Revival of the "What Music You Listening To?" Thread....

Remove this Banner Ad

As i'm so sick of looking at the same , for the most part, belly button gazing thread fare I have been "organising" my 384gb mp3 collection into soem semblance of order.

Randomly plucking the odd song which takes my eye.

This and the fact that our local FM station is having it's annual top 2000 song countdown has prompted me to make the landmark discovery that the best music ever made cam from the late 70's, 80's and early 90's.

50's and 60's were just practice for the real thing and from about 95 onwards it's most just samples and rip-offs of everything else.

Spoiled by the greats through my prime.:D

I'm a sucker for a great rock ballad with a big guitar hook.

What's going on in the world now which could interest me or is it all nasal, product wearing girly boy bands pumping out "love till I die" and Computer filtered female "bodies" churning out songs that have to rhyme ever second word with "umbrella" or "whore"?

Some of you young whippersnappers must have your heads around the classic rock ballad.

More than a Feeling
Rock n Roll fantasy etc.

Who has taken up the mantle?

Not a classic rock ballad but I too have been going over my music collection recentally and have rediscovered my love for Bright Eyes. Probably my fav song here.
[YOUTUBE]tknZpdIW06k[/YOUTUBE]

If you claim that good music was being made in the 80s, then your opinion is immediately invalidated.

The bulk of all the good music ever recorded was between the early 60s and the early 70s - Before that, music was okay, but pre-Beatles music just didn't have the general quality. After that period, in the late 70s, disco and hair-band rock started emerging, the 80s was just an embarrassment, the 90s wasn't much better (but salvaged by a return to guitar rock), and the 00s was just a cesspool of pathetic wannabes and reality contest winners.

It's pretty clear that good music began in 1962 - Consider the fact that The Beatles AND Bob Dylan both made their first releases that year, and it's pretty undeniable. Granted, Motown had been going for a few years by then, and Elvis Presley, Sun records, and Chess records had refined the blues and brought them to the greater public years earlier, but the overall calibre of music saw a sharp increase as of 1962.

Of course, there are large exceptions to every rule - In a period where disco reigned supreme, it was also the golden age of punk rock. In period where Simple Minds and Frankie Goes To Hollywood were charting, hip-hop was reaching the mainstream for the first time. In a period where Vanilla Ice was getting sued by Queen, the rise of grunge put guitar rock back on the road to respectability.

In a period where Britney and Christina have basically made you feel like vomiting with their music, the game has changed and post-modern sampling and referencing has given alternative music a reflexive quality that hearkens back to a day when popular music was good.

There's good and there's bad in every period, but the suggest that the 80s deserves mention as some kind of golden age of music is certainly spurious.

The most talented singer-songwriter of the last 20 years; Jeff Buckley

If you want over the top epic rock in a Deep Purple sort of way, Muse might be the go.

As far as total musical creativity and execution, it's impossible to go past Radiohead over the last 15 years.

And I assume you're familiar with the early to mid 90's grunge/rock bands like Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam etc?

If I'm being too obvious and you've heard all those, I'll throw some less well-known stuff your way.

edit: Shawthing, your video's not showing up. I'm going to go ahead and assume it's The Calender Hung Itself, since that's the one good song he has ;)

It was actually waste of paint. I actually like a fair bit of Bright Eyes stuff from when Connor was 19. Perfect Sonnet being another.

Awesome selection of recomendations there Btw and anyone who isn't familiar with any of them should deffinately take some time have a listen to each of them.

If you claim that good music was being made in the 80s, then your opinion is immediately invalidated.

It's pretty clear that good music began in 1962 - Consider the fact that The Beatles AND Bob Dylan

But your's could be as well for saying Dylan :D.

Looking fwd to the new Kiss album being released this month :thumbsu:

My taste in music covers most decades but these are some of my favorite songs
[YOUTUBE]JkhX5W7JoWI[/YOUTUBE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkhX5W7JoWI
pretty good for a group of electronic engineers:p

[YOUTUBE]JOO8-Jp-xsg[/YOUTUBE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOO8-Jp-xsg

[YOUTUBE]2Ox1Tore9nw[/YOUTUBE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ox1Tore9nw

[YOUTUBE]VbhsYC4gKy4[/YOUTUBE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbhsYC4gKy4

[YOUTUBE]CcYZlRWWxO0[/YOUTUBE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcYZlRWWxO0

[YOUTUBE]ZAydj4OJnwQ[/YOUTUBE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAydj4OJnwQ

[YOUTUBE]yZq7bdtQWBA[/YOUTUBE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZq7bdtQWBA

More another time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What where the less well known recommendations you had?

I think it's been a sensational year for new indie-rock groups.

The Antlers - Hospice is for me hands down the album of the year. Best folk rock album since the Shins' early stuff. Try this or this

Cymbals Eat Guitars - Why there are mountains. is a wonderfully interesting album throughout. Try this.

The Love Language (self titled) is another very good debut album. Nothing much on youtube bar a live track though.

Fanfarlo - Reservoir I've only given a very quick listen to so far, but seems promising to me.

Not a new band, but The Flaming Lips - Embryonic is a terrific new album, and I'm historically not a massive fan of their stuff.

The We Swim You Jump EP and Girls - Album are two more new ones that are quite decent.

Also came across this song on last.fm, which I'm really digging, will have to get the album.

Punk rock and some other stuff.

Especially early 80s Southern Californian punk rock or bands inspired by them.

My two absolute favourite bands (in this order) are Bad Religion and Propagandhi. Propagandhi's new stuff is more heavy metal inspired but brilliant.

I like some other stuff variety is always good. I enjoy folk style music as that is essentially what Bad Religion are a folk punk band in terms of lyrics, and if you hear acoustic versions of BR songs that's what they basically are. Redgum is an obscurish Australian folk band that interests me.

Redgum is an obscurish Australian folk band that interests me.

“I love to read the Bulletin and watch the ABC/ I love to air my well-informed opinions constantly/ all my friends are professionals from polite society/ so come and sing the middle class, Liberal, “I’ve got a home in Beaumont” rag with me”

Daggy but quality :thumbsu:

The most talented singer-songwriter of the last 20 years; Jeff Buckley

I don't buy into that.
Yes, very good but highly over-rated due to early, tragic death.
It is the greatest marketing tool ever invented.

Even Elvis, who was a fat has been at the time, benefited enormously in death.
Kurt Cobain
Melanie
Mama Cass
Marilyn Munroe
James Dean
Heath Ledger

etc. etc.

There is a vary long list of personalities and talents who's dath inspired a media driven frenzy of over-rating to whip the feeling attached to their passing into an industry all its own.

I am not saying there was no talent there, but it neary always ends up being enormously over stated.

Punk rock and some other stuff.

Especially early 80s Southern Californian punk rock or bands inspired by them.

My two absolute favourite bands (in this order) are Bad Religion and Propagandhi. Propagandhi's new stuff is more heavy metal inspired but brilliant.

I like some other stuff variety is always good. I enjoy folk style music as that is essentially what Bad Religion are a folk punk band in terms of lyrics, and if you hear acoustic versions of BR songs that's what they basically are. Redgum is an obscurish Australian folk band that interests me.

I'm a very strong "variety" person.
My collection ranges from 50's black spirituals to the latest releases.
I have a definite aversion however to the vast majority of "popular music".

I detest anything contrived, such as Idol. I hate the concept of manufacturing cheap talent at the cost of those artists who do it tough for many years without the recognition they deserve.

One of the true scams of modern media hype is that more media outlets means more quality content. Quite the opposite.
More air time to fill with utter dross and an enter industry of suck up media which reports every move of these new "stars" who are in fact total non-entities with little or no talent what so ever.

I don't buy into that.
Yes, very good but highly over-rated due to early, tragic death.
It is the greatest marketing tool ever invented.

There is a vary long list of personalities and talents who's dath inspired a media driven frenzy of over-rating to whip the feeling attached to their passing into an industry all its own.

I agree with you in general, but it's baloney in this specific case.

Even if you don't particularly rate his songwriting abilities (I personally do), he's clearly one of the more gifted singers you'll ever hear.

The Antlers - Hospice is for me hands down the album of the year. Best folk rock album since the Shins' early stuff. Try this or this

Yeah, I'll go along with that. Really liked this album.

It's not new, but I've been hammering the Black Angels' album Passover. It's psychedelic rock, kinda like Dead Meadow, but better IMO.

Actually like the Decemberists latest, The Hazards of Love. It's odd and not for everyone, but I dig it.

Yeah, I'll go along with that. Really liked this album.

It's not new, but I've been hammering the Black Angels' album Passover. It's psychedelic rock, kinda like Dead Meadow, but better IMO.

Actually like the Decemberists latest, The Hazards of Love. It's odd and not for everyone, but I dig it.

I have heard bits and peices of the new decemberists album which probably doesn't do it justice as it is apparentally a concept record.

That said I have enjoyed what I have heard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back