"Up Yours Oakley"

Jun 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I still see these stickers on the back of cars every now and then - the peoples anger over the failed '89 merger will never completely go away. I cannot believe this clown has been admitted into the AFL Hall of Fame. Oakley over Carey? Disgrace.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
wbMERGEoakley.jpg

Oct 20, 2007
The Juc!
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC member
I still see these stickers on the back of cars every now and then - the peoples anger over the failed '89 merger will never completely go away. I cannot believe this clown has been admitted into the AFL Hall of Fame. Oakley over Carey? Disgrace.

AFL & HoF committee have no credibility left!

A bloke like Oakley was the single most destructive figure in modern football who tried to kill the social fabric of Melbourne football. He failed with Bullies but he killed the Roys..........he's a prize a-hole!

AFL & HoF committee have no credibility left!

A bloke like Oakley was the single most destructive figure in modern football who tried to kill the social fabric of Melbourne football. He failed with Bullies but he killed the Roys..........he's a prize a-hole!

True. Its sick that they should induct him at all - despicable back slapping effort. Stuffed if I know how he fits their criteria anyway.
But when he gets in and Lou Richards doesn't - they have just lost it.
Carey and Ablett should never be legends for mine either.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Oakley just interviewed on 774. He told story about the vote to introduce West Coast. The vote was 6 each way. He took the club president of one of the nay voters outside and told him that without the licence fee, his club would fold the following season. As Oakley tells it, they went back inside and the vote changed 7 : 5. Oakley laughed as he told the yarn. It reminded me of Nick Columb's account of how he was persuaded to hand in the Footscray licence (if that's what did happen) "If the merger doesn't go ahead, Footscray will fold and your guarantee will be called on, Nick". That's the way the man operated.

Oakley just interviewed on 774. He told story about the vote to introduce West Coast. The vote was 6 each way. He took the club president of one of the nay voters outside and told him that without the licence fee, his club would fold the following season. As Oakley tells it, they went back inside and the vote changed 7 : 5. Oakley laughed as he told the yarn. It reminded me of how Columb was persuaded to hand in the Footscray licence (if that's what did happen) "If the merger doesn't go ahead, Footscray will fold and your guarantee will be called on, Nick". That's the way the man operated.

Low life work - hadn't heard this before but doesn't surprise.
:thumbsdown:

The Boy From Brasil

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2007
Noosa, Brasil
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Oakley just interviewed on 774. He told story about the vote to introduce West Coast. The vote was 6 each way. He took the club president of one of the nay voters outside and told him that without the licence fee, his club would fold the following season. As Oakley tells it, they went back inside and the vote changed 7 : 5. Oakley laughed as he told the yarn. It reminded me of Nick Columb's account of how he was persuaded to hand in the Footscray licence (if that's what did happen) "If the merger doesn't go ahead, Footscray will fold and your guarantee will be called on, Nick". That's the way the man operated.

It was the Fitzroy president. I have heard that story before. There was a deal he did with the Fitzroy president(Wiegard?) and I can't remember what it was, but basically the AFL would give Fitzroy something in exchange for their vote to get West Coast in. I think it was an AFL guarantee on a new loan for Fitzroy to get with their banker, to keep them afloat.

I remember at the time thinking that it really stunk. You would like to think in a perfect world that the AFL would be neutral, they put up the proposal, the clubs vote, and that is it. The Oakley deal stunk of rotten politics.

Back