Strange player number behaviour

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe Ryan Turnbull won two premiership for West Coast in number 50.

Turnbull didn't play in 1992, only 1994. Paul Harding held down the ruck all day in 1992.

I'm pretty sure Mal Brown played a game in the WAFL wearing #100.

There was some point to it, but like most of Mal's thoughts, only important in his own mind.

He had to get a number that was close to his weight!

Here's some more I found:

Carlton Games Record Holders:

No.46: John Warden
Number of Games in that Guernsey: 9
Number of wearers 7*

No.47: Peter Francis
Number of Games in that Guernsey: 47
Number of wearers 9

No.48: Jordan Doering
Number of Games in that Guernsey: 18
Number of wearers 5

No.49: Andy Lukimitis
Number of Games in that Guernsey: 11
Number of wearers 4

No.50: John O’Connell
Number of Games in that Guernsey: 11
Number of wearers 3

No.51: Dean Strauch
Number of Games in that Guernsey: 2
Number of wearers 2

No.52: Heath Culpitt
Number of Games in that Guernsey: 6
Number of wearers 2

No.53: Simon Minton-Connell
Number of Games in that Guernsey: 1
Number of wearers 1

No.54: Wayne Harmes
Number of wearers 1

No.55: Mark Buckley
Number of Games in that Guernsey: 4
Number of wearers 3

No.56: Ang Christou
Number of wearers 1

* Includes David Ellard

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/4311/Default.aspx?newsId=59228

One from left field: did former Melbourne player John Howat, who wore #51 in red and blue, also wear #51 at Richmond when he followed Swooper Northey in the early 90s?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 1986 Jimmy Wynd (Fitzroy) wore #58 and was then promoted #41 during the season (the legendary Mark "Smirky" Dwyer took the #58). In 1987 he was promoted again to #30 and then took his more familiar #8 from 1989 onwards.

Roger.

When Nathan Burke retired in 2003, he presented Xavier Clarke with the #3, which Clarke wore in the remaining 3 games that year instead of his usual #20

The same thing happened with Stewart Loewe and Justin Koschitzke, from #24 to #23, but I cant yet confirm whether that was a mid-season thing

Edit*- No, Koschitzke was injured from Round 4, 2002 to Round 2, 2003. During this time the change was made

I wonder if any other Essendon supporters can remember Andrew Welsh being listed in almost every publication for 2002 as #42, but wearing #41 in the 15 AFL games he played. Simon O'Keefe (young ruckman at the time) was listed as #41 for that year, but then as #42 for 2003.

Can anyone else remember this or provide a reason for it? Just one of those things i never quite worked out...

Most games in the numbers 48 and onwards? Are there any records of this? I know Rupert Betheras played 38 in the number 49, and Mal Michael a fair whack (97-00) in 48.

Most games in the numbers 48 and onwards? Are there any records of this? I know Rupert Betheras played 38 in the number 49, and Mal Michael a fair whack (97-00) in 48.

Magic McLean played 90 odd games for Footscray in 51, but Shaun Rehn holds the record.

His 100 plus games at both Adelaide and Hawthorn were all played wearing number 52.

It was 85, and I don't think replacement guernseys count in this thread.

Course they do.

That's the whole idea of 'strange player number behaviour' :D

I mean, why would the spare guernseys have #85 on them for starters?

I love cameos in ridiculously high numbers.

Daniel Motlop's appearance in #53 was mentioned earlier in this thread, but surely the greatest ever occurance of this was Nicky Winmar appearing in #60 during the 1991 Elimination final :D

Bumping this thread after thinking about Jarryd Blair's position. He's just won a premiership in a fairly undesirable number, and a few decent numbers are becoming available including some worn by some highly regarded teammates (eg O'Bree and Lockyer). The lure of a change must be pretty strong.

It got me thinking - who was the last premiership player to change his number?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back