Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
BOLLENHAGEN%20Justin_draft_246_meetc.jpg

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86870/default.aspx
Height: 183cm
Weight: 75kg
DOB: 17/12/91
Recruited from: Reynella
Bio: Highly-skilled left footer who reads the play well. Strong overhead for his size with clean hands and good awareness in traffic. SA U18 representative in 2009. Tested soundly at Draft Camp with 3.01secs for 20m and 13.6 beep test.

Video:

http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/videoid/51017/justin+bollenhagen+highlights/default.aspx

I've never seen this bloke play so I can't comment as to whether he'll make it or not.....but I sat in front of a group of blokes from a player management agency at the draft. When Bollenhagen was nominated, one scoffed in disbelief, commenting to his colleagues that Bollenhagen "sleeps with the lights on". I pass this on for interests sake....hope the kid proves them wrong.

Overall I was very happy with the way the draft panned out, but god damn I wish we picked James Craig instead of this guy.

I hope he proves me wrong too!

I've never seen this bloke play so I can't comment as to whether he'll make it or not.....but I sat in front of a group of blokes from a player management agency at the draft. When Bollenhagen was nominated, one scoffed in disbelief, commenting to his colleagues that Bollenhagen "sleeps with the lights on". I pass this on for interests sake....hope the kid proves them wrong.

What is meant by he "sleeps with the lights on" ??

Wisbey had this guy ranked #10 overall in the 2009 draft. Going to interesting to see if he is a steal or not.

Yeah I liked the look of him. Nice left boot and seems to go really hard. I reckon he and Roberton will both be good value. With Fyfe, Houghton and Crighton this draft is looking better and better not even taking into account the mature age rookies.

He has done some good things in the intra and nab challenge match...
Think he is finding his way through the WAFL, not a bad debut!!

was really impressed with him v geelong and heard him mentioned as playing well in the WAFL, even though he missed a goal to win the game v the sharks.

his pace and attack on the ball will be very handy when he fills his frame out a bit. chance for a handful of games this year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do we manage this guy so he ends up like Mundy is now? (Preferrably a quicker development). IMO there is a lot of talent to work with here, it's just go to be carefully managed. Does he need more AFL game time in the near future? (Probably as a bench / flanking player)? Or does he need to go to the WAFL and spend more time playing midfield? (Where ultimately he is going to be the most useful)

I'd say keep him at WAFL level for half of next year, throw him in the guts and teach him to hunt the ball. If we develop is inside and defensive skills we could be looking at a very good midfielder here.

How do we manage this guy so he ends up like Mundy is now? (Preferrably a quicker development). IMO there is a lot of talent to work with here, it's just go to be carefully managed. Does he need more AFL game time in the near future? (Probably as a bench / flanking player)? Or does he need to go to the WAFL and spend more time playing midfield? (Where ultimately he is going to be the most useful)

David Wojinski clone

Pretty sure we as supporters all need to bag him for being a soft front running squib that should be traded back to Victoria every chance we get. Well that's what most people on BF did for Mundy and it seemed to work...

The club should play him as a midfielder at WAFL level, but as a HBF who rotates through the wing/midfield when he is playing for Fremantle. That way he'll be comfortable enough in his role at AFL level to contribute, but also developing his midfield abilities at the same the time.

Mundy was 22-23 before Harvey got a chance to play him in the middle. Up until then he never really had to challenge himself IMO. Bollenhagen may never reach Mundy's level, but you'd say he'll get as good an opportunity to make it as anyone could hope for with Harvey in charge.

Surprised me when we drafted him at pick 52. Seeing as Trent Dennis-Lane was training with us at the time, had recorded fantastic results at the WA screening session and was available at the time. But you can't fault our recruiters at the moment and with Lloyd and Mccarthy are at the development helm Freo's a good place to be if you are a young up and comer. From what i have seen of Bolly in the WAFL and the three games he played for us later in the year is that he doesn't get a lot of the ball, but he is damaging when he does and can score a few goals. The highlight for me was vs the Kanga's when he ran and shrugged a tackle a kicked the goal from a tight angle at 50m. With experience and some bulk he could do well.

I know he didn't get much of the ball in the games he played for us this year, but I agree that there was something about him when he did, I was a bit disappointed when he was dropped because I sort of wanted to see more!

I think he could be similar to Mundy as has been suggested, and the coaching team obviously sees something in him and have plans for him.

Bit of a gamble drafting him. You can see why he slid after being very highly rated. All the talent in the world but a bit of an attitude problem. Not as in acting out just throws the toys out of the pram if things don't go his way. More a case of maturity than anything else. Could be anything though, definitely worth a couple of years to see how he turn out.

Bit of a gamble drafting him. You can see why he slid after being very highly rated. All the talent in the world but a bit of an attitude problem. Not as in acting out just throws the toys out of the pram if things don't go his way. More a case of maturity than anything else. Could be anything though, definitely worth a couple of years to see how he turn out.

Huh??

Where'd this come from?

Not really. Great skills, great pace, dangerous around goals, good attack on the ball, rated a top 10 pick by Colin Wisbey... You don't get much safer than that at Pick 52 in a shallow draft.

The only player taken after him in the draft who has done more is Dennis-Lane, and Bollenhagen looks to have pretty good upside for a midfielder.

I can't really comment on the percieved attitude problem, but we wouldn't have drafted him if it was that much of an issue. Arrogance isn't neccesarily a bad trait in a footballer, so long as he has the determination to build up his body and play AFL footy, and put his body on the line for the team, that's fine by me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back