Woodville - Team of the Century (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi Folks, Just recently discussed a former Pecker/ Warrior who I believe hasn't been discussed previously...we missed one! LOL...Noel " Moonta " McCormack. Thought this chappie had above average ability, but perhaps didn't fully realise his potential.

Was about 6' 2" in height and could play in a variety of positions. As his nickname implies he hailed from Moonta on the Yorke Peninsula. Noel played 50 Games and dobbed 15 Goals from 1981-3. Methinks, he was a victim of M.J. " GOD " Blight's end of '83 cleanout sale...

Was pursued by South Adelaide and chalked up some League games with them in '84 only ( I think..) before returning to " the sticks "... Can anyone recall the boy? Thought he was a better than average player, also does anyone know how many games he played for the Panthers?

All feedback most welcome. Have fun everyone, Cheers all TBW.

Hi Folks, Just recently discussed a former Pecker/ Warrior who I believe hasn't been discussed previously...we missed one! LOL...Noel " Moonta " McCormack. Thought this chappie had above average ability, but perhaps didn't fully realise his potential.

Was about 6' 2" in height and could play in a variety of positions. As his nickname implies he hailed from Moonta on the Yorke Peninsula. Noel played 50 Games and dobbed 15 Goals from 1981-3. Methinks, he was a victim of M.J. " GOD " Blight's end of '83 cleanout sale...

Was pursued by South Adelaide and chalked up some League games with them in '84 only ( I think..) before returning to " the sticks "... Can anyone recall the boy? Thought he was a better than average player, also does anyone know how many games he played for the Panthers?

All feedback most welcome. Have fun everyone, Cheers all TBW.

I remember Noel McCormack, I think he wore number 38.

I was pretty sure that in 1983 towards the end of the year Blighty put a ban on players going back to the club or something like that and he left for that reason.

Can anyone clarify that??

The Big Warrior's internet is currently down I believe, probably until later in the week.

I do know he was at a ex-warrior birthday over the weekend and no doubt has a few updates to provide. :thumbsu:

Cheers crowgirl! Believe it or not can recall your dad: Dean Pangrazio at Pecker Park. He played 3 Games, 0 Goals in 1982 wearing the No. 26 guernsey for The Mighty Peckers. He was a HBF of approx 5' 10" in height and average build. At the time, I recall he had dark, slightly receding hair and a moustache. Recall that he played SAFA with Ferryden Park ( also green & gold colours..) prior to his Woody days.

Couldn't crack a regular game at League level but seem to remember him playing some good games in the Ressies and thought the " boy " had some ability. Methinks he was a mature age recruit and might have been around 25 Y.O. in 1982.

Your Dad might be able to verify this but did he train with South Adelaide after leaving Woodville ? Ironically, the last of his 3 Games for Woodville was against South at Footy Park on 10/7/82. A former workmate of mine at that time played with South and recall him telling me " Deano " was doing pre-season with the Panthers maybe in 1983/84? Have a sneaking suspicion that he didn't end up playing with South but may have gone back to Ferryden Pk. instead....

Wow! Impeccable memory.... I will have to ask Dad about South Adelaide. He's in his 50's now and still loves a kick and plays in the master league :)

Wow! Impeccable memory.... I will have to ask Dad about South Adelaide. He's in his 50's now and still loves a kick and plays in the master league :)

Yep, he said you are spot on! He also was amazed because he can't think who would know that or how, lol

Haha, I pop into big footy for the first time in ages to find old school warriors and peckers still reminiscing!! Happy 61st yesterday to Ralph Sewer.

Yep, he said you are spot on! He also was amazed because he can't think who would know that or how, lol

Cheers Crowgirl, Back in the '80s I worked in the same office as a veteran South Adelaide League footballer. Because he was well aware of the fact I was a Woodville Maniac, I was informed of all player movements from Woodville to South. As a result in the '80s I heard " first " about former Peckers/Warriors moving to Pantherland. In the 1980s there were several: Glynn(is) & Daryl Hewitt, Wayne Carty, Noel McCormack, Lance " Julian " Reilly & your Dad who I was informed was out training with The Panthers.

I may have missed someone but they are the ones that spring to mind. Much praise to your Dad playing in his 50's- TREMENDOUS STUFF....

Adelaide Hawk, if you are still a Big Footy poster here is what you quoted/lamented on page 25 of Woodville-team of the century (part1) on 14/9/2005.

"1978 was my favourite year ... Norwood/Hawthorn premiership double. Very doubtful I'll ever see it again "

Goods times are back, with Norwood completing the double yesterday!

Only 70 plus pages still to get through on WTOTC (part 1). Long night.

Unfortunately I will NEVER see a Woodville, North Melbourne double.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide Hawk, if you are still a Big Footy poster here is what you quoted/lamented on page 25 of Woodville-team of the century (part1) on 14/9/2005.

"1978 was my favourite year ... Norwood/Hawthorn premiership double. Very doubtful I'll ever see it again "

Goods times are back, with Norwood completing the double yesterday!

Only 70 plus pages still to get through on WTOTC (part 1). Long night.

Unfortunately I will NEVER see a Woodville, North Melbourne double.

Yes GiantRooBoy, very sad stuff about not seeing that premiership double!! The closest thing would be a Weagle( Woodville/West Torrens) & Kangaroo double, but as we know: NOT THE SAME!

Some inspiration to pass onto fellow Woody Tragics! We went to the 2013 SANFL GF recently, yours truly looking resplendent in my PECKERS scarf! Got a "few funny looks" but thought the first scarf I wore to Footy Pk. was a Peckers one, so only appropriate to wear it to the last game there....Late in the game a young, happy Norwood fan turned around and asked, " Who is the Green and Gold Team?"

I responded "They were my side, they were WOODVILLE and they were the best team!" This " little tike " and his father looked somewhat bemused, Mrs. TBW was " suitably impressed " and I reflected that this young chappie had just learnt the greatest footy lesson, he ever will experience!!

Finally, enjoy reading the last 70 or so pages of WTOTC ( Part 1), it's classic stuff....Cheers, TBW.

Hi everybody and hope we are all having a highly enjoyable 2009 thus far! Thought I better post some Woody info. and come up with some " new " stuff for us devotees of the W.F.C. to reflect upon...The player I will discuss ( I am positive) has not been mentioned before in the previous thread.

It is 1964 player: DES BATT. Des who ?? you might say...but this chappie wrote himself into the record books! " The Battster " became the first Pecker to play in a victory in his League debut! In Round 3 of 1964, Des in his first appearance at League level was a part of our 10 point massacre...LOL of fellow SANFL newcomer Central District at Pecker Park before a crowd of 2925. Have always thought the first game between the two new sides might have drawn a bigger crowd !?!

This game was on Sat. 25/4/64: Round 3 and the final score was Woodville 9.14 68 defeated Cent. Dist. 8.10 58. There was a full round of 5 games that Anzac Day. I believe Des Batt started on the bench ( 19th or 20th man..) and only hope he got on the park to savour the victory...My research came up with the fact that " The Battster " was a wingman/HFF. Prior to our admission into League ranks in '64, he had played 45 Seconds games between 1961-63. In his second League appearance the following week he kicked 2.0 out of a " modest " 6.10 in our 39 point loss to Norwood also at Oval Avenue.

Des Batt played all of his 11 League Games in the 1964 Season and kicked a total of 2.1. Even though we also beat Centrals in Rounds 9 & 19 in 1964, Des was playing in the Seconds on those occasions! Des made the Best Players list once only and that was in Round 16: 8/8/64 in our 49 point loss to Westies at Richmond Oval. A mere crowd of 1834 were on hand to witness some wizardry and pure magic from " The Battster "...

Methinks he may have been related to Ron Batt who was our Captain Coach from 1956-58 in Amateur League just prior to being admitted to the Seconds comp. in the SANFL from 1959-63. In a special note to Fatty Lumpkin, Des Batt wore the NO. 13 guernsey in his 11 League Games in '64.

Why might this be significant???...Well as Fatty may recall ( this is a test of memory!) "the one and only" TERRY DUKE wore the No. 13 jumper in his ONLY League appearance in Rd. 1, 1964. It appears the No. 13 guernsey may have been unlucky for Messrs. Duke & Batt in 1964.

However, the Number 13 Guernsey was worn by some champions of Oval Avenue in the following years... A bit of additional trivia from Des Batt's League debut, was that Lionel Bradley ( father of Craig) tasted victory in his debut game for Woodville. However, Lionel had previously played some League Games with Torrens in the 1950s, so as such it wasn't his first league game!

Finally, is there anybody out there perchance who knew ( or knows..) DES " The Battster " Batt??...A famous Pecker in more respects than he may know!!
Hey all, Will I get shot down for commenting on an old post lol... I played cricket for Woodville Rechabites in the early 90's and played in a C grade premiership with Dessy Batt.. He was 52 at the time I think and we defeated the undefeatables (Woody South). Also Lindsay Heaven was the wicket keeper in same team... Awesome to read this thread and cheers.

the glory days. Should ahve won it that year. I'm also trying to find the night grand final we won, it's on youtube somewhere, I've seen it, our only trophy! Was there at Footy Park for it.

the glory days. Should ahve won it that year. I'm also trying to find the night grand final we won, it's on youtube somewhere, I've seen it, our only trophy! Was there at Footy Park for it.

Doing it for Ralphy. Played well that day IIRC

yup. I never followed the Merger side.

Don't know how people did.

From memory, Torrens were financially stuffed and Woodville had a low support base but were financially pretty secure. I would have thought if Torrens couldn't tin rattle and stay afloat then they go under. I could be wrong but thought Woodville could have still survived on their own?

I remember Noel McCormack, I think he wore number 38.

I was pretty sure that in 1983 towards the end of the year Blighty put a ban on players going back to the club or something like that and he left for that reason.

Can anyone clarify that??
From memory he wanted to stop the drinking culture that was rife . ( Trevor Pierson;) ) and put a ban on drinking at the club.

Don't know how people did.

From memory, Torrens were financially stuffed and Woodville had a low support base but were financially pretty secure. I would have thought if Torrens couldn't tin rattle and stay afloat then they go under. I could be wrong but thought Woodville could have still survived on their own?
It was a bit of everything really. With the Crows coming in, there was extra pressure to survive. I understand why I guess, but even after the 93 cup, i didn't feel like it was for me. I said my farewells at our last game (against Torrens) at Adelaide Oval 1990 and moved on ( Jaka kicked 13 or something)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back