B_GLassi

Senior List
Oct 5, 2009
West Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eels, Indian Cricket, CC Mariners
I didn't know where else to ask this question but is there a website giving through details of the positions in Aussie Rules?

Modern football has 4 positions on the field

Ruckman
Defender
Forward
Midfielder

Gone are the days of a position on the field actually meaning anything, the same as statistics

is there a site where i can get a team position sheets from. you know the ones your coaches use to write your names on before they invented the white magnetic board.

is there a site where i can get a team position sheets from. you know the ones your coaches use to write your names on before they invented the white magnetic board.
I remember them sheets. Our team was announced by being put up in Thomo Butcher Shop on Friday on one of them sheets. By the way I don't know where to get them. :(

What about quarterback, power forward and designated kicker? ;)

Modern footy teams pretty much consist of a ruckman, two or three big blokes at each end and the remainder multiples of generic 6' to 6'3'' running players.

When you're a kid phys ed teachers and junior coaches spend half their time trying to explain to you to stay in your position rather than all clump around the ball. I guess these days if you watch the AFL on TV then go to training/school you'd probably wonder what the hell the teachers/coaches are on about...

I remember them sheets. Our team was announced by being put up in Thomo Butcher Shop on Friday on one of them sheets. By the way I don't know where to get them. :(

Those were the days. Ours would be posted at the local deli front window. Use to race home from school on a friday arvo and straight down the deli to see where i was playing. I think it was a gimmick tho as our coach owned the deli and we always ended up buying something whilst there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Modern football has 4 positions on the field

Ruckman
Defender
Forward
Midfielder

Gone are the days of a position on the field actually meaning anything, the same as statistics
Yes statistics in Aussie Football are rubbish when the TV boys get going and predicting things that side might do and refer back to statistics that range somewhere around the same amount over months but never ever exact EVER. They forget one thing, that is, Aussie rules has a weird shaped ball, and it can bounce ANYWHERE it can bounce EVERYWHERE, it can bounce ANY WHICH WAY.
And no expert before a game is played can tell what split-second action of which there are millions, that the ball might go because of the wind or the way the kick left the boot, or the grass condition it lands on, football moves forward sideways up down over and out, and if you can gain reliable stats watching it, they still mean nothing , on the day!
You can't predict anything. ANYTHING????????

If a team continually plays up the boundary, which every one does now, then a stat could be close to correct, if the whole game from a certain club was played up the boundary, every week then the On the Couch boys could use that stat to say this team never plays up the middle. but no one hardly does now, boundary kicking is all about defence and kills the one on one sport this is meant to be, it creates stop start and packs.
Safety on the boundary ? Except you can't really use the boundary as a safety measure tactic, gee wiz would Butch Gale be freaking out if he saw some of the stuff today. You know the ball bounces accidentally (which our ball does continually) off some blokes ankle from the rear, from a foot out, and its a free, because of the stupid OOBOTF, deliberate, precision kicking to the boundary line , sometimes gets the kickers team mate a mark , but some times those precision kickers can't kick a straight drop punt with any confidence any more, so where is the emphasis ? COACHES, for goal kicking , it seems to me that defending is the go and umpiring free kicks for shots on goal, lots missing,

Packs and scrums and stupid free kicks where no one, lots of the time watching has any idea what the free is for because it's pulled out of a pack of 15 or 20 players. When thirty six footballers follow the pill , there are no positions, as answered above Ruckmen defenders forwards and midfielders. And the whole 36 roving players, thats little league, for people who have never watched those game length duels by top quality AFL champion consistent players, like watching a centre half forward on centre half back, back flankers on forward flankers rovers going every where followed by a roving opponent , the only ones that follow a follower around the ground these days, are Ruckman ! (or taggers , who are a blight sometimes , sometimes needed though), and the ruckmen now even have to put up with an umpires whistle, and if you watched Paddy Rhyder and Mumsford a few weeks back you'd see an instance of a ruck infringement that neither player knew who was the infringer and who gets the free????????? Thats just one stupid instance of new rules and boundary throw ins by the billions. So that answer above now days is perfect, it simply wound me up , because position disappearance and rolling mauls and hand passes that aren't HAND BALL AT ALL!!! Bad kicking, 20 or more players round the ball, in whats supposed to be a skillful open moving game , that it was once, and is not now.
Oh yeah there is still some with footy nous but not as many these days

So back in 2010 or 2009 or whenever this position question was brought up, was around the time there was still some semblance of Australian Rules football, right now with groups of players playing "FOUR" positions well the greatness of our game has been stunted, watered down, turned into keepings off with basketball fouls, if you can play that not letting your opponent even have a look, the skills must be dynamite to play perfect precision keepings off. Richmond can do it, Hawthorn used to do it, again, if you never saw the great days, you never saw the 80's 90's and very early 2000's, then you would need to know what positions your team had, and you could understand football once upon a time. If you never saw it , you missed the greatest sport on the earth. Its a mish mash of stoppages, and weird free kicks , and its very sad, It would only take a bit of tingling around to remove some of the new game stopping and spoiling rules to get back to what we have once the most unique sport in the world, ruined by corporates and money.

Watching it on TV, can sometimes cost you money, because some umpire using a "Steve Hocking idiot new rule change" , has caused you to throw a brick through the TV set!
There feast on that whinge, when its good its great the bad has killed that though, because of rule fiddling, none which worked .
Have a look at scoring now, NO not talking about COVID shorter games talking about 2019 and before.

Indeed. It lists Ryan Lonie as a "Notable Half-Back Flanker" :eek:

I would also like to know the origins of some of the positional names i.e. "rover"
P0ossibly named after a generic name for a dog. The job of a "rover" after all is to play fetch with the ball for four quarters.

Or more likely because they are one of the "followers", who "rove" the whole ground playing fectchwith the ball. Most other players would play somewhere near their position back in the day. Obviously that is way out the door now, things progress (or regess, all in the eye of the beholder).

Rove - means to "travel constantly without a fixed destination"

Ruck - means a group of people or a scrum, hence the ruckman is there to tap it into the group or scrum

Ruck-rover is a bit of both.

"Centreman" is pretty obvious, as is centre half fwd and back.

"Flank" means one side or the other, to be on one side or the other. So the flanks are either side of the CHF and CHB

"Pocket" I guess means what it sounds like, in a corner or pocket of the ground

Full fwd or full back are pretty self explanatory.

P0ossibly named after a generic name for a dog. The job of a "rover" after all is to play fetch with the ball for four quarters.

Or more likely because they are one of the "followers", who "rove" the whole ground playing fectchwith the ball. Most other players would play somewhere near their position back in the day. Obviously that is way out the door now, things progress (or regess, all in the eye of the beholder).
Definitely regression!! The loss of positions, has not just changed the game for the worst and the quality, it has put people who had only this sport in their hearts to follow, to give up on it.
Its too fast, lack of skills in some players, players get too many collision injuries or just pull muscles all the time.
And it is umpired like basketball, the rules the barely sometimes understanndable inconsistent calls from umps doing their job properly but with nonsensical new and changed rules every game every week making our sport abysmally a lesser game that it used to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back