Games & Recreation Are slingshots legal in Australia?

I was looking into this today because I was thinking of buying one online from Hong Kong.

It seems that in Queensland, they are legal with the exception of wrist-rocket slingshots, which have a brace on the wrist to aid in getting a stronger draw on the rubber.

Source - Weapons Act 1990 (Qld) - http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/qld/consol_act/wa1990107/

What about for other states?

Crooza

All Australian
Suspended
Jul 28, 2009
Newman
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco Lions
Pretty sure they are Illegal Mate? I had 2 I bought while in China a few years ago taken from me by Perth Customs Officers & was told they are illegal to bring into Australia. Got fined for Weapons & all.

Don't quote me on that 100% though as This was what Customs officials told me & was 2 & a bit years ago.

scooterb

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Baker Street
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Raging Nicky Boje Fanatic
Considering I got a spud gun confiscated off me by customs, i'm assuming a slingshot would also receive similar treatment.

Nov 23, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
35 Acquisition of weapons (1) A person may acquire a weapon only if--
(a) the person is a licensed dealer; or​
(b) the person is the holder of a permit to acquire the weapon and acquires the weapon--​
(i) from or through a licensed dealer; or​
(ii) through a police officer in circumstances prescribed under a regulation; or​
(c) the person acquires the weapon under other lawful authority, justification or excuse.​

I presume you would also need a license (if you don't have one).

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/qld/consol_act/wa1990107/s10.html

You would also need to find out what the definition of a firearm and weapon in Queensland.

You would probably be safer buying one in Australia, as one from Hong Kong may not fall under the Weapons Act.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
I bought one years ago in a hunting store. I had to provide my address and license so they could record it. Recently sold it at a garage sale.
Couldn't that potentially be bad for you if the person you on-sold it to misuses it and it gets traced back to you as it's registered under your name?

I'm sure we are all dying to know why you want one Chief :D

That said, I'm of the unsubstanciated opinion that these would be illegal.
Suggest you give Police Information / Customs a call or the Weapons Licencing authorities.

Couldn't that potentially be bad for you if the person you on-sold it to misuses it and it gets traced back to you as it's registered under your name?

I'd be hoping that didn't happen too! Would imagine the onseller would be held culpable for sale of a prohibited or licenced weapon or something along those lines.

I had a slingshot as a kid i bought from a local sports store that sold BMX's and skateboards etc back when i was about 12 going on 20yrs now and i loved it!! Me and my mates would go down to the paddock out the back of Altona behind Cherry Lake take turns and shoot everything that moved (Or at least try to! I never hit much!! lol) than mum found it and took it off me and it hasnt been seen since!

They do bring back memories though! As for your question Chief i am pretty sure they are Illegal here in Vic and have been for some time close to 15 years i think.

Ahhhh those were the days after school getting into all sorts of strife! ;)

Theres some usefull Info here Chief from a whirlpool forum that answers a few questions on there legality bear in mind though it is 3 yrs old but i dont imagine the laws would of changed to much.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/522802.html

The slingshot didn't have a serial number or anything like that. The store just took my name and address. It's been about 5 years since I bought it. I guess the only thing that could happen is the person who bought it could get in trouble with the cops then they'd ask where they got the slingshot from.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
I was looking into this today because I was thinking of buying one online from Hong Kong.

It seems that in Queensland, they are legal with the exception of wrist-rocket slingshots, which have a brace on the wrist to aid in getting a stronger draw on the rubber.

Source - Weapons Act 1990 (Qld) - http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/qld/consol_act/wa1990107/

What about for other states?
Did you end up getting one?
Im looking on ebay and googled legal and got this thread.
this one says they get through Australian Customs
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/True-man...025?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cbfd71f1

We bought one in Tombstone on our US trip. Has a wolf carved in it and everything. Chief Jr and I had a good go in the car park that day. It was the winter off-season so we didn't hit too many cars.

No questions asked at customs.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Kewl I will order one from Honkers on ebay and see if it gets here.
Then I will see if I can rustle up something to eat.

Back