SUPASTARR

All Australian
Nov 2, 2006
Vic
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Orlando
Would have thought United would make the 6 at least?? Nobody has mentioned them. I think Mansfield might be the most vulnerable to miss out.

Re: Goulburn Valley FL - Part 4

1. Kyabram
2. Echuca
3. Shepparton Swans
4. Mansfield
5. Rochester
6. Mooroopna
-------------------
7. Tatura
8. Shepparton United
9. Seymour
10. Euroa
11. Shepparton
12. Benalla

Morrison Medalist - Ash Watson (Rochester)
Biggest Disappointment - The struggling numbers in the reserves teams for some of the struggling teams.
Surprise packet - A team wins the flag from fourth, fifth or sixth on the ladder.
Biggest Headline - Swans have lots of injuries.

Would have thought United would make the 6 at least?? Nobody has mentioned them. I think Mansfield might be the most vulnerable to miss out.

Fair points. United should improve, but who do they tip out of the finals?

Last year's top six was Rochester, Kyabram, Mansfield, Tatura, Mooroopna and Seymour.

Seymour have lost lots of good players, so they could miss. Tatura haven't really picked up much, but still have a solid list. Mansfield and Rochester have both lost some quality players. Kyabram and Mooroopna have picked up some good players.

Echuca, Swans and United should all challenge for finals places. The top eight, possibly nine if including Seymour, should be fighting for six places. Euroa, Bears and Benalla will miss.

Regardless, it's probably going to be one of the tightest years for quite some time.

Premiers: Echuca
Runner up: United
Top 6: Echuca, Kyabram, United, Swans, Mooroopna, Mansfield
Morrison Medallist: Mick Gay (Mooroopna)
Biggest Disappointment: Shep Swans fail in finals again....
Suprise packet: Euroa
Biggest Headline: Whippet returns to the GV.....

Fair points. United should improve, but who do they tip out of the finals?

Last year's top six was Rochester, Kyabram, Mansfield, Tatura, Mooroopna and Seymour.

Seymour have lost lots of good players, so they could miss. Tatura haven't really picked up much, but still have a solid list. Mansfield and Rochester have both lost some quality players. Kyabram and Mooroopna have picked up some good players.

Echuca, Swans and United should all challenge for finals places. The top eight, possibly nine if including Seymour, should be fighting for six places. Euroa, Bears and Benalla will miss.
Regardless, it's probably going to be one of the tightest years for quite some time.

We hope so mate, I think we are about to come back to earth abit, and as i have said before we have had our time. Speaking to our former Cocker this Jason Eagle is about to take the league by storm, he rates him higher than his former triple premiership player Saad Saad.

Premiers: Echuca
Runner up: United
Top 6: Echuca, Kyabram, United, Swans, Mooroopna, Mansfield
Morrison Medallist: Mick Gay (Mooroopna)
Biggest Disappointment: Shep Swans fail in finals again....
Suprise packet: Euroa
Biggest Headline: Whippet returns to the GV.....

Premiers ..... Echuca [ and good on them have worked hard to be up there]
Runner up .... Mansfield [ Still got a good side to go close]
Top six ...... Echuca,Swans,Mansfield,United,Mooroopna, and SEYMOUR
Biggest Disappointment..... Perry Meka
Suprise Packet...SEYMOUR [ Im Hoping]
Biggest Headline.......Eagle tested for steroids[massive unit]

Premiers ..... Echuca [ and good on them have worked hard to be up there]
Runner up .... Mansfield [ Still got a good side to go close]
Top six ...... Echuca,Swans,Mansfield,United,Mooroopna, and SEYMOUR
Biggest Disappointment..... Perry Meka
Suprise Packet...SEYMOUR [ Im Hoping]
Biggest Headline.......Eagle tested for steroids[massive unit]
Jason Eagle is very Impressive unit.. Having watched him in 08 in the cairns league kick over 100 goals with ease [ inferior to both QAFL and GVFL] not sure whether as exciting as the great Saad Saad.. but will be hard to match up, even by the strongest of teams this season.. an EXCITING individual he is.

Rochy played against Wodonga Raiders on the weekend in their first hit out and struggled a bit, pretty sure they only kicked 7 or 8 goals. THe raiders have picked up a few, but couldn't see them finishing higher than 4th this year in the O&M. Heath Aitken played well and Pez Oliver kicked 4-5 goals to suggest he'll spend a lot of time up forward this year.

Rochy played against Wodonga Raiders on the weekend in their first hit out and struggled a bit, pretty sure they only kicked 7 or 8 goals. THe raiders have picked up a few, but couldn't see them finishing higher than 4th this year in the O&M. Heath Aitken played well and Pez Oliver kicked 4-5 goals to suggest he'll spend a lot of time up forward this year.
Any word on how Simon went as coach Tav? First real hit out as coach...

Any news on the other praccy matches over the weekend. United lost by about a goal to northcote park. Both teams were well below full strength but was a good game. Ryan Normington and Sam Dawes were both standouts in the first half for united. Matt davies was also good up forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:thumbsdown:
Any news on the other praccy matches over the weekend. United lost by about a goal to northcote park. Both teams were well below full strength but was a good game. Ryan Normington and Sam Dawes were both standouts in the first half for united. Matt davies was also good up forward.
did normington play for united.i thought he signed at northcote park 2 months ago. i wonder who he will be playing for next week. let me know ranga when he moves on.:thumbsdown:

I think i mentioned that he was a standout for united but you obviously can't read properly. And have you never heard of anyone have a change in circumstances and want to come back to their home town and club. Good on him I say. He has improved a lot since going to Melbourne and will be a massive inclusion for united this year.

Any word on how Simon went as coach Tav? First real hit out as coach...

Hey inner.. No word on how Simon (McCarty) went, but he'll go well this year. He's surrounded himself with some quality assistants in Tank McPhee, Steve Rassmussen and Adam Palmer..

Heard a whisper Russell Robertson did his knee in the Swans praccy match on the weekend??

Hope that's not the case, he'll be an awesome acquisition to the GV if he plays..

Heard the same thing about robbo but could all be crap. Would be disapointing for the swans and the gv if that is true.

I heard that he only clashed knees with someone and he'd already kicked 4 before he'd done it and it was early in the game so he must of went alright then

I heard that he only clashed knees with someone and he'd already kicked 4 before he'd done it and it was early in the game so he must of went alright then
I asked a bloke from swans this arvo and he said it was a minor ankle, so I don't think whatever it is will be too serious.

Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane

Wouldn't tie Saad's shoelaces!

Interesting. I've watched a bit of Eagle's 09 season, and I certainly wouldn't say he plays like Jane. Only a very strong and brave man would suggest that to this fellow.

As Blueeyes suggested, probably not as exciting as Saad. All credit to Saad too. He was, and is, something of a super star in GV terms.

Eagle would be more in the Chris Stuhldreier mould (I'm a little scared just remembering that guy).

On Eagle - Hard at it, not a lot of carrying on (although I'd heard otherwise), and what impressed me was his efforts after the ball hits the ground. Great left foot, although a little off target (80 goals, 80 points in 09 I think).

I'm surprised, Tampa, that he wasn't big in 08 at Cairns (although kicked 100), because he came to QAFL well pumped up. Absolute G unit. Doesn't look that tall, but standing near him at the huddle, I'd say 6'1" or taller. Massive legs.

And he's usually at full forward (or was for Redlands), so having a full back "tag" you wouldn't be too out of the ordinary.

My tip would be for 120 goals if he can play up to 18 games and if United have some decent supply from the middle.

Michael Barlow (Freo) and Relton Roberts (Richmond), have both been elevated onto the main list at their respective clubs. Great effort from both to make it after not taking the TAC Cup path and getting drafted as teenagers.

Michael Barlow (Freo) and Relton Roberts (Richmond), have both been elevated onto the main list at their respective clubs. Great effort from both to make it after not taking the TAC Cup path and getting drafted as teenagers.

Here here Hank, must admit I was surprised a few years back when Barlow didnt get a rookie spot after his final year at school down here in Kilmore, and little Relton Roberts didnt look at all out of his depth for Richmond over at Yea a few weeks back . . . applied himself quite well :thumbsu:

Here here Hank, must admit I was surprised a few years back when Barlow didnt get a rookie spot after his final year at school down here in Kilmore, and little Relton Roberts didnt look at all out of his depth for Richmond over at Yea a few weeks back . . . applied himself quite well :thumbsu:

Ditto Doona

Are how refreshing to hear the TAC comp isn't the be all to end all.

Maybe some of those overpaid recruiting officers should have another good look around the countryside instead of going overseas.

And while I think of it great to see a footballer (supposedly too small) in Harbrow(rookie list also?) dominate a game when a lot of "knowledgable" persons are still trying to teach atheletes, rugby players, basketballers etc to play Aussie rules.

And I won't get started on that other bullsh!t idea of another waste of our money in Dubbo East or West Sydney or wherever.

No RSVPs to Magpie party
Not everyone is enjoying the flood of high-priced recruits into Goulburn Valley Football League this season.
Shepparton Swans' luring of former Melbourne teammates Russell Robertson, Adem Yze and Nathan Brown has highlighted an eventful off-season in the competition.
Echuca, Shepparton United and Mooroopna are other Goulburn Valley clubs that have thrown the dollars around.
Then you have Euroa.
The Magpies, too, tried to join in the recruiting party, but repeatedly heard the same message: show me the money.
Euroa coach David Putamorsi will instead focus on developing youth as his club tries to remain competitive.
``It makes me laugh (hearing about all the recruits other clubs have),'' Putamorsi said.
``It is frustrating, but I've been involved in a lot of footy clubs where you've had those recruits and it can work against the club as well, especially for the locals.
``It's all well and good to get these players in to win, but then it's not giving the local kids much of an opportunity and that's how you lose them.
``When the imports just come up and play and then go it can cause a bit of a rift through the club, and the town for that matter, especially a small town.''
Putamorsi spoke to ``30 or 40 players'' during summer, but is becoming disenchanted with where local football is heading.
``A lot of them hold out for more money or won't commit and there's nothing you can do about it,'' he said.
``You've just got to work with what you've got. We're still talking to a few, but it's just hard getting commitment out of players this year.
``Footy is not like it used to be _ it's a lot harder. It's just amazing, even at training, you don't get good numbers like you used to back in the day.''
Putamorsi said big-spending ``minor'' league clubs are also proving a stumbling block.
``You lose one guy and then it just snowballs. His mate goes and his mate goes and a few start saying, `Geez, they've lost a few players,' '' he said.
``They go to another club that might be a bit stronger or minor leagues that offer $300 or $400, whereas we wouldn't pay them and that's hard and you lose a lot of players to that.
``We're not in a position where we'll be dictated to like that. We won't go down that track; we'll just say, `See you later.'
``You've got to take a stand and we can't afford to do it, anyway.''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back