whythelongface

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2003
Leichhardt
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
QPR, Feyenoord, Newtown, Veendam
Gotta love punk - for mine there are those bands that have already been mentioned such as The Clash, Stranglers, early Blondie, Buzzcocks, Ramones, the Damned etc -

what about The Pyschotic Turnbuckles??

Strike Swiftly

Premiership Player
Mar 15, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
No they're not... The op is sniffing glue if he considers Bad Religion pop. They're punk through and through. Their two records Suffer 1988 and No Control 1989 are considered landmark punk albums.

I agree. Bad Religion are punk through and through. The other thing, people cannot look at late 80's/early 90's punk and call it pop punk anymore. Pop punk of the late 2000's have tarnished the pop punk genre. The 80's/early 90's pop punk should have its own category IMO. Or otherwise rename 2000's pop punk to faux punk.

My fave punk bands are mostly from this period. mostly skate punk.

80's - Early 90's

Early Pennywise
NOFX
Lagwagon
Descendents
Early Offspring - Pre Smash (Had a couple of good songs though)
Bad Religion
Hard Ons
No Fun At All
Face to Face
Guttermouth
Down by Law

Apr 13, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham
Any punkers around here? Name me your favorite punk bands.

No pop punk pls i.e., no Blink 182, Green Day, Bad Religion, NOFX etc)

Blasphemy!

My favourites are

Bad Religion
NoFX
Propagandhi
Dead Kennedys
Adolescents
The Offspring (going to get canned for this but I'm not going to take the easy cop out and say "their old stuff")
The Clash
Stiff Little Fingers
Descendents
Circle Jerks
Bad Brains (some of their stuff)
Against Me!
Dropkick Murphys
Frenzal Rhomb
H-Block 101
Jello Biafra + Melvins
Me first and the gimme gimmes
Pennywise (not a huge fan of it)
Rancid (see Pennywise)
Rise Against (only really started getting into them)
Anti-Flag (see above)

So basically 80s style American punk.

anti.

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 18, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
seriously, no mention of hot snakes from anyone...audit in process is a quality punk album made by 2 legends of music.

anyone heard of Million Dead? theyre broken up now but they were around in the 00s. they released a couple of albums i think, but one of them 'a song to ruin' is awesome. influenced by the likes of refused.

Apr 13, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham
I agree. Bad Religion are punk through and through. The other thing, people cannot look at late 80's/early 90's punk and call it pop punk anymore. Pop punk of the late 2000's have tarnished the pop punk genre.

I agree that's why it shouldn't be called pop punk in the first place. Green Day now a days is more rock/pop than pop punk. Blink 182 have always been pop/punk with a heavy emphasis on pop. Just because bands like Bad Religion, NoFX, Descendents, Pennywise, Rancid were the first to be more melodic and influenced the likes of B182, and even Good Charlotte (who quote Bad Religion as an influence) doesn't mean they should be put in the same bin.

None of them had commercial success anywhere near the likes of Offspring in the mid 90s, Blink 182 in the late 90s/early 00s, Green Day now.

Dec 10, 2007
Netherlands
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Raiders
Some good bands already mentioned :thumbsu:

I regard The Sonics part R&R part Punk

[youtube]f7Nffq0bOgE[/youtube]

The Cramps are Surf/R&R/Psychedelic/Gothabilly/Rockabilly and...Punk

[youtube]rVLpaiH2hbQ[/youtube]

and The Seeds are among other things, pretty much Punk

[youtube]cmHTyLBIZ1g[/youtube]

Casey Kasem digs Shaggy and The Seeds

Blasphemy!

My favourites are

Bad Religion
NoFX
Propagandhi
Dead Kennedys
Adolescents
The Offspring (going to get canned for this but I'm not going to take the easy cop out and say "their old stuff")
The Clash
Stiff Little Fingers
Descendents
Circle Jerks
Bad Brains (some of their stuff)
Against Me!
Dropkick Murphys
Frenzal Rhomb
H-Block 101
Jello Biafra + Melvins
Me first and the gimme gimmes
Pennywise (not a huge fan of it)
Rancid (see Pennywise)
Rise Against (only really started getting into them)
Anti-Flag (see above)

So basically 80s style American punk.

We have very similar taste Jabso:thumbsu:

I would add
Social Distortion
Minor threat
The Ramones

and subtract
The gimmie gimmies
The Clash
Stiff little fingers

Bad religion are my number 1 also:thumbsu:

Feb 26, 2009
Japan
AFL Club
Carlton
Meh no accounting for taste - the spewing "No future" every five minutes did not do anything for me

Like I said, one of the earliest Jap punk bands and one of the most respected. You don't have to like them, but you have to admire them for what they did for the early scene.

A bit like the Pistols themselves.

Leaping Lindner

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2002
St Kilda
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
I am interested to hear your your rationale behind that comment.
I have never heard it said:confused:

Joey himself said he never considered The Ramones punk, but when you consider they were playing three chords fast, playing their own stuff and doing everything themselves they were essentially punk.
Their first(?) UK tour in 76 sealed the deal in most peoples eyes when amongst the audience - and those clambering to get backstage to meet The Ramones - were (future) luminaries John Lydon, Glen Matlock, Mick Jones, Joe Strummer and Rat Scabies. Their influence was huge.
Lydon himself also came out once and said he hated the term "punk" as he felt it applied to a "prison bitch". Mind you that was many years after Bollocks came out.

Feb 26, 2009
Japan
AFL Club
Carlton
You mean he actually learnt to play bass at some point???? :confused:;)

Sid could play... well, he knew what he needed to know. :)

1. Heavy drug user. (hehe maybe that helped) :)
2. VERY short amount of time between beginning learning and gigging.
3. He had style and jumped around a lot.
4. Punk was never about musical competence.
5. Listen to Belsen Was a Gas on The Swindle ;)

Joey himself said he never considered The Ramones punk, but when you consider they were playing three chords fast, playing their own stuff and doing everything themselves they were essentially punk.
Their first(?) UK tour in 76 sealed the deal in most peoples eyes when amongst the audience - and those clambering to get backstage to meet The Ramones - were (future) luminaries John Lydon, Glen Matlock, Mick Jones, Joe Strummer and Rat Scabies. Their influence was huge.
Lydon himself also came out once and said he hated the term "punk" as he felt it applied to a "prison bitch". Mind you that was many years after Bollocks came out.

This was always my assumption:confused:

ieasys00

Senior List
Aug 23, 2008
perth
AFL Club
Richmond
[youtube]CvJwOqrlQOo&feature=related[/youtube]

Just found this from the early 80's - French band - QLD punks should like it, i guess ...

ieasys00

Senior List
Aug 23, 2008
perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Ok - BLITZ should have had more exposure - This is from the end of their career before they went Electro (and i still liked them then) - And i believe the lead singer Karl came out to OZ as a programmer so that gets points too - Hell this is a great song !

[youtube]vyS4Wduyux8[/youtube]

Back