Robert Murphy - a wasted talent

Remove this Banner Ad

With the addition of Hall, he appears to be wasted in the forward line set-up that also includes Johnson and Hahn. I feel there isn't room for all four of them.

Murphy plays his best footy when he is behind the ball, reading it from defence and launching attacks from there.

Before you ask who he replaces in the backline, ask yourself why does he have to replace someone? Who says you have to name a traditional back six? That's so ten years ago.

I would have thought with Shaggy out last night that it would have been perfect to play Murphy in defence. He looks so composed there and doesn't have to worry about putting stress on his hamstrings as he leads hard and fast on his twinkle toes to mark the ball in the forward half.

Peter Dean should just grab Murphy from Paul Williams and demand that he plays in defence.

He has seemed a little lost the last few weeks i agree, but he will come good, and he does offer a good lead up forward at CHF which we need. Having said that, would make sense to drop him back for a game to see how he goes, and even get some confidence back.

I am a little concerned about Aker, hasn't played that well in my opinion. Johnno was good for his first game back.

He has seemed a little lost the last few weeks i agree, but he will come good, and he does offer a good lead up forward at CHF which we need. Having said that, would make sense to drop him back for a game to see how he goes, and even get some confidence back.

I am a little concerned about Aker, hasn't played that well in my opinion. Johnno was good for his first game back.

Not to go off topic but I thought Aker was alright on Friday night and played a better game than Johnson.

His lead off forward work is great and his ability to turn on a dime and put the ball out lace first is terrific. He just needs to get back in the rhythm of sticking his marks and he will be hard to stop.

thought he was one of our best players in the first few rounds as the lead-up forward but he was beaten fair and square by Doughty the other night. I think teams normally get conned into player a tall defender on Murph but Adelaide took a different approach with a quicker and smaller defender and it worked very well.

There's no doubt that he is a very versatile player and can play back but the upside of Murph is his ability to create space on wing/half-forward and deliver to the leading forwards. Perhaps he just needs to work back inside 50 a little more in order to get himself on the score sheet?

I really agree with the OP. Murph needs to be played behind the ball. Were lacking composure and skill coming coming out of defence and I think these are murphs assets.

Up forward he doesnt have the strength to beat his opponents and is getting badly beaten. Our delivery isnt helping, but we cant expect silver service to the forwards every time, particularly with the defensive pressure being applied. Johnno can play the lead up role and did it very well on friday night.

As for aker, thought he was good. His tackling and kicking under pressure are still a class above most of the other players.

His lead off forward work is great and his ability to turn on a dime and put the ball out lace first is terrific. He just needs to get back in the rhythm of sticking his marks and he will be hard to stop.

^^^^^ this.

This team needs Murphy's lead up work if we are going to be successful. Watch his work rate, he creates space and provides a link up to the main forwards.

Once he stops dropping easy chest marks you will see his benefit to the team.

^^^^^ this.

This team needs Murphy's lead up work if we are going to be successful. Watch his work rate, he creates space and provides a link up to the main forwards.

Once he stops dropping easy chest marks you will see his benefit to the team.

OK, so where does that leave Hahn? Hall and Johnson are both a monty to stay in the forward line, but as I said there definitely isn't room for all four of them. Becomes too top heavy.

^^^^ Absolutely agree!
Murph is playing the traditional lead up CHF role - very hard to find these sort of players.

Dont worry about the odd week where he drops marks, there's always a reason for those games ;)

There's enough talent in defense to generate run so there's no need to send Murphy there.

OK, so where does that leave Hahn? Hall and Johnson are both a monty to stay in the forward line, but as I said there definitely isn't room for all four of them. Becomes too top heavy.

How can you say its "top heavy"

They are ALL very mobile marking forwards - exactly what you want :confused:
Buy they play different games:
Hahn - in & at in bullocking forward
Johno - Outside Running & leading
Hall - Deep forward target, bullocking.

The only thing thats missing from our forward setup is a snappy goal kicking small to clean up some of the crumbs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rediculous thread IMO. He was poor against Brisbane and a little better on Friday. Prior to that he was close to being back to his best.

Ask an opposition coach whether they would like to see Murphy line up in defense or in attack and I know what their answer would be. I've said it before....he is the hardest match-up in our side for opposition coaches. We have Harbrow and Gilbee to bring the ball out of defense so leave Muphy where he is the most dangerous. Our forwardline would be a bit predictable without him there.

He's overrated I think.

He's good. Punches above his weight and has some class - but isn't the gun most people on this board think he is.

Not saying his rubbish - just he's not a superstar.

He's overrated I think.

He's good. Punches above his weight and has some class - but isn't the gun most people on this board think he is.

Don't recall anyone declaring him a superstar. Quality player though....no doubt.

Rediculous thread IMO. He was poor against Brisbane and a little better on Friday. Prior to that he was close to being back to his best.

Ask an opposition coach whether they would like to see Murphy line up in defense or in attack and I know what their answer would be. I've said it before....he is the hardest match-up in our side for opposition coaches. We have Harbrow and Gilbee to bring the ball out of defense so leave Muphy where he is the most dangerous. Our forwardline would be a bit predictable without him there.

There's not enough area at Etihad Stadium to accommodate for all four of Murphy, Hahn, Johnson and Hall. You may get away with it at the MCG, but that would mean Murphy would have to step up in the big stage of September, which he has failed to do.

At least if you name him forward, the opposition coach knows he is a chance of having an off night. Sure, on the flip side he could dominate more than what he would in defence, but at the same time he would never have a poor game in defence, and is still extremely capable of having very good games back there.

He's overrated I think.

I have to agree.

I can recall a game at the Dome pre knee injury where he kicked 6 against Essendon and was clearly BOG. I thought great, he has finally delivered on all that promise. Then the ACL went a week or so later.

Post knee injury I can't really recall Murphy ripping a game apart. I too suspect he is overated as he's not quite A grade level. Didn't really stand out in last years finals. Solid B+, but of course just my opinion.

I'm another in the "Overrated" boat. He's a quality player and yes he's had the injury excuse, but just imagine the current squad with a true CHF!

I'd really love to see him dominate a game this year. I reckon he plays to his strengths really well and he is an important player, but c'mon Bob - stamp your authority on a game once in a while! Make 2010 your year!

His pre-season form was very encouraging though, he looks to be moving beautifully, but for whatever reason he seems to be going for the chest mark instead of actually putting his hands out in front.

/2 cents.

I'd really love to see him dominate a game this year. I reckon he plays to his strengths really well and he is an important player, but c'mon Bob - stamp your authority on a game once in a while! Make 2010 your year!

A bit of perspective - he's listed at 186cm and 82kg, and is playing at CHF. He's never going to be a "grab the game by the scruff of the neck" big forward. As he is, he's a wonderful lead-up marking option, just not a big power forward.

So, we put another player in the backline and improve our ball moving ability?

Doesn't sound like a bad idea at first until you try and figure out how you're going to move the ball through half foward when the opposition is putting numbers back.

We only have one tall marking target up forward and he sits within forty metres of the goals for the most part. So, if you don't have one at half forward to kick high to then you're going to have to rely on someone running into space on a fast lead. Who out of Hahn, Hill, Aker or Johnson would be able to do this like Murphy can?

He's really the only option on our list to manage that part of the ground. Grant might develop into a player that can when he improves his running ability, and Everitt might as well as his game becomes more diverse (obviously it would be great if Liam Jones could stand up over the next year or so as well).

Murphy may not get it all the time when on the lead, but he opens up a lot of space behind him when he presents for the ball, and the way we move the ball forward relies on that space being open for quick movement deep into the forward line.

So, I can see the value in dropping Murphy back in terms of getting him more of the football, but I think a lot more ball would get pumped into our back line if we were kicking it up in the air to Hahn, Aker, Johnson or Hill etc when going forward.

A 49pt win and some people still expect every player in the TEAMdo well.

Some of us are old enough (read watching Footscray 1970s, 80s and 90s sides) to remember when we were known for individual players more than as a TEAM (read Brownlows and $elling $tar player$ just to survive).

We now have a genuine TEAM, with self belief, who have a desire to succeed together.

Bob is but one member of our TEAM.

Over this 2010 season, i'd back (and read here...every teamate and most AFL coaches), Bob Murphy's unique attributes (read difficult match up) to meet OR exceed the expectations of his role within our TEAM ;)

Hear Hear! Include the 60's as well. The boys are going OK given the injury situation, and No 11's on his way

Remove this Banner Ad

Back