Armed Dealer

Rookie
May 29, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne Tigers
Im a big fan of both the Anime and Mangas of japanese animation.

Examples i read/watch/both:
-Bleach
-Naruto
-One Piece
-Darker Than Black
-Claymore

Places to go for these:
www.bleachexile.com for Bleach, Naruto, Darker than black and Claymore
Also excellent site for those Mangas in english and others.
www.kaizoku-fansubs.com for One Piece
www.vegapunk.com for One Piece HQ
www.dattebayo.com for Bleach and Naruto.

Discussion centres:
http://forums.bleachexile.com/index.php

http://forums.narutofan.com/

Hope u enjoy.

Dandy_GO

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 25, 2005
Yunnan, China
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Sunderland
Depends, really.
The majority of anime are adaptations from manga. So, if we're talking exclusively about these, the issue is generally that manga series are very long running as, unless they're wildly successful, manga writers need to keep a popular story going in order to live of what can be a very irregular and generally tiny income. If you choose to end a series that's making you money, who knows whether your next one will be a hit? As such, we get hugely long story arcs which sometimes take years and years to resolve.
Some of the longer running shows, like Bleach, One Piece etc do a reasonably good job of sticking with the manga (adding in their own filler, which is generally of a far lower standard in terms of writing and often animation too, when they begin to churn out episodes faster than the manga writer). With these shows, as long as they're well made, it's generally just as rewarding to watch through the anime and skip through the filler, although this isn't always the case.
Other shows are given a limited run of, say, 13 or 26 episodes. Given the length of the manga compared to the length allowed for the anime, there's a few ways this can be approached.
One way is to start out and follow the manga to a point, and then depart from the original story and create a conclusion. This generally doesn't work so well. Hellsing is a good example of this. The first episode in particular was perfect, but the last few felt tacked on and, quite frankly, made **** all sense. It's quite a common phenomenon for an anime series to go downhill as the end of its run approaches.
Another is to simply adapt a certain storyline of the manga faithfully, without giving it a resolution. This generally works better, but is best read in conjunction with the manga, so you know what's going on, or what happens afterwards. Beserk is a good example of this; the manga, so far (it's been going since 1988) has almost 300 volumes, and the anime covered just 13 of these.
Finally, there's shows that just get it right and create a good balance between staying faithful to the manga and departing just enough to work as a 26 or whatever episode anime. I'd say Trigun is a reasonably good example of this.
So yeah, I must say I'd prefer to watch a good anime to reading manga, but often it ends up being of a lower standard, or ruins a good story, or gives no conclusion.
I'm voting both I guess.

Apr 30, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
uhm Berserk manga? The one with Gatsu: the sword wielding dude?

more like around 300 chapters, 32 volumes and the anime covers the first 11 volumes iirc

I think the longest running manga has around 130 volumes ....too lazy to google >,>

magtrev

Premiership Player
Jun 2, 2008
over Macho Grande?
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, Cardiff City FC
Manga all the way.

except for anime series that aren't based on manga. And they have to be subbed, not dubbed.

Annoys the hell out me that most people think anime = Naruto .. when in actual fact that's actually just a poorly animated version of a fairly substandard shounen manga.

And then they will see one episode of 4kids absoluted butchering a dub of the One Piece anime and dismiss all One Piece as badly drawn kiddy garbage, without realising that the OP manga is 550 chapters of the best storytelling and art (it grows on you) you will ever see.

zest88

All Australian
Aug 2, 2009
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
WWT and WWT players in AFL
i like animes.

if they have more of a video game stlye, i enjoy them more something like .hack cool and sad at the same time

jallyward

Debutant
Aug 22, 2009
Orantio
AFL Club
Adelaide
I always like to give first preference to watch anime rather than reading manga storyline of my favorite Japanese shows. As it's too hard for me to entertain myself with reading storyline, as much i can enjoy with moving and listenable video graphics of the anime episodes. My most favorite shows are Bleach and Naruto shippuden and i always looking excited to watch Bleach and Naruto Shippuden episodes, only go for both those anime manga spoiler chapter when i have nothing to watch in it's anime.

Back