Dwayne Russell, clueless idiot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 1, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NFC AUFC MUFC Socceroos
Wow, just watching the replay of the game now, and if this guy isn't the most clueless commentator around I don't know who is. Clear to see he has Port history. Just one of the many gems he came out with today, Blight was sacked apparently. That's interesting I clearly remember Blighty saying he had enough and was walking away. Just one of many idiotic comments today.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Wow, just watching the replay of the game now, and if this guy isn't the most clueless commentator around I don't know who is. Clear to see he has Port history. Just one of the many gems he came out with today, Blight was sacked apparently. That's interesting I clearly remember Blighty saying he had enough and was walking away. Just one of many idiotic comments today.

Don't get too sensitive .......so they have been slightly non-factual
Not really something worth getting upset IMO

Two that do get under my goat ....simply because one is a sensationalist and always trying to beat a story up (Steve Quartermaine) and the other I just don't think adds value is Glen Jacovich

I have been really surprised this year how good Mathew Lloyd has been :thumbsu:

KingJames23

Team Captain
Jan 14, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
If walker watches the reply, he'll wonder whether he was actually playing. On a number of occassions, Russell referred to Walker as Tippett. Colbert was equally as bad and annoyed me how they kept referring to the Edwards mcleod dispute.

spexau

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Every time he's commentating when we're playing in Melbourne he always, with out fail, says "Player X won't mind being back home in Victoria!". Rubbish match caller.

-CG-

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
It gets a bit tiring when he goes on about player's histories every five minutes.

And when someone's making a debut he's bound to mention about their family watching in the stands at least three times.

Otherwise I think he's alright.

Riggy1

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Oct 7, 2008
here, there, everywhere
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS, NA Roosters, ATL Falcons
Friday Night = Bruce McAvaney
Saturday Afternoon = Kelli Underwood or Robert Shaw
Saturday Night = Steve Quatermaine or Matthew Campbell
Sunday Early = Dwayne Russell
Sunday Afternoon = who? I never watch this game, Bruce again isn't it?
Sunday Twilight = Brian Taylor creaming over some nobody

it's a lose/lose/lose/lose/lose/lose/lose/lose situation when you watch a game from home on TV

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go the Guts

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Mighty Double Blues
I normally don't mind Russell, but he went on and on and on about the McLeod Edwards thing today, just couldn't let it go. All because idiot McDermott decided to raise it again in today's paper. Really, both him and McDermott need to get a life. The issue he raved about has been brilliantly handled by all concerned - including the 2 players. It's none of friggin McDermott's business how they handle it, as long as it doesn't impact on other players, and there doesnt seem to be any evidence that it has.
At least Russell is south aussie and in other club games he often refers to certain players having origins from sturt or westies or norwood or other sanfl clubs - I like hearing that stuff, and it at least is partially educating the victorian public that there is a lot of great clubs supplying players to the afl outside of victoria.

lions_den

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 15, 2007
East Horsham
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
Not sure if it was Dwayn-o or not but someone mentioned Mitch Clark at the start of the game when he started in defence, that it was an interesting move considering he has no experience in defence. He actually rested in defence for the whole of 2009 when he was rucking.

Dwayno would actually be in my top 2-3 commentators though, come to think of it I think it was Spud Frawley who said it.

Butts_JZZ30

Club Legend
Aug 31, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I really like Matthew Lloyd as a commentator, I think he does a good job, he clearly understands the game. Dwayne Russel isn't that bad, he is usually quite professional and does a good job. I didn't watch yesterday, because I was at the game.

The one that I can't stand is Glen Jacovich. I loved him as a footballer, but WOW he is to simple to be in a commentary box. Adds nothing.

afc1991

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I really like Matthew Lloyd as a commentator, I think he does a good job, he clearly understands the game. Dwayne Russel isn't that bad, he is usually quite professional and does a good job. I didn't watch yesterday, because I was at the game.

The one that I can't stand is Glen Jacovich. I loved him as a footballer, but WOW he is to simple to be in a commentary box. Adds nothing.

Lloydy... God he is thick.

The other week he was lauding melbournes rookies, scully trengrove etc... said melbourne had picked the worst possible time to bottom out, clearly he meant best. He then went on to describe a backman who was 'the best forward I have ever played on'.... .:rolleyes:

I dont hate russel, though he is annoying. Has some obscure stat/annecdote for EVERY player in the league. I dont think he's biased, Ive heard him call our games with what seems genuine excitement, even in a showdown. (e.g the one we won with 19 fit men)

Shaw, Jackovic, Frawley should not have a jobs. Surely there are better special comments men somewhere.

Agree re Grybas, he was one of the best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back