FTA-TV Hey Hey It's Saturday Is Back

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 23, 2009
Barcelona, Catalonia.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Penguins, Aston Villa, Adel Utd.
The skit in question may have been in poor taste but it was hardly racist by Australian standards. In America, you would be hauled over the coals for doing something like that because of the history surrounding it but here we do not have the same history of "blackface" as a racist thing.

Two points. One, this was not intended to be an attack or prejudice against the Jackson Five, rather it was a homage of sorts to them. Two, the idea that the Americans are throwing out there that this was a bunch of white Aussies taking the piss out of black Americans is patently wrong. "Michael Jackson" is Indian and four of the other five are of differing multicultural backgrounds. Hardly six "white guys".

I have nothing but respect for Harry Connick Jr stating his displeasure at the act and his personal feelings about it. That is fine and he only said that he would not have done Red Faces, not the whole show. He knows these people (Darryl and co) and realises that it was not an intentional racist thing by them.

The problem lies with the international media grabbing this and blowing it way out of proportion. They add their own slant to things and report it as fact to the American people and they eat it up and next thing you know all Australians are racist pigs.

It is just a big beat up that will die in about two days and will never be thought of again.

The skit in question may have been in poor taste but it was hardly racist by Australian standards. In America, you would be hauled over the coals for doing something like that because of the history surrounding it but here we do not have the same history of "blackface" as a racist thing.

Two points. One, this was not intended to be an attack or prejudice against the Jackson Five, rather it was a homage of sorts to them. Two, the idea that the Americans are throwing out there that this was a bunch of white Aussies taking the piss out of black Americans is patently wrong. "Michael Jackson" is Indian and four of the other five are of differing multicultural backgrounds. Hardly six "white guys".

I have nothing but respect for Harry Connick Jr stating his displeasure at the act and his personal feelings about it. That is fine and he only said that he would not have done Red Faces, not the whole show. He knows these people (Darryl and co) and realises that it was not an intentional racist thing by them.

The problem lies with the international media grabbing this and blowing it way out of proportion. They add their own slant to things and report it as fact to the American people and they eat it up and next thing you know all Australians are racist pigs.

It is just a big beat up that will die in about two days and will never be thought of again.

Well said. :thumbsu:

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
I was more offended by Harry's performance earlier on the show, he should have stopped after that Mask song in the mid 90's.

Zarrix

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
Blown out of proportion by most parties no doubt about that. But the producers could of averted this fairly damn easily too. A little bit of research would of predicted a conflict of culture from a fair distance.

Saigan

Team Captain
Mar 13, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tigers
So funny, an Indian gets into trouble for sending up a Black man who desperately wanted to be White :rolleyes:

that_dood

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 27, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal
Anyone that listened to JJJ this arvo on Hack would have understood how offensive it really was and the history behind "Black-faces" not just in the USA, but also in Australia.

Sep 10, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
harryconnick.jpg

Zarrix

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
Thinking about this though, it is becoming fairly damn tiring seeing the tv controversy of the week at the top of the news consistently. Since when have we had so many high horses?

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Oh wank wank.. you mean the American celebrity guest that performed a blackface skit on MAD TV?

Isnt he from New Orleans? If so explains a bit

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/17/nagin.city/

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- Mayor Ray Nagin on Tuesday apologized for urging residents to rebuild a "chocolate New Orleans" and saying, "You can't have New Orleans no other way."

"I'm really sorry that some people took that they way they did, and that was not my intention," the mayor said. "I say everybody's welcome."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

andoveron

Draftee
Suspended
Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Idiotic move by the producers. Regardless of how offensive you personally think it is, the outcome of showing something like this with an American celebrity guest on the panel was a forgone conclusion.

Blackface is a massive no-no in American entertainment, has been for decades. Every time somebody tries it on they get universally hammered.

Oh wank wank.. you mean the American celebrity guest that performed a blackface skit on MAD TV?

Americans would be the last to lecture anyone on blackface.. from Al Jolson to Robert Downey they are the masters at it

It's so appropriate that Harry Connick has been exposed as a hypocrite for his portrayal of a black preacher considering his self serving and sanctimonious sermon to all us ignorant Aussies on Hey Hey :rolleyes:

2wf22ie.jpg

May 11, 2006
On the Outer
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Aussie Swim Team,
well truth be told we are a rascist nation. I am not having a crack at anyone in this forum, but as a country we are in serious denial about that.

I agree that the whole Hey Hey thing is a storm in a tea cup. I agree that Connick jnr is a hypocrite considering his own "black face" skits. It probably was unwise to revive that skit but as they say, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

IanG

All Australian
Jul 24, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal

Americans would be the last to lecture anyone on blackface.. from Al Jolson to Robert Downey they are the masters at it

It's so appropriate that Harry Connick has been exposed as a hypocrite for his portrayal of a black preacher considering his self serving and sanctimonious sermon to all us ignorant Aussies on Hey Hey :rolleyes:

2wf22ie.jpg

That aint blackface.

May 24, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal
Now even Kamahl is having a crack at the show, saying he isn't even sure why he kept going back on as the cast wasn't civil to him :rolleyes:
Yeah, just watched him on CH 9 news. The news reader sort of cornered him when she questioned why he referred to himself as the 'Brown Wiggle' when he had his photo taken with The Wiggles. Stupid news story.

119Points

Team Captain
Aug 1, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong

XFactor1979

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2008
Lurkville
AFL Club
West Coast
well truth be told we are a rascist nation. I am not having a crack at anyone in this forum, but as a country we are in serious denial about that.

I agree that the whole Hey Hey thing is a storm in a tea cup. I agree that Connick jnr is a hypocrite considering his own "black face" skits. It probably was unwise to revive that skit but as they say, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

when i was travelling around south east asia, we were talking about our home towns, and the first question everyone asked me when i said australia was: "isnt racism a bit of a problem down there?"

Apr 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
1) I'm angry because I was hoping Hey Hey would just disappear now, but this has bought it to attention.

2) There's no difference between racially insensitive and racist. They're just as bad as each other and this skit was both.

3) Shame on the guys for a) thinking that their act was funny and b) for the Hey Hey producers letting the act go on. I don't care if they did it 20 years ago. It was wrong then and is especially so today.

4) How quickly people forget. Anyone care to bring up the Harbhajan Singh/Andrew Symonds "monkey" controversy or the prior problems Symo had in India? Indians were knocked pillar to post for saying "monkey" was in no way a racist term, when we all knew different. Now that the shoe's on the other foot, people are claiming the yanks to get over it. Interesting.

5) Shame on anyone who thinks this is a storm in a teacup. What society do we live in when this type of behaviour is either excused or tolerated. How ignorant must we be to not know that 'blackface' is a vile act and the reminder of a bygone era where racism was just allowed, it was indoctrined into society.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back