Classic Fitzroy matches!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Classic Fitzroy matches

Rendell did so well that one wonders why he had not been playing regularly unless he was injured - which of course he was a great deal of the time during his career. I have wonder whether Rendell could be inducted into the Football Hall of Fame - any chance do you think, though I would call him a “dark horse” for induction.

Brett Stephens, who had taken over the centre-half-back role from Roos for several years, moved back to the forward line and kicked five goals, though it seemed he was playing most of the game as a loose man. Roos and Lynch, who had during 1989 and 1990 often filled the key forward posts, were clearly the two dominant players on the field, keeping Sumich so quiet that the Eagles had to move (future) star defender Glen Jakovich to the forward line, where he actually kicked two very good goals in the mini-shoot-out of the last quarter. You can see some details of the unusual scoring in this match here. Notable features, apart from a 17/1 outsider winning, were:

1. Fitzroy won despite being outscored for three quarters (there have been 97 matches won by only winning the third quarter, Fitzroy’s last game at Princes Park against Essendon in 1994 was similar)
  2. More goals were kicked in the last quarter than in the first three combined
I once e-mailed the author of Full Points Footy to ask about a discussion on that site of Fitzroy’s amazing win over North Melbourne in 1983, but I got no response even though when I look at the site I can tell that its owner is still working on it (it annoys me no end when incomplete sites are not updated).

- Bit harsh that Stephens missed Brownlow votes in what was his best game for the Roys.
- Lynch carved up Sumich. Though Sumich managed to kick three goals, all of which were as the receipient of dodgy free kicks.

- After knocking them over earlier in 1989 I recall winning three quarters against Geelong during a windy round 14 at a time when they were rampant. Unfortunately we got flogged in the third quarter and lost the game.

- Bit harsh that Stephens missed Brownlow votes in what was his best game for the Roys.
- Lynch carved up Sumich. Though Sumich managed to kick three goals, all of which were as the receipient of dodgy free kicks.

- After knocking them over earlier in 1989 I recall winning three quarters against Geelong during a windy round 14 at a time when they were rampant. Unfortunately we got flogged in the third quarter and lost the game.
I can testify from a DVD that the frees Sumich received were rather dodgy and dubious, and that the Eagles had very little up forward apart from him was clearly evident even before Fitzroy made their matchwinning burst in the third quarter. They seemed even in the second quarter to be lacking their usual sparkle, and to be frank Fitzroy did not have to play brilliantly to overhaul them: I imagine Fitzroy played a lot better against Essendon in their first three quarters for 1992.

Was this not the match where Rob Shaw instructed the players to go out and shake hands with their direct opponent, wish them good luck in their first home final next week, and apologise that they won't be playing in it as they were under instructions to thump that particular individual?

Coaching genius if you ask me.

Well adey that might have worked in the case of such players as Moose and so on, but I'm sure if Deano Harding had tried that tactic his opponent might have injured himself from laughing :D

PS: We missed you at the Roys Fantasy Footy team this year. Ready for a comeback?

Was this not the match where Rob Shaw instructed the players to go out and shake hands with their direct opponent, wish them good luck in their first home final next week, and apologise that they won't be playing in it as they were under instructions to thump that particular individual?

Coaching genius if you ask me.
I don't know, but what is interesting is how Fitzroy were playing two big men (Rendell and Stephens) on the ball in a manner that for those well-read in football history sounds rather old-fashioned. It is certainly true that the Eagles’ 1992 and 1994 premiership sides were remarkably weak in ruck power for teams that won a grand final, but at times I think this reflects Perth’s windy weather and that top ruckmen are of much less value when you habitually have powerful gales.

Round: 1 Venue: Victoria Park Date: 07 Apr 1979 2:10 PM Attendance: 29,596
Collingwood 1.5 2.7 5.12 9.15 69
Fitzroy 2.4 9.8 13.16 21.23 149

This would have to be one of the best games I have ever been to.

Fitzroy hadn't beaten Collingwood at Victoria Park by 80 points too often and the way we went about it was awe inspiring. The match was Bill Stephen's first for 1979 and he pulled a coaching master stroke at 1/4 time that I will never forget.

After a centre bounce, maybe even the opening bounce, Gary Wilson took off from the defensive side of the centre and sprinted past Ron Alexander, just as Alexander palmed the ball into Wilson's path. He plucked in out of the air (I can still see the ball spinning in his palm) and banged it forward. Someone got on the end of it and the result was a Fitzroy goal. It was a perfectly executed set play and not long after, Wilson and Alexander tried the same play. Only problem was that a Collingwood player, I think it was Ron Wearmouth, but I might be wrong, coathangered Wilson as he sprinted past and it was "lights out" time for Gary. What followed was one of the nastiest brawls I have ever seen at the football and the sniping and king hitting continued for most of what was a fairly scrappy first quarter.

Then came the coaching masterstroke. At quater time, they brought Wilson onto the oval on a stretcher and placed him among the playing group. I don't know what was said, but I can imagine. Anyway Fitzroy ignited in the second quarter and played some of the best football I have ever seen. After that, the game was a massacre. Had we not kicked inaccurately in the third quarter, we would have won by well over 100 points.

David McMahon had probably the best game of his career, kicking 6 goals, with the other contributors Max Richardson and Graeme Allen 3 goals, Beecroft and Irwin 2 goals and singles to Bramley, Conlan, Quinlan, Walls and even Harvey Merrigan snagged one.

I saw nearly every Fitzroy game from 1979 - 1989, but this is one that I will never forget. It ranks as one of my greatest Fitzroy memories along with smashing Essendon in the 1979 Elimination Final.

Maybe it wasn't exactly like this, but it is how I remember it.

Was anyone else at this one?

To close, my youngest brother, who was 9 at the time, had a little Fitzroy flag made out of some sort of synthetic material, that he snuck into the Collingwood members and when he got home he was really upset because it was full of holes / burn marks from where some Collingwood supporters had flicked lit cigarettes at it everytime we goaled and he jumped up to wave it. They were savage that day, but to their credit, most stayed right to the end, they just got angrier and angrier.

Only problem was that a Collingwood player, I think it was Ron Wearmouth, but I might be wrong, coathangered Wilson as he sprinted past and it was "lights out" time for Gary.

I remember this game like it was yesterday 3KZ!!

We were smack bang in the middle of pies supporters and my old man went nuts when the flea got hit. Needless to say he gave them a barrage of choice words after they ridiculed our little champ getting sniped! The only other time I saw him get that upset was when Cornes sniped Peter Keays at Ardern St.........

By the end of the game we had a heap of Roy Boys around us and they gave the pies supporters the best send off! A game that is up there in Fitzroy folklore!!

I remember this game like it was yesterday 3KZ!!

We were smack bang in the middle of pies supporters and my old man went nuts when the flea got hit. Needless to say he gave them a barrage of choice words after they ridiculed our little champ getting sniped! The only other time I saw him get that upset was when Cornes sniped Peter Keays at Ardern St.........

By the end of the game we had a heap of Roy Boys around us and they gave the pies supporters the best send off! A game that is up there in Fitzroy folklore!!

What a game - my main memory is the train ride home. My mum told me to keep very quiet until we got to Richmond..and Monday morning at school was fantastic.

Was a good year 79 - the first time in my lifetime that we were a good side..

There was a game I remember was when Ossie kicked 10 goals against my tigers. I think it was 1992 or sometime around then. He played awesome that day.

Also the 1986 final series, my late godfather who supported Fitzroy had cancer and he and I went to see the Fitzroy v Essendon when Mickey Conlan kicked the goal to put the Lions in front. The Essendon crowd was silent. It was such great day. I remember that day because he got excited about beating Essendon by a point. The scores

Fitzroy 8.10.58 def Essendon 8.9.57 VFL Park Waverley September 6th in front of 59,420 people :thumbsu:

I saw nearly every Fitzroy game from 1979 - 1989, but this is one that I will never forget. It ranks as one of my greatest Fitzroy memories along with smashing Essendon in the 1979 Elimination Final.
As a result of this win and another at VFL Park in the Lions’ best home-and-away crowd ever, Fitzroy were heavily favoured to win the 1979 First Semi-Final, but were upset by Collingwood. I wonder what homework the Magpies did to deal with Fitzroy’s strategies in their two home-and-away wins by an average of ten goals and race away in the third quarter to be 32 points up at the last change? Or was the pressure of the largest crowd Fitzroy ever played in front of (87,139) too much for them?

More than that, what if Fitzroy had not surrendered the double chance against Geelong in the last minutes of Round 22? I myself could not see Fitzroy beating one of the best sides in League history in either the second semi or the Grand Final, and the form North Melbourne showed against them in the wet in Round 19 (though Fitzroy had been just as good in the rain in Round 8) would not have been promising for their even reaching the Second Semi. As I see it, Fitzroy were as good in 1979 as in 1983 (their one real chance of a flag from 1948 onwards), but had such good sides in Carlton and North Melbourne to beat that they never had a chance of a rags-to-riches story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the extra time night series loss to Essendon has to count as a classic match .... that was a tense finish

Twas a tough loss Mobbs. I recall in horrible conditions we were in front for 99.99% of 'regular' time. With seconds left in the final quarter, and the good guys holding a six point lead, I think it was Salmon who shanked a long shot at goal. Heaven forbid the footy somehow found it's way into the waiting arms of Dean Bailey (though the average punter could not pick his physical appearance as that of the current Demon's coach) who tied the match virtually on the siren. Simon Madden goaled early in extra time and there would be no further scores.

The night featured the debut of Matt Dundas - and possibly Terry Board?

Im pretty sure Salmon kicked the goal to tie the scores with something like 6 seconds remaining!

Im pretty sure Salmon kicked the goal to tie the scores with something like 6 seconds remaining!

On second thought you are correct. It was Bailey to Salmon rather than vice versa.

I shall go and stand in the corner for five minutes:eek:

Haha speaking of being in odd places for periods of time: at that match, I met up with a bunch of backpackers, there was a bloke each from NZ, England, Ireland, and either Scotland or Wales but not both. They were blind drunk and had just wanted to see what the aussie rules fuss was about. They had no idea how to get back to where they were staying (St Kilda).

I decided to be a gentleman and, as I was taxiing home, offered them a lift. Everybody piled into a taxi, except one ...

At St Kilda, one of these tourists mentioned they just had to get their bags out of the boot.

Sure enough, with their being too many people to fit in the cab, straws had been drawn, and the (you guessed it!) Irishman travelled all the way from VFL Park to Luna Park in the trunk of the taxi!

More than that, what if Fitzroy had not surrendered the double chance against Geelong in the last minutes of Round 22?

:( Indeed! I didn't travel down the highway for that one, but remember listening to it on the wireless at home and being absolutely gutted. We managed to steal defeat from the jaws of victory against Geelong and it cost us.

Great post mianfei

Haven't been able to bring myself to go back to KP since that fateful afternoon. Home and hosed, we was.
mecry.gif

Indeed! I didn't travel down the highway for that one, but remember listening to it on the wireless at home and being absolutely gutted. We managed to steal defeat from the jaws of victory against Geelong and it cost us.

Great post mianfei
It would have been interesting to see what Fitzroy could have done in drier conditions against North in a Qualifying Final? They would have certainly had some confidence if they had held onto the double chance.

It’s strange to think, though, that Fitzroy might have had a better chance of playing in their first Grand Final for 35 years if they had lost to the rampaging Kangaroos. Collingwood would very likely have beaten the out-of-form Essendon as easily as Fitzroy did, but would Fitzroy have been hardened by their experience playing North in a much tougher game than they actually got against Essendon? That might have allowed them to maintain the dominance over the Magpies they showed in the home-and-away season and bounce back against the Kangaroos in a Preliminary final?

The issue of a premiership, really, though is nonexistent since Fitzroy never showed themselves able to handle Carlton’s small-man brigade. Wilson and Irwin might have been outstanding rovers, but Carlton then had so much more that they could focus easily on shutting these two down and still have runners to run riot.

You make a good point. Carlton beat us twice during the home and away season and they were clearly the best side in the competition, having won 19 of their 22 games and finishing on top of the ladder. Finals can be a different proposition though and sometimes home and away form can be confounded. As you said earlier, look at Fitzroy and Collingwood that year. We beat them twice duirng the year by an aggregate of 122 points (80 & 42), only to be bundled out of the Semi Final by 22 points, because we fell asleep in the third quarter.

Still, when it's all said and done, Carlton were deserving Premiers that year.

Just in case anyone is interested, the Fitzroy FC Shop has copies of the 1989 Reserves Grand Final for sale at $25. I bought the last of their current batch but they'll be getting more in very soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back