What do they do to the Sherrin to prepare it for match use?

Dalphonso

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2009
Alice Springs NT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Territory Thunder,Waratahs FC
Every footy is rock solid and pointy when you first pump it up.

The balls they use for pre-match and match seem lighter, less pointy and feel and are shaped like they have been kicked around for ages, yet they look brand new, not even a scratch

What's with that?
I don't know mate but I am sure some smart arse will have a comment putting s**t on your question.
I remember many years ago when I played ,I nearly broke my thumb every second week the balls were that tight and inflated.
Training was not a problem.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
What do you mean exactly by 'the balls they use for pre-match and match'? Are you talking about AFL match balls or what?

Just a guess, but probably repeated inflation and deflation to stretch and soften the leather.

Only thing I can think of that would soften the leather and round the ends without visibly damaging the ball.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
haha! yes that match balls they use

Not meaning to be a smartass but then how do you know that they 'seem lighter, less pointy and feel and are shaped like they have been kicked around for ages' if you're not an AFL player?

Barwick17

All Australian
Oct 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'll answer this sensibly -

AFL balls are made to the highest standard.

Those not made to highest standard end up in sports shops etc..

Like peanuts - high standard sold as peanuts, low standard sold in peanut m&m's or homebrand

Oct 16, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dimma's wife
Not meaning to be a smartass but then how do you know that they 'seem lighter, less pointy and feel and are shaped like they have been kicked around for ages' if you're not an AFL player?

because someone gave one to me

Like peanuts - high standard sold as peanuts, low standard sold in peanut m&m's or homebrand

true

but what i mean is the sherrins they use in the matches are the same as you would buy in the shop (deflated and rock hard and unshaped once you inflate it)

but what i mean is the sherrins they use in the matches are the same as you would buy in the shop (deflated and rock hard and unshaped once you inflate it)

No, they aren't. The ones in shops, even the $170 ones sold as "official match balls" are not actually official match balls. Those balls are made the same, but fail to meet the high standard for an actual match ball and are sold to the public instead. I'm fairly certain you need to be handing over somewhere in the region of $300 per ball to get an actual one, and given that they are supplied directly to the AFL it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they receive extra treatment at the Sherrin factory before making it to the ground.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm amazed that nobody seems to know this one given all the massive controversy about the match balls earlier in the year. Don't you remember Aker talking about massive variations in the balls being used, and other players making similar complaints, like Fevola, and then the media weighing into the issue.

What emerged was that there IS variation in the balls, but the AFL has an acceptable range of variation. This includes weight and size (width and length). They use the balls in the team warm ups before the game to try and stretch them in. They are not fundamentally different from the balls you can buy other than the fact that they probably check them more carefully for size/weight before match use. During the controversy, the AFL admitted that it had not been as careful about making sure all the balls that are used during the match are equally checked and pre-used before the game, but they probably have tightened up on it because of all the negative press and there hasn't been any further mention of it since the earlier press.

They use "Kangaroo" brand Sherrins in the AFL, not the other Sherrins. All the Sherrins models have different materials, sizes and weights. Kangaroo is the official match ball, and supposedly the best quality because the material is better (used to be Australian leather, but not anymore) and they are hand made - cost more too.

If you have a Kangaroo brand football, it will be close in weight to the AFL match balls, but might not be stretched in yet so it may feel wrong. Also, there is less careful sizing control with balls you buy in a shop, so you have to make an educated guess about it s shape and how much it will stretch. If you obsess about it, everything feels wrong though!

Oct 16, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dimma's wife
No, they aren't. The ones in shops, even the $170 ones sold as "official match balls" are not actually official match balls. Those balls are made the same, but fail to meet the high standard for an actual match ball and are sold to the public instead. I'm fairly certain you need to be handing over somewhere in the region of $300 per ball to get an actual one, and given that they are supplied directly to the AFL it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they receive extra treatment at the Sherrin factory before making it to the ground.

I don't mean they're the same quality of ball, I mean they're in the same shape and need to be kicked around and given a belting because it's pointy and the leather is tight

I know they're not the official match balls, but if you buy or are lucky enough to receive a deflated match ball with advertising and you pump it up, it is the same as one from the shop would be. I only get the match balls (got a few that were used or going to be used for training too) because I get given one as a present once every 2 years. when they're given to me inflated they're rounder, easier to handball and not as hard but if I get a new deflated one and inflate it, then it'll be hard and pointy.

the 'official match balls' are about $110 I think, but the actual official footy is $170-$200

and just on the quality of the sherrin comment by Ando, balls shave been popping more frequently than normal the past few years

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I agree that there is something different - particularly for a brand new ball. They even sound different at the game when they are kicked. I have often wondered if they are pumped up to a different pressure, of if the leather is a little softer - either better quality or thinner.

There is no doubt match balls used in the AFL are different.

Incorrect. All of the balls are made to certain specs, if they dont fit into those specs they dont even reach store level (unless the store specifically ask for blemished balls).

Back