nah, they are more black leather jacket / sid vicious type looks. Nothing ted at all.

Any teddy boy gear worn by the pistols would have been torn up and s**t and designed to take the piss out of them (who were immaculately dressed). It pissed the real teds off.

Lots of violence between punks and teds in the 70s.

You'd be a fan of The Victims too i guess. I see James Baker mooching around my suburb from time to time - usually going to & from the bottle shop.

They had a thing on ABC2 a few days ago about Perth music scene with a segment on punk.

They showed The Scientists, Victims, Cheap Nasties etc.

Pretty interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

(UK)

Machine Gun Etiquette (3rd album) was imo by far the best Damned. A little more experimental than the 2 before, but still some great punk numbers like MGE, Love Song, Smash It Up, Melody Lee. But I think the best song from that album is Plan 9 Channel 7.

SC are the real thing. One of the first punk bands in Japan, and THE first punk band in Nagoya. Banned by Japanese radio and even kicked out of Australia by the music union here.

Never heard the "no future" but yes, they do have their "slogans" so to speak. That's very much a cultural thing. What we see as imitation, they see as homage. There's no question they were highly influenced by the Pistols.

Nah mate I am not saying that Star Club are teddy boys - I am saying that they are like Japanese Teddy boys which are a pale imitation of the real thing

(UK)
The Clash (First 2 LPS)
The Adverts
Stiff Little Fingers
The Buzzcocks
Magazine (first couple)

OZ
The Saints (first 3 LPs)
Razar
The Victims
X

US
The Ramones
Dead kennedys

I like plenty of bands from that era but these are the main ones I consider Punk. Not Post- Punk, Post-Punk Pre-New Wave, Mod Punk but not New Wave, New Wave but not New Wave enough to have once been Punk, signed to a punk label but not really punk, were sort of punk once but now are just new rock etc...:D

What no Blink 182 or Green Day [Sfellow]

Nah mate I am not saying that Star Club are teddy boys - I am saying that they are like Japanese Teddy boys which are a pale imitation of the real thing

lol The SC are one of the most respected punk bands in Japan. They are the only original '77 band still playing that have never split up. Definitely one of the hardest working bands as well.

Hi-Standard, Softball, Going Steady etc all site SC as a major influence. You're really talking total s**t mate :thumbsdown:

(UK)
The Clash (First 2 LPS)
The Adverts
Stiff Little Fingers
The Buzzcocks
Magazine (first couple)

OZ
The Saints (first 3 LPs)
Razar
The Victims
X

US
The Ramones
Dead kennedys

Always on the money Leaping !!! :thumbsu:

lol The SC are one of the most respected punk bands in Japan. They are the only original '77 band still playing that have never split up. Definitely one of the hardest working bands as well.

Hi-Standard, Softball, Going Steady etc all site SC as a major influence. You're really talking total s**t mate :thumbsdown:

Meh no accounting for taste - the spewing "No future" every five minutes did not do anything for me

Some great bands mentioned. I'll add:

The Dictators
The Dead Boys
Television
Radio Birdman
The Chosen Few
Johnny Dole and the Scabs
The F*ckin' Leftovers
The Imperial Dogs
The Dogs

A mate of mine put together an awesome CD/CD-ROM package called Alternative Animals which looked at Australian punk in the 70s in its various guises. Well worth picking up if you're into the roots of punk rock.

The F*ckin' Leftovers

Good call:thumbsu:.
But it was always just The Leftovers. I think a couple of blogs call them The F*ckin' Leftovers to differentiate them from other bands of the same name. They rubber stamped on their single, Cigarettes and Alcohol, "The F*ckin' Leftovers hate you". I have the original single.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back