Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
UPDATED VERSION - WITH LINKS TO FONT AND ALIASED SHIELD TEMPLATE

In this tutorial, I'm going to explain how to create a retro 80's VFL shield logo using Microsoft Paint.
The example logo we will create is one for the new Gold Coast Football Club, using the popular "Sharks" nickname.
2uz7bxd.jpg

-----------------------------------------
1. What you need
  • Windows computer with MS Paint
  • PowerPoint 2003 or later
  • VFL shield template
  • "Marbold" logo font

1.1 Shield template
I've edited a logo from Mero's brilliant FootyJumpers.com website, grabbed the shield outline and edited into an aliased (pixeled) image so it can be coloured and edited easily.
Get it here

1.2 "Marbold" logo font
With thanks to board member Omegaville, we now have the exact font used by all VFL clubs in the late 70's to early 90's.
Get it here

2. Colouring the logo
OK. So now you have the templates, open up Microsoft Paint on your computer.
Go to Edit on the top menu, click that and go down to Paste From...
2dv0rv4.png

A dialog box will open up; you have to find where you saved the shield template on your computer - it's probably somewhere under your "My Pictures" folder.
Once you've found that, it'll paste into your Paint area. Before you start filling the shield in, click on the Select button on the Paint toolbox and drag the shield into the middle of the screen - it's easier to work with.
219uud1.png

Now you have to decide what colours you want the shield to be. You can change the top, middle, and bottom borders, and the space inside them.
I normally keep the large spaces white, but it's up to you if you want to fill it in or not.
To fill in the shield, go to the Paint toolbox on the left and click on the fill bucket.
wttx00.png

Now click on a light yellow colour in the colour pallette, as that's the colour we're using to colour the top border of the shield.
287dya.png

With the fill bucket, click on the top border on the shield and fill that in.
262tqib.jpg

Continue to fill the rest of the shield borders in - a light blue colour for the middle border line, and red colour for the bottom border on the shield.
Your shield should now look something like this:
rm1u3c.jpg

Once you have your shield coloured, go back to the Select tool which I showed earlier, click that, and drag the cursor over the shield. Once the shield is fully selected, right click the shield and click "Copy".
2pq9mjl.jpg

Now open up Microsoft PowerPoint. I find this is a good program to use for editing if you don't have Photoshop, etc.
Right-click and paste the shield into a new slide on PowerPoint.

3. Lettering
You can now quit your old Paint shield document, and open up a new Paint document for the lettering.
With the discovery of the font it is now a lot easier to create a professional-looking retro shield logo.

Go to the menu bar and select "Insert > Text Box."
bzhv9.jpg

Drag a text box around the area of the top part of the shield. Type your nickname for your team, and select "Marbold" from the font drop-down menu.
Note: if you don't see Marbold in the list then you haven't installed the font properly - just Google search "how to install font on windows" and you'll get millions of helpful results.

If your shield copied in to your slide the same size as mine then I find a good font size is 48 - not too big and leaves enough room for the full club name below it. Alter your font size if need be.

Your shield now probably looks something like this:
2ikcy95.jpg

Now in keeping with the team colours, 0, 183, 239, select the "Sharks" text and change the font colour to a light blue, like we used in Paint. If you can't find the exact font colour, the RGB values are 0, 183, 239 (don't worry if you don't understand this).

3.1 Subtitle lettering
In all of the 80's shield logos, they had the team nickname as the main text with the full club name below it, in a smaller font. It looks nice and we'll continue with that tradition in this tutorial.
Select "Insert > Text Box" and this time create it just below your Sharks header. Make sure there is enough room for this subtitle (you may need to nudge the Sharks header up slightly).

Type in "Gold Coast Football Club," set the font size at 12 pt (or whatever yours needs to be) and change the font colour to that same blue we used.
I'm not exactly sure on what the official subtitle font is, but the one I use is pretty close and looks nice.
It's called "Tahoma" and it's a standard font across all computers.

Once you've finished your lettering, your logo should look something like this:
2w5n9ly.jpg

READ NEXT POST FOR PART 2...

Re: Create a retro shield logo on Paint - a tutorial

4. Mascot
The mascot takes pride of place in all logos and this is no exception. For my Gold Coast Sharks logo I used a clip-art image by searching "shark" using the clip-art function on PowerPoint.
To make it easier for everyone I've made a link for you to save the shark picture.
Get it here

Now adjust the size and put it in the middle of the big blank space on the shield like so:
do0y07.jpg

5. Finishing touches
Finally I guess, the little finishing touch is the AFL logo at the very bottom of the shield. I've put it there because Gold Coast are going to be competing in the AFL, but if you were designing a shield logo for your local club, then you'd put your local league logo there instead. Of course this isn't a necessity (and would look out of place in some logos) but for this it looks alright.

I've linked the AFL logo for your convienence:
Get it here

Once you copy and paste that into your Powerpoint slide, you'll have to downsize the picture by dragging the corner of it to make it smaller, and then position it at the bottom of the shield.

Your finished logo should now look like this:
2uz7bxd.jpg

6. Saving
Once your logo looks good in your Powerpoint presentation, drag your mouse over the whole logo, and everything should be selected. Right click the logo, then go to Grouping and across to Group.
1pjp5s.jpg

The logo is now one whole picture. Now you have to save your logo as an image file.
Right click the logo and click Save as Picture...
o6bes4.jpg

A dialog box will come up asking you where to save the picture. Choose a folder under "My Pictures" or something like that.
Save the file name as "Gold Coast shield logo" or something along those lines.

But! Make sure when you save, underneath the name where it says "save as type", click on PNG Portable Network Graphics Format. This is the best file type to save as:
a3fvro.jpg

7. Uploading
To upload your image to BigFooty, go to TinyPic.com. You don't even need an account to upload.

Under "Upload Images & Videos", where it says File:, next to that click Browse...
hu5d86.png

Find the picture file on your computer and double click it.
Then you have to resize the image so it doesn't come out huge. Click on Rezise: and then select Website/Email (320x240):
55p2ti.png

Once you click UPLOAD NOW!, you'll get a "post upload" screen with a whole heap of code.
Select the second code and copy it - the code is called IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards:
zx6zjs.png

Now paste that code straight into a reply post on BigFooty and voila!
You have yourself a very own - posted - retro 80s custom shield logo. By completing this you'll have the basic knowledge to move on to creating other masterpiece shield logos for KOTW competitions, etc.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's posts,
Gibbsy :footy:

Just finished up fellas. I wanna see some Gold Coast Sharks designs, just like mine - then I know you're ready to create your own custom ones (local teams, etc.)

Good luck!

Good point. I'm sure photoshop users can adapt. This is just for the Paint users.

Looking back I think I've gone a bit overboard with the step by step :eek:

I'm telling people how to copy and paste :eek:
It's like I'm teaching a baby :D

Good point. I'm sure photoshop users can adapt. This is just for the Paint users.

Looking back I think I've gone a bit overboard with the step by step :eek:

I'm telling people how to copy and paste :eek:
It's like I'm teaching a baby :D
It's better to be over prepared than under prepared.

Well done on the effort buddy. Might give doing one a shot if I find some time.

Thanks aidan. Screenshots took me forever but I guess if it wasn't for them people might be a bit perplexed.

But it's good to know I'm helping people :D

How do you post images? i want to post one i made but i dont know how lol:eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heres my logo for a team for Townsville if they ever join the AFL:
2cctp2e.png

Also, are Greens and Blues a good nickname?

Good stuff Aidan. But you should put "Essendon Football Club" underneath the Bombers logo.

Strapped for time, that's why I didn't.

PMing my KOTW idea to InCase, trying to complete the "2010 AFL Jumpers" collection, which will all be propped up in a thread once completed;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back