How many rookie selections for your club & needs

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
Just curious how many rookie selections each of the clubs will be having?

Hawks
Brisbane
Saints
Collingwood
Carlton
Melbourne
Geelong - 3
Essendon - 4
North - 2
WCE - 3
Freo
Port
Suns
Adelaide - 5
Swans - 7
Richmond
Bulldogs - 4

Also curious what type of players you think your clubs need to balance out their lists.

Barring another late-term delisting, and I believe Lonergan's still uncontracted, we've got 1 PSD pick to take & (I think) 3 rookies, possibly 4.
Jay Neagle is reasonably likely to be rookied.

Needs? A ruckman. Probably PSD #3.
Other than that, we're reasonably balanced from last year to this.

5 - I imagine a best available approach with our last (live) pick earmarked for Ian Callinan. Wouldn't mind seeing a small forward (in excess of Callinan) and some more speculative mids. NSW schoolarship holder Sam Martyn will be rookied with our last pick. I know you'll like that Snoop.

3 picks - likely to go tall with at least 2 of them. Likely to look closely at Walker, Chalwell, Hamp and Gordon I would think.

Personally I think one of our picks may go to a small forward. With Stokes probably a year away from being delisted we have a possible position to fill there as at the moment we really don't have anyone else other than perhaps Motlop who can play that role. Varcoe now is being played further up the ground, and with Ablett leaving, is likely to be given even more time in the middle.

5 - I imagine a best available approach with our last (live) pick earmarked for Ian Callinan. Wouldn't mind seeing a small forward (in excess of Callinan) and some more speculative mids. NSW schoolarship holder Sam Martyn will be rookied with our last pick. I know you'll like that Snoop.

My memory may be wrong, but I think Sam Martyn is in addition to our five rookies. NSW Scholarship kids are bonuses.

How many players can clubs have on the rookie list now ??? (I think it was just increased due to the new teams coming in). And do teams get an extra spot if they don't have anyone on the Veterans list ???

How many players can clubs have on the rookie list now ??? (I think it was just increased due to the new teams coming in). And do teams get an extra spot if they don't have anyone on the Veterans list ???

I believe they can have six, by default (increased from four). Then, if you are not filling both spots on the veteran's list you get an extra one or two vacancies from there. Finally, you can have as many NSW Scholarship kids, or international rookies from anywhere other than Ireland, as you like and they don't count to the maximum number (but obviously do to the salary cap).

2 picks for North.

I'd like one of the VFL listed mids for one pick, and ideally, I would like a project key forward with the other pick, but the rookie draft has been a desert for key forwards over the last few years when you take Podsiadly out of the equation.

Sewell would be nice, and I have a lot of time for Stephen Clifton.

I believe they can have six, by default (increased from four). Then, if you are not filling both spots on the veteran's list you get an extra one or two vacancies from there. Finally, you can have as many NSW Scholarship kids, or international rookies from anywhere other than Ireland, as you like and they don't count to the maximum number (but obviously do to the salary cap).

Are you sure it's only 6 + extra's for no veterans, as that is what Carlton had last year (Cachia, Casboult, Dare, Donaldson, Ellard, Garlett, Tuohy and White with Labi an international and some NSW scholarship kids) and I thought it was further increased ??? I could very well be misunderstood ........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4 slots left open out of 7, but one has already been committed to our basketballer Bathie, so we have three picks.

Clearly, with our tall stocks ageing, and having drafted 4 mids in ND last year and 4 again this year, the focus has to be talls. Hopefully we can jag a couple of good talls in the rookie draft like last year.

Key defenders mainly are our need, so Chalwell and Gordon would be in the frame, but talls more generally regardless of position, so I'd like to see Josh Walker on our rookie list also.

Some outside run would be nice if Andreoli's on the board when our pick comes around, but primarily we need talls.

Three to six for the Lions. We've got three rookies remaining on the list and three delisted players still training with us (McCauley, McCullough, Proud) who may be moved to the rookie list. That'd leave us with zero or one normal slots, and two or three Qld rookie slots free if all are moved on to the rookie list (depending whether McCauley still counts as a Qld rookie), or 3 Qld slots and 3 other slots if none are moved.

Saints have four picks + Jackson Ferguson as our NSW scholarship rookie.

I think I heard we will re-rookie Eddy if no one else takes him and we have been linked to Neagle and Johnstone throughout the draft, so we may take them as mature agers, although unlikely seeing as we already got Polo and Gamble.

Otherwise, I'd say we will defiently pick up a ruckman, as we lost 3 in Pattison, King and McGrath. Gardiner is very injury prone as well. Not sure if it will be a project ruckman or ready made one in the mould of Giles.

Other than that I'd assume we'll take a few talls, because we picked up 4 quick smalls in the main draft.

With maybe only 4 ruckman taken last night and a real limit on quality talls, we should see plenty taken in rookie slots...

Who are the guys we can expect to see on the board come December 7th?

I know each club has some guys who might be re-rookied (Eg Neagle) but who is out there that is a legitimate shot...

Leif Cope springs to mind, Jonathan Giles is a mature age prospect, James Orr a project, Ben Brown is a strong player but under injury concern, Josh Jenkins bobbed up here and there with his Screening results.

Should be an interesting Rookie Draft

Are you sure it's only 6 + extra's for no veterans, as that is what Carlton had last year (Cachia, Casboult, Dare, Donaldson, Ellard, Garlett, Tuohy and White with Labi an international and some NSW scholarship kids) and I thought it was further increased ??? I could very well be misunderstood ........

I'm no expert, I'm just going by the Crows to arrive at the number six. By my count, we currently have two players on our rookie list - Matthew Wright and Chris Schmidt. We only have one player on our veteran's list (Michael Doughty). We have committed to taking a NSW Scholarship player (Sam Martyn). We have five other selections. Working that backwards, it's six players.

Last year we had Ricky Henderson, Matthew Jaensch, Luke Thompson, Matthew Wright, Chris Schmidt and Brian Donnelly as our rookie-listed players, and both veteran's list positions full. Again, that works out to six players.

That's my point of reference :eek: Unless I'm making some mistake, I'm pretty sure it's right.

It's 8 minus any outside veterans, plus up to 3 outside the normal rookie list. These include:
  • NSW/ACT Scholarship holders
  • International Scholarship holders (excludes Ireland)
  • NSW & QLD zone rookie selections (GC/Brisbane/Sydney only)

There may be one or two other player rules allowing "additional" rookies outside the normal quota, but I've covered the main ones.

Port have zero Pre-Season Draft picks (At this state)

We have 5 Rookie picks, Daniel Bass (an international rookie) and Daniel Webb already on it

Club lists pre National Draft

I'd like to see Port get a bit of everything, maybe go a bit tall as we went midfield types in the draft. An experienced lower league ruckman with genuine size would be good, plus an experienced lower league midfielder, tall KPP's with the rest.

One psd selection

Rhys Cooyou or Warwick Andreolli

Three rookie picks

Last pick being Tim Houlihan

We need quick small foward's two would be nice.

Project player like:
Isiah Stevens would be nice though he will take time to develop.

Love Menagola and Chalwell also, Kiefer Yu, Kelvin Lawrence, Rhett Mason, Chris Luff, Devin McFarlane

4 for the Hawks - although I suspect the 4th one will be reserved for Travis Tuck if he proves he is worthy of a spot on the Hawks list. A small forward may well be our first priority (I know a lot of the Hawks posters are keen on Rankine) - after that, who knows.

Cam Bruce in PSD

Think we need to take two project players with our rookie picks, Our main list is fairly even and there are a lot of guys banging on the door for spots that we can afford to take a couple of risks with rookies. Outside of Harper, C Delaney & Mabon, everyone on our main list is a decent chance to play games this year and from the rookie list L Delaney & White are in their 3rd year and will be pushing for games.

Definitely take a project KPF and maybe an athletic utility tall with the other.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back