ELECTION NIGHT: The OFFICIAL RESULTS THREAD

Remove this Banner Ad

I was looking forward to watching the late movie 'Idiocracy', apt for an election night, but this extended coverage crap is screwing up the schedule.

Edit: cool it's on ;-)

Ahh yes. The Liberals are a bogan party and the left is a bastion of intellectualism.

Last time I checked, one major party's heartland was blue collar and the other was wealthy inner-city suburbs. If you're going to buy into stereotypes you may as well make sure they stack up in some form.

Some of the biggest bogans in my home city are wealthy and live in the Western "Coastal" Suburbs. Born into privilage but don't have a whole heap between the ears.

As for those morons infront of Abbott. They are the future of the Liberal Party.:eek:

You'd think the Liberals won the election by Abbott and the crowds reaction, when infact all they managed was to suck equally with the ALP. Not classy at all.

'Idiocracy'
presidentcamacho1.jpg

" Look , i know shits EMOTIONAL right now.........."

Have to post my agreement.

Both parties pandering to Commercial media type focus groups and a simple minded lowest common denominator mentality.

Exactly right mate.

The two major parties now seem to be more and more interested in two things above all else - focus groups, and the whims of xenophobic and self-indulgent, self-centred bogan types, mostly found in outer suburbia.

The ALP are slipping further and further towards the gutter, and the Liberals are already well and truly there.

And by the way, to reiterate, this election campaign has seen a barrage of the most blatant and cynical fraud, by way of deliberate and repetitive lies in public statements and political advertising, that I can remember witnessing during a Federal election.

The vast majority of such fraudulent content, certainly the worst of it, has come from the Liberal Party, but the ALP haven't exactly been particularly high-minded either.

We want LEADERSHIP! People who actually see a higher purpose in government, and seek to appeal to the better angels of our nature. And I'm increasingly thinking that the only way we're going to get it is if the ALP and the Liberals both get a good hard whack at the polling booths for their lowest-common-denominator outlook.

Which is why their is a large correlation between incomes and voting preference in seats.

Fail.

The Liberal Party has an ability to get voters in lower socio economic areas to vote for a party that doesn't have their interests at heart. Boat people aren't a major “issue” in the real sense of the word, the Liberals turn it into an issue. Equally one only needs to look at their stance on private/ public school funding arrangements and their position on economic stimulus during the GFC. They are real issues that are in direct conflict with the needs and wants of those in lower socio economic areas.

Exactly right mate.

The two major parties now seem to be more and more interested in two things above all else - focus groups, and the whims of xenophobic and self-indulgent, self-centred bogan types, mostly found in outer suburbia.

The ALP are slipping further and further towards the gutter, and the Liberals are already well and truly there.

And by the way, to reiterate, this election campaign has seen a barrage of the most blatant and cynical fraud, by way of deliberate and repetitive lies in public statements and political advertising, that I can remember witnessing during a Federal election.

The vast majority of such fraudulent content, certainly the worst of it, has come from the Liberal Party, but the ALP haven't exactly been particularly high-minded either.

We want LEADERSHIP! People who actually see a higher purpose in government, and seek to appeal to the better angels of our nature. And I'm increasingly thinking that the only way we're going to get it is if the ALP and the Liberals both get a good hard whack at the polling booths for their lowest-common-denominator outlook.

Possibly the best post I have ever seen on Big Footy. I am still s**t scared of the Coalition winning though :cool:. At least the Greens will have a massive balance of power in the Senate and neither major party will be able to rush their garbage through both houses of parliament.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Liberal Party has an ability to get voters in lower socio economic areas to vote for a party that doesn't have their interests at heart. Boat people aren't a major “issue” in the real sense of the word, the Liberals turn it into an issue. Equally one only needs to look at their stance on private/ public school funding arrangements and their position on economic stimulus during the GFC. They are real issues that are in direct conflict with the needs and wants of those in lower socio economic areas.

Wa wa wa.

Have a cry sooky la la.

Evening all.

Enjoying the night? :D
Is Abbott seriously claiming a mandate?

In all honesty I was upbeat about a hung parliament till he had his speech. Now I am honestly a little down heartened, democracy in practice is a beautiful thing. It's unfortunate that political parties are allowed to exist at all.

He has no mandate, he hasn't won a majority in either house. We don't want Labor and we don't want Liberal and we aren't happy with the system and how it's being run. If they dare claim a clear mandate then will be lucky to last a term.

Possibly the best post I have ever seen on Big Footy.

Cheers mate. Much appreciated :thumbsu:

And I would also add that this situation, with the utter bankruptcy of the major parties and the way in which so many people can be manipulated so easily, is a dire indictment on the state of our education system.

To reiterate my comments on another thread before around this place, the overall level of political discourse in this country is nowhere near what it used to be, one big reason being because there is now, in my opinion, a huge proportion of people in Australia who simply don't have the ability to critically analyse things for themselves.

And a big reason for this sad situation, from what I can see, is the deterioration of humanities education at secondary and tertiary level these days, coupled with the fact that we have an educational environment now where the main objective is to get the qualification, get the piece of paper to guarantee future income, and the actual concept of learning, the prime purpose of education... isn't as much of a priority any more. This situation has to change.

On top of that issue, the compliant, sensationalist, superficial and unintelligent state of most of our news media is also a serious problem. There's a Christ of a lot of pap being produced out there right now, and most people seem to just eat it up with a spoon.

Not to mention that news and opinion seem to have effectively merged now, to the point where it's getting harder and harder to tell the difference. Honest unbiased reportage has been increasingly replaced by opinionated barracking, mostly to the right, with the vast majority of our newspapers being owned by Murdoch.

There was a time when news was news and opinion was opinion, and after that, for a while, the ABC could still at least be counted on to always provide such reliable news coverage, and a lot of quality investigative journalism.

That's certainly not true any more, and especially not since the independence of the ABC from partisan politics was hopelessly compromised with the appointment of political hacks to the board during the Howard years, a number of whom are still there.

There is a way back from the abyss, but I despair about the lack of political will out there to make it happen. Certainly as far as the two major parties are concerned.

And a big reason for this sad situation, from what I can see, is the deterioration of humanities education at secondary and tertiary level these days, coupled with the fact that we have an educational environment now where the main objective is to get the qualification, get the piece of paper to guarantee future income, and the actual concept of learning, the prime purpose of education... isn't as much of a priority any more. This situation has to change.

Absolutely. We need more graduates with degrees in gender studies and origami.

Only then as a nation we can move forward.

Cheers mate. Much appreciated :thumbsu:

And I would also add that this situation, with the utter bankruptcy of the major parties and the way in which so many people can be manipulated so easily, is a dire indictment on the state of our education system.

To reiterate my comments on another thread before around this place, the overall level of political discourse in this country is nowhere near what it used to be, one big reason being because there is now, in my opinion, a huge proportion of people in Australia who simply don't have the ability to critically analyse things for themselves.

What a load of utter s**t.

Education has moved to far away from the basics onto needless social issues. Parents are their to guide children on morals and social issues it is not the role of the state. The fact that so many who can choose private schools is proof of that.

I mean FFS, no one fails VCE anymore. Social engineering at its worse.

Wa wa wa.

Have a cry sooky la la.

Am I having a cry or just being a little honest? I am in a safe Liberal seat and voted for a quality sitting member.

The fact others vote for a party that doesn't have their needs at the heart of their policies, is of no direct concern to me. Ill wake up in a few weeks time and the world will be all but the same, irrelevant of who is in power at the time. The irrational and tribal nature of party politics is an unquestionable truth, it cuts through reality and allows an individual to construct whatever fictitious self supporting rational they want.

Possibly the best post I have ever seen on Big Footy. I am still s**t scared of the Coalition winning though :cool:. At least the Greens will have a massive balance of power in the Senate and neither major party will be able to rush their garbage through both houses of parliament.

It likely means if Labor win we will see far more garbage rushed through than usual, with green support.

You're describing the ALP too. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back