bc2z.jpg

Audacious

Club Legend
Suspended
Mar 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
yeah harry connick just did his best to end the show on a downer.

Weve been without this program for 10 years and in a reunion you go and **** it up.

Back to the US, *.

that_dood

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 27, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal
yeah harry connick just did his best to end the show on a downer.

Weve been without this program for 10 years and in a reunion you go and **** it up.

Back to the US, *.

Wasn't his fault Hey Hey producers picked a racist skit then put an American judge on the panel.

Audacious

Club Legend
Suspended
Mar 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Wasn't his fault Hey Hey producers picked a racist skit then put an American judge on the panel.
Google the definition of racism. Copy and paste it in this thread, and then indicate how the performers of that act were being racist.

Ive said it before and ill say it again - many people who play the racism card dont even understand what it is.

that_dood

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 27, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal
Google the definition of racism. Copy and paste it in this thread, and then indicate how the performers of that act were being racist.

Ive said it before and ill say it again - many people who play the racism card dont even understand what it is.

I myself did not find it racist. But it was extremely offensive and having an American on the panel was a terrible move. And it was clearly not funny as the audience were booing and were not very excited.

EDIT: Yes I know this does contradict my first post.

one_eye_pie

Senior List
Sep 9, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal, Patriots
i didn't find it offensive and i didnt even think to cry 'racist' when i saw it either

just goes to show that when you add 'politically correct crusader-like american celebrity' to the mix, it starts to make world news and becomes another beat-up

since everyone wants to listen to celebrities, lets give robert downey jnr a call and see what he thinks.

Bombers_Forever

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2003
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Seattle Mariners and Seahawks
If there wasn't an American judge, would it be an issue? No. Connick needs to get over it. I can see why it might have been offensive but gee, that Bike Boy guy could be deemed offensive because he had dangerous items. It just shows again that we should just have Australian judges because they are not so easily offended.

Thanks Harry for taking all the attention away from such a good show.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Idiotic move by the producers. Regardless of how offensive you personally think it is, the outcome of showing something like this with an American celebrity guest on the panel was a forgone conclusion.

Blackface is a massive no-no in American entertainment, has been for decades. Every time somebody tries it on they get universally hammered.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It just shows again that we should just have Australian judges because they are not so easily offended.
That's stereotyping, and pretty baseless. Media censorship, etc in the US is far more relaxed as a rule, and their shock jocks (like Howard Stern) make Kyle Sandilands look like Mother Teresa.

The reality is that this is a massively racially-charged issue in the US, with a couple of centuries of history behind it. There are a lot of extremely good historical reasons why this stuff is just seen as flatout unacceptable there by the whole of mainstream society.

Whether or not that's relevant to Australian society is a matter for debate, but the producers of Hey Hey should have known what to expect.

Bombers_Forever

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2003
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
So Americans are able to make fun of whoever they want, and other countries can't do the same? How many instances can you mention of American movies, TV shows, etc doing something similar and there not being any offence?

They should not have gone ahead with the act but I am sure if you asked 100 people in the audience if they could see any offence, they wouldn't be offended. If anything, Connick only showed everyone how it could be offensive. The prodcuers wouldn't have put it on if they thought it could offend.

If they came out as Obama or someone like that, fair enough. They were parodying the Jackson Five, who are black. There act wasn't aim to spark a race debate.

Sam Newman on the other hand was offensive because he was targetting Nicky Winmar.

Bombers_Forever

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2003
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Just heard the Sydney ratings: Hey Hey won every quarter hour and had huge numbers right to the end. Looks like 9 will be bringing it back in some capacity in the future.

Bombers_Forever

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2003
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Good point Ryz.........and didn't that movie get Oscar nominations? Amazing how it is fine for Americans to do it, but if anyone else does it, all hell breaks lose.

Bombers_Forever

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2003
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Official Ratings:
1. Hey Hey - 2.3m
2. Apprentice - 1.6m
3. 7 News - 1.3m
4. Today Tonight - 1.29m
5. Two and Half Men - 1.2m
10. Celebrity Masterchef - 1.08m
FlashForward Encore - 398,000

serpico66

Team Captain
Sep 25, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Juventus, Liverpool
I seem to remember a similar outrage when Sam Newman did a "black face" impersonation of Nicky Winmar.

Channel 9 should have learnt from that fiasco.

The worst thing about this is that it brings Hey hey it's saturday to the attention of the world. How embarassing :eek:

No, the worst thing is we'll have all kinds of Americans and Poms telling us how we're the most racist nation in the world, what a despicable country we are...etc etc.

Back