Best football school in Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

the only way to judge the best SCHOOL side is on the amount of premierships one and the consistency with which they do it. Whilst having guys that went on to play afl/vfl is very important it does not always reflect to success for the school. remember it is about the SCHOOLS success not that of individual players. hence it is quite clear that assumption, due to what i have already stated, is the best football school

What about Eltham College?
Michael Still drafted to Essendon, as well as future top ten draft picks Darcy "eel" Barden and Dylan "sunny" day.

What about st. joseph's geelong
has produced current afl players in jimmy bartel, matthew scarlett, cameron ling, shaun higgins, nick maxwell, ben bucovaz & danny stanley and has also produced ex players damian bourke and barry stoneham

considering SKC were dubbed the best football school in country by The Age, I think they have the bragging rights.

i think everyone knows, as a general rule of thumb, anyone who wins the APS premiership is essentially the best AFL school. the APS is the best school boy football competition bar none. i kno many will argue that this is only due to money, scholarships, etc. but whatever way you look at it, it is the best competition by a fair way, and therefore whoever wins it deserves to be considered on of, if not the, best football school in Aus

considering SKC were dubbed the best football school in country by The Age, I think they have the bragging rights.

i think everyone knows, as a general rule of thumb, anyone who wins the APS premiership is essentially the best AFL school. the APS is the best school boy football competition bar none. i kno many will argue that this is only due to money, scholarships, etc. but whatever way you look at it, it is the best competition by a fair way, and therefore whoever wins it deserves to be considered on of, if not the, best football school in Aus

Add Assumption Kilmore to that list & yer sorted

The Assumption myth continues.....they recruit ready made schoolboy players from up country at year 10 offer them a scholarship, board them and then claim them as Assumption products....a total con! They see where they need holes plugging for their Firsts and go after that player ala Neale Daniher at CHB for them. Assumption Junior teams are traditionally quite weak in the AGS competition. Ray Carroll has been dining out on an unjustifed reputation for years.

True football schools develop their own from year 7 and then can be justly proud.

Just like the Head of the River

In 1987 Melbourne High would beat them all by 6 lengths continually - but the best crew was still an APS crew ;)

The footy team with an on ball brigade of Grgic, Lovell, Lovett, Knights & Phillips - combined with a raft of U19's/reserves players who never quite made it would have done similar.

[quote=over the top;15773346]considering SKC were dubbed the best football school in country by The Age, I think they have the bragging rights.

i think everyone knows, as a general rule of thumb, anyone who wins the APS premiership is essentially the best AFL school. the APS is the best school boy football competition bar none. i kno many will argue that this is only due to money, scholarships, etc. but whatever way you look at it, it is the best competition by a fair way, and therefore whoever wins it deserves to be considered on of, if not the, best football school in Aus[/quote]

i think the gist of that article in the age was that skevs won the footy, soccer and rugby premierships this year which while still being a great achivement it doesnt make skc the best afl school in the country.

as for the aps thing i wouldnt say that is true either.The ACC and AGS and the Ballarat Schools have some of the traditional footy heavyweights.The APS is probably the oldest competition but it doesnt make the winner of that automatically the best in the country,Assumption would have pumped skevs this year and believe me I am not being biased here, i went to skevs...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Assumption myth continues.....they recruit ready made schoolboy players from up country at year 10 offer them a scholarship, board them and then claim them as Assumption products....a total con! They see where they need holes plugging for their Firsts and go after that player ala Neale Daniher at CHB for them. Assumption Junior teams are traditionally quite weak in the AGS competition. Ray Carroll has been dining out on an unjustifed reputation for years.

True football schools develop their own from year 7 and then can be justly proud.

assumption college do not give out scholarships, and that is the funny thing about everyone, i dunno what it is, why do people claim it? is it out of jealously that it has more pride then any other school, or is just aimed to frustrate? i dunno, but assumption have proven they're the best football school in australia
SURELY

assumption college do not give out scholarships, and that is the funny thing about everyone, i dunno what it is, why do people claim it? is it out of jealously that it has more pride then any other school, or is just aimed to frustrate? i dunno, but assumption have proven they're the best football school in australia
SURELY

Depends on your definition of 'scholarship'.....assistance with boarding and other stuff is apparent. Anyway, doesnt disprove the point that too many young guys go there from year 10 after having developed their footy skills elsewhere. Yes, its like a finishing school for young footballers but I dont think Assumption can claim as many players before year 10....how many from year 7 were developed by Assumption and went on to VFL/AFL? I would suggest pure Assumption products are not as numerous and perhaps other schools do a better job at DEVELOPING the young talent. That's my point.

Depends on your definition of 'scholarship'.....assistance with boarding and other stuff is apparent. Anyway, doesnt disprove the point that too many young guys go there from year 10 after having developed their footy skills elsewhere. Yes, its like a finishing school for young footballers but I dont think Assumption can claim as many players before year 10....how many from year 7 were developed by Assumption and went on to VFL/AFL? I would suggest pure Assumption products are not as numerous and perhaps other schools do a better job at DEVELOPING the young talent. That's my point.

Mate ive been to lots of footy schools, i never had much success. But now i go to assumption, its like i belong. The people their are enormous, and their dedication is second to none. They alerted me to my weaknesses and helped me eliminate them. im a boarder now and their are about 3 boarders that are dead set guns who came in at year 10, and thats about it for 4 years. most of us have been nurtured into who we are at assumption, and its not going to change. We also have the best history in victoria for winning the agsv for years and we not called the football factory for nothing

Mate ive been to lots of footy schools, i never had much success. But now i go to assumption, its like i belong. The people their are enormous, and their dedication is second to none. They alerted me to my weaknesses and helped me eliminate them. im a boarder now and their are about 3 boarders that are dead set guns who came in at year 10, and thats about it for 4 years. most of us have been nurtured into who we are at assumption, and its not going to change. We also have the best history in victoria for winning the agsv for years and we not called the football factory for nothing

And your point is?? You are an Assumption product that has played AFL football as I pointed out? Or you are proving my point that they recruit ready made footballers at year 10 (three 'dead set guns' at year 10) which proves my point. Thanks and cheers.

And your point is?? You are an Assumption product that has played AFL football as I pointed out? Or you are proving my point that they recruit ready made footballers at year 10 (three 'dead set guns' at year 10) which proves my point. Thanks and cheers.

mate a side is made up of 3 guns. We won all those titles as a team. those 3 players were guns, but they weren't our best. SO... im proving your point to be sorta there.. but not entirely

from every aspect you can look at assumption in the best foot ball school.
its currently won the AGSV and herald sun, its beat and beat well the SHC from SA which were thought to be the best. so it show it currenty is the best, not to mention the 100 years of footbal history which is not evan closed to matched by any other football school in australia..

in this side from 2009 we still have more then half last years players for 2010, so it look promising for 2010.(not to say we will be the best in the futur) but currenty are.

how assumption get there players, evan tho there is no scolarship system, but evan if there was a scolarship system in place at ack it wouldnt matter, the point is that assuption have the wins on the board and at the end of the day thats all that matters ... so please why evan try to compare to ACK

Well you may have just mad e a slight mistake there i'm sorry... I am only going on the year on which i was in year 12 and i believe there might have a been a bloke by the name of Daniel Talia who had been there since year 7... You may have heard of him he went pick 13 last year and is currently with the Adelaide Crows... Our best and fairest was Jackson Garvey Hawke who was yet another bloke who had been at the school since year 7... Not to mention other boys like Comi, Traynor, Maric, Mick Talia, Wright, Toman and Prestia just to name a few who were present to win the MCC herald sun shield and AGSV titles all of which were there from year 7... Seems as if Assumption did quite well DEVELOPING their young talent...

Well you may have just mad e a slight mistake there i'm sorry... I am only going on the year on which i was in year 12 and i believe there might have a been a bloke by the name of Daniel Talia who had been there since year 7... You may have heard of him he went pick 13 last year and is currently with the Adelaide Crows... Our best and fairest was Jackson Garvey Hawke who was yet another bloke who had been at the school since year 7... Not to mention other boys like Comi, Traynor, Maric, Mick Talia, Wright, Toman and Prestia just to name a few who were present to win the MCC herald sun shield and AGSV titles all of which were there from year 7... Seems as if Assumption did quite well DEVELOPING their young talent...

Well said sir, didn't know u had it in u hahahaha

It's an age old debate that rears it's head every year.

The best school could be measured by many parameters...
  • Premierships
  • Golden Eras
  • AFL draftees
  • Depth of talent not just 1st XVIII
  • Longevity in a premier competition
There are schools that have ticked all of these boxes over the years:

Melbourne Grammar (Vic)
Trinity Grammar (W.A)
Assumption (Vic)
Sacred Heart (S.A)
Xavier College (Vic)

Each of these schools has fair claim to be listed as perenial powerhouses. They have stood the test of time, produced numerous players/coaches of note and are considered to be football schools.

Based on?

Skevs have had 22 players drafted to the AFL.
The five I mentioned have all had well over a hundred.

It's great that SKC won the premiership last year, however they needed to purchase Liberatore, Wallis etc to do it. It's only been the last couple of years that they have been competitive again. They now have four APS flags compared to MGS and XC with over 30 each.

PEGS have a solid football program under Fletcher, but again they're new kids on the block compared to some of the other schools going around. Comparing them to Assumption for example, PEGS have won significantly fewer premierships and herald shields.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back