FFE - Media Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

How can the age write a story on the pies dees game & not mention shaw taking on the player & dropping the ball.

They make out umps have no effect on the result, they should be naming the umps & asking questions, the players & coaches can hardly comment as the afl slap a fine on them.Everyone goes on about the need to attract & retain umps but if they are rubbish get rid of them or expose them to some scrutiny & they may improve.

I think an umps coach should be at the ground & drag the odd ump & send the emergancy out for the rest of the q, that may improve the consistancy.

I've been out in the middle during local league games here & inter state & have heard umps congratulating one another on bounces & other rubbish & telling blokes their positioning is great yet they don't see obviouse frees & love to pick out the technical off ball stuff.

Name these idiots who stuff up when they effect the outcome of a game

Jon Ralph on the front page of the Herald Sun's website today.

"RICHMOND'S legends have urged the club to keep faith with Ben Cousins, despite growing calls for the Tigers to retire."

Freudian slip? I don't think it should be plural.

Had to read it twice - first time though I thought you were objecting to the idea that Richmond had more than one legend! (KB might agree, mind you.)

How can the age write a story on the pies dees game & not mention shaw taking on the player & dropping the ball.

They make out umps have no effect on the result, they should be naming the umps & asking questions, the players & coaches can hardly comment as the afl slap a fine on them.Everyone goes on about the need to attract & retain umps but if they are rubbish get rid of them or expose them to some scrutiny & they may improve.

I think an umps coach should be at the ground & drag the odd ump & send the emergancy out for the rest of the q, that may improve the consistancy.

I've been out in the middle during local league games here & inter state & have heard umps congratulating one another on bounces & other rubbish & telling blokes their positioning is great yet they don't see obviouse frees & love to pick out the technical off ball stuff.

Name these idiots who stuff up when they effect the outcome of a game

We're coming up to a media deal. Most print journalists have their heads on the TV too, they don't want to mess anything up. So the umpires are off limits.

The HUN has three of the most ridiculous articles I've seen in a while on their site today.

1. "Footy Cops a Bashing" - Sure, the story of Froggy Crompton's jumper is newsworthy but the article opens with a paragraph about how there hasn't been any good news in footy this week. Well, that's because you've chosen to devote the pages of your worthless rag to sensationalizing non-stories. There was plenty of good news out there if you'd wanted to report it (like the debut today of Richmond's Matt Dea after his conversion from basketball).

2. "Trouble Pair Need Support" - What? As if the rag isn't full enough of Fevola and Cousins stories, they feel the need to write this load of s**t. If you really want to support them, stop writing an article every time they fart.

3. "Dire Straits for Tigers and Dees" - Not a good sign for GWS. Sheedy comes across as short-sighted and senile in this article. Richmond and Melbourne are financially healthy and are two of the youngest teams in the league. Of course they will struggle for a while on the field but there's no reason to think they will fold or be forced to merge. Sheedy should be more worried about the viability of his own side.

We're coming up to a media deal. Most print journalists have their heads on the TV too, they don't want to mess anything up. So the umpires are off limits.
Print journalists aren't criticising umpires because they're afraid of jeopardising the TV rights deal?

Sorry, but that's bullshit, and a further sign that, no matter how petty or implausible your criticism of the media, it will get a good run here.

Print journalists aren't criticising umpires because they're afraid of jeopardising the TV rights deal?

Sorry, but that's bullshit, and a further sign that, no matter how petty or implausible your criticism of the media, it will get a good run here.

I take it as a sign that umpire-bashing will always get a good run on BigFooty. If the greatest criticism you could make of the media was that they didn't analyse the umpire's decisions enough, the footy media would be in fantastic shape.

ABC Sport, keeping pace with personnel changes in Melbourne's coaching box:

High-flying Dees put Lions in their place

By Joel Zander
Posted April 24, 2010 22:06:00

Melbourne's high-octane brand of football under coach Neale Daniher has taken it to a surprise 50-point whipping of previously unbeaten Brisbane at the MCG.

ABC Sport, keeping pace with personnel changes in Melbourne's coaching box:

High-flying Dees put Lions in their place

By Joel Zander
Posted April 24, 2010 22:06:00

Melbourne's high-octane brand of football under coach Neale Daniher has taken it to a surprise 50-point whipping of previously unbeaten Brisbane at the MCG.
That's pretty bad. Even wikipedia has Dean Bailey listed as coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Tayte Pears now plays for Hawthorn.

Someone has misunderstood the opening sentence and created the blooper headline.

Obviously these articles are just passed on with no-one checking the content for even the most obvious errors.

Hawthorn's Pears out for eight weeks
Essendon will go into next week's AFL clash with Hawthorn weakened by the loss of key defender Tayte Pears, who will miss up to two months with a broken arm.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/hawthorns-pears-out-for-eight-weeks-20100426-tmpz.html

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/7111206/hawthorns-pears-out-for-eight-weeks/

http://twitter.com/aflfeeds

It's not implausible at all. I agree with you some of the media comments I read here are pure lunacy.

Frankly, it's not even a criticism. Most people will act in their own self interest. If you're employed by the HUN and you've got side gigs on TV and radio it's probably pretty good for the ego and the wallet. But you'll be made aware of how the AFL wants certain things portrayed by those organisations.

The umpires are always going to be a sore spot with the AFL. So who's going to run the gauntlet when a deal gets closer and jeopardise their extra cash and side gigs? The TV or radio station will wave them goodbye to protect their AFL access.

It's hardly any revelation this sort of thing goes on. See what happened to Louis Christopher at Fairfax after he started talking about fudged real estate figures, when the RE industry bought so much ad space from them. Even this year, Fairfax lose a large chunk of RE ad revenue and their stream of fawning articles come to an abrupt halt and they dive in with a week long series of articles and investigations on the RE and property industry.

AFL is the only game in town, these people love their job and the extra paid opportunity to discuss it. I have no doubt most here, despite their slagging of journalists, would do the same if they were in the same position.

It's just life.

Mike Sheahan article today:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-in-loss-for-tigers-than-in-win-for-hawks/story-e6frf9jf-1225867472452

First Mike is lazy with this off hand comment about Richmond's last quarter:

An estimated 15-18 kicks and handpasses were smothered by the opposition.

Estimated? Couldn't Mike spend an extra 30 minutes to watch the last quarter again and make sure of it? If he can't do that it's fine, just don't make stats up and use it in your article.

For rest of the article, Mike continues to go on about how poor both sides were, especially Richmond with comments such as:

Unless you saw it, you wouldn't have believed an AFL team could make as many mistakes as Richmond in absolutely ideal conditions

The Tigers made countless bad decisions and even more errors with their disposal.

For the Tigers, it's as if things that can go wrong will go wrong. Richmond racked up 96 possessions in the last quarter to Hawthorn's 64. That's a huge discrepancy, one that should have cost the Hawks the game.

He then ends this overwhelmingly negitive article with a three line paragraph about 5 of Richmond's best players and then puts this as his final sentence:

Still no points but at least something to look forward to.

Look forward to what exactly Mike? For 95% of the article you tell us how bad Richmond were, and then how terrible the Hawks were (who Richmond failed to beat) and you sum up your article like that?

In summary, this was a poorly researched, poorly constructed and in sections just a plain lazy article.

Mike Sheahan article today:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-in-loss-for-tigers-than-in-win-for-hawks/story-e6frf9jf-1225867472452

First Mike is lazy with this off hand comment about Richmond's last quarter:

Estimated? Couldn't Mike spend an extra 30 minutes to watch the last quarter again and make sure of it? If he can't do that it's fine, just don't make stats up and use it in your article.

For rest of the article, Mike continues to go on about how poor both sides were, especially Richmond with comments such as:

He then ends this overwhelmingly negitive article with a three line paragraph about 5 of Richmond's best players and then puts this as his final sentence:

Look forward to what exactly Mike? For 95% of the article you tell us how bad Richmond were, and then how terrible the Hawks were (who Richmond failed to beat) and you sum up your article like that?

In summary, this was a poorly researched, poorly constructed and in sections just a plain lazy article.
Richmond's disposal efficiency at over 79% actually topped the round - better than Cats, Magpies, Doggies etc. They did however have 5-10 more clangers than most winning sides so no doubt still plenty to work on. It was the first time Richmond have had more Uncontested Possessions than their opposition all season (about 50 more) so they were probably in shock as to what to do with all those unexpected disposals

Watching Footy Classified on Monday night Garry Lyon made a quip that Fox Footy Coverage is best in AFL! Hardly surprising seeing as Nine hate 7 & 10 who have the broadcast rights that they once had. Also doesn't Packer PBL own around 25% of Foxtel? I know that was the case 3 years ago when the rights went back to 7. How about next time he accompanies any such pro-Fox comments with a proviso that his employer is a significant shareholder of Foxtel.

How long has Port Adelaide been playing AFL matches at the Adelaide Oval?

Caro on FC kept going on about Port playing in Darwin each year "away from the Adelaide Oval" and that she would prefer them to stay "at the Adelaide Oval".

Then they ran a "tale of the tape" comparison of Justin Koschitzke with Quinten Lynch. The graphic referred to Koschitzke as "Kosy".

****ing amateur hour. :thumbsdown:

The dangers of trying to rush breaking news stories out, I am not sure Ken Sheedy's opinion is worth as much as Kevin's:

2ps2eqw.jpg

Also the article refers to

Confident of the challenge ahead, Sheedy noted Darren Fletcher and James Hird as AFL players he had successfully converted from others sports in his time at the Bombers.

Darren Fletcher is such a champ.

The dangers of trying to rush breaking news stories out, I am not sure Ken Sheedy's opinion is worth as much as Kevin's:

2ps2eqw.jpg

Better fullback than Simon Silvagni.

Confident of the challenge ahead, Sheedy noted Darren Fletcher and James Hird as AFL players he had successfully converted from others sports in his time at the Bombers.

I actually played junior footy against James Hird in Canberra, so I'm not sure how much conversion was required. Comment even more baffling given his father and grandfather played for the bombers. And wasn't "Darren" Fletcher playing school footy at the same time he started in the VFL?

noticed in todays herald-sun the headline "split bench mooted" written by mark stevens and jackie epstein.

the article starts by saying "A switch to 3 interchange players and a single substitute has emerged as an option as debate rages about capping rotations"

ok, fair enough statement.

but then further on in the article "AFL football operations manage adrian anderson did not rule out the 3 interchange/1 substitute option when the herald-sun put it to him, but stopped short of saying it was in the mix ahead of nexts months laws of the game committee meeting"

stevens/epstein "hey adrian, what about 3 interchange/1 sub as an idea?"
anderson "yeah sure mate great idea.......d###head" :rolleyes:
stevens/epstein "omg my idea is in the mix, theres an article in that lol"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back