Future World Cup Hosts - 2026, 2030, 2034 etc. Where does Australia fit in?

Remove this Banner Ad

McCrann

Premiership Player
Nov 1, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ok, so let's look at who the future FIFA World Cup hosts are, and where the hosting is likely to go beyond 2022.

What do people think - when is Australia realistically a chance to host the FIFA World Cup again? Personally, I think we could be talking 2050s or so (Unless for some reason Qatar is stripped of hosting duties - not impossible if there is a war with Iran in the Persian Gulf as Qatar would very likely be significantly collaterally damaged - which might lead to 2022 being held elsewhere in Asia, or USA/Mexico, and perhaps 2026 being Asia if 2022 ends up on other continent due to political instability in the Persian Gulf. Not impossible in my view).

2014 - Brazil
2018 - Russia
2022 - Qatar
2026 - North America - USA
2030 - South America - Argentina/Uruguay (100th Anniversary of first World Cup)
2034 - Europe - Italy (100th Anniversary of first European World Cup) or England
2038 - Asia - China
2042 - Africa - Egypt?
2046 - Europe - England or Spain or Italy?
2050 - North America - Mexico?
2054 - South America - Brazil or Columbia?
2058 - Europe - England or Spain or Italy
2062 - Asia - Australia?

What do others think? Could be awhile in my estimation. By then I think we'd be right to host the World Cup without any problems - and there also shouldn't be any problems with other sporting codes as with a population of 40 million+ we'd be able to handle the infrastructure needs without the spending being as massive a "white elephant" as it would have been this time around.

McCrann FIFA are going to revert back to the old rules now for World Cup hosting - no confederation may host two successive tournaments - the 2 previous federations being ineligible applied to 2018-2022 bids only because both CAF and CONEMBOL were guaranteed a World Cup each in 2010/2014 and thus shouldn't have the right to bid for the next 2.

This is how I see future World Cups going:

2026: Either England (if they can get over FIFA screwing them) or Spain.
2030; Argentina/Uruguay centenenary
2034: Whoever lost out in the 2026 race (England or Spain)
2038: Australia
2042: Turkey
2046: Egypt
2050: Italy
2054: United States
2058: France
2062: China

This is all assuming that Qatar are not stripped of 2022 hosting rights which remains a strong possibility if there is a revolt at FIFA or Sepp Blatter gets rid of them after getting reelected and also gets rid of Bin Hammam.

If Qatar get the cup stripped off them (which did happen with Columbia, but for very different reasons), who would you think could step in (possibly at the last minute) to fill the breach ?, could that be a way for England to get the World Cup ?, considering that they've got everything built to host an event as such short notice.

Qatar wont be stripped,there is a very compelling reason why qatar was picked that most seem to have missed

Yep - but those people have been screwed over before by the West and it certainly wouldn't surprise them to see themselves screwed over again. Most likely it would be regarded as Asia's "World Cup" so hosting rights would go to Australia, Korea, Japan or perhaps China.

Interestingly, this could occur around the time of the 2015 Asian Cup - held?

Going on FIFA's recent track record I predict the next world cups to be:

2026: Vatican City
2030; Madagascar
2034: The lost city of Atlantis
2038: Fiji
2042: Narnia
2046: Monaco
2050: Middle Earth
2054: Bali
2058: Maldives
2062: Cuba

McCrann FIFA are going to revert back to the old rules now for World Cup hosting - no confederation may host two successive tournaments - the 2 previous federations being ineligible applied to 2018-2022 bids only because both CAF and CONEMBOL were guaranteed a World Cup each in 2010/2014 and thus shouldn't have the right to bid for the next 2.

This is all assuming that Qatar are not stripped of 2022 hosting rights which remains a strong possibility if there is a revolt at FIFA or Sepp Blatter gets rid of them after getting reelected and also gets rid of Bin Hammam.

Only a soccer die hard or someone who believes in fairy tales would have Australia hosting a WC before China.

Going on FIFA's recent track record I predict the next world cups to be:

2026: Vatican City
2030; Madagascar
2034: The lost city of Atlantis
2038: Fiji
2042: Narnia
2046: Monaco
2050: Middle Earth
2054: Bali
2058: Maldives
2062: Cuba

you forgot
Neptune
Uranis
Roger Smiths home planet

Two huge points....Continental Rotation technically doesn't exist anymore. FIFA can do whatever they want. They, in much the same way as the AFL is doing with GC and GWS, are trying to grow their game in new areas. China is all but guaranteed the 2030 World Cup, and if they want to, FIFA will bend-over backwards and even give them 2026. It doesn't matter that Asia had it in 2022.

China and India, home to 1/3 of humanity, but insignificant in the grand scheme of soccer. If soccer wants to be a global game, which they do, they will target these two countries. Australia will have to wait as Asia's 3rd in line behind these two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two huge points....Continental Rotation technically doesn't exist anymore. FIFA can do whatever they want. They, in much the same way as the AFL is doing with GC and GWS, are trying to grow their game in new areas. China is all but guaranteed the 2030 World Cup, and if they want to, FIFA will bend-over backwards and even give them 2026. It doesn't matter that Asia had it in 2022.

China and India, home to 1/3 of humanity, but insignificant in the grand scheme of soccer. If soccer wants to be a global game, which they do, they will target these two countries. Australia will have to wait as Asia's 3rd in line behind these two.

FIFA will never take a World Cup to India simply because of the fact that India will never have a competitive football team (Qatar's team is competitive, they have beaten China before and also South Korea if my memory serves me right). India would lose all 3 World Cup fixtures by at least 8 goals. Plus the fact that India just cannot host major events, living standards are poor and they don't have enough money to bribe FIFA. India is never going to happen.

With regards to China, see above problems. Whilst China has a huge economy, it also has 1.3 billion residents. Pollution, living standards all need to improve before FIFA will consider a World Cup there. Again, they don't have enough spare cash sitting around like Qatar do to bribe FIFA. I'd estimate a World Cup in China is at least 30-40 years away MINIMUM. India will never happen.

Sorry WorldCup2022OZ, but a lot of your assumptions are so far off base to be laughable. China and India arguably already have the two largest middle-class populations in the World, have oodles of billionaries and rising, have ever increasingly standards of living albeit with a large disparity between the rich and the poor. They're both be in the top 3 largest economies within the decade. If either of these countries truly want the World Cup, they will get it first time they bid. China are probably annoyed that Qatar got it as they would have been shoo-ins for 2026 if they bid, now they'll most likely get 2030 unless FIFA decide to give them 2026 anyway.

India's a bit further down the track, and football has to become more popular but there too are just so many carrots and opportunities for football and associated sponsors etc that they'll have to be compelling bids to go against them should they bid for a World Cup beyond 2034. Who in their right mind would have thought Qatar would get the 2022 World Cup 10 years ago? 5 years ago? 2 years ago? One year ago?

FIFA will follow the money that China and India offer. China will definitely and India quite likely will get a World Cup before we do.

i read somewhere recentl;y that Qatar are working on improving their national team by recruiting overseas. They are looking for kids with talent (I believe below teenagers) and then arranging for their families to move to Qatar with suitable jobs provided for the parents- in due course, the family and kid are naturalised, and presto, you have a Qatari who was actually born in Nigeria....or wherever...

Will be interesting to see how their team develops.

i read somewhere recentl;y that Qatar are working on improving their national team by recruiting overseas. They are looking for kids with talent (I believe below teenagers) and then arranging for their families to move to Qatar with suitable jobs provided for the parents- in due course, the family and kid are naturalised, and presto, you have a Qatari who was actually born in Nigeria....or wherever...

Will be interesting to see how their team develops.

Didn't stop them in the past with south american men...and a few africans to boot.

All China have to do is call in the debt the US owes them and they'll be right.

I hope Qatar get flogged. I relly do. Would make this experience somewhat bittersweet.

FIFA will never take a World Cup to India simply because of the fact that India will never have a competitive football team (Qatar's team is competitive, they have beaten China before and also South Korea if my memory serves me right). India would lose all 3 World Cup fixtures by at least 8 goals. Plus the fact that India just cannot host major events, living standards are poor and they don't have enough money to bribe FIFA. India is never going to happen.

With regards to China, see above problems. Whilst China has a huge economy, it also has 1.3 billion residents. Pollution, living standards all need to improve before FIFA will consider a World Cup there. Again, they don't have enough spare cash sitting around like Qatar do to bribe FIFA. I'd estimate a World Cup in China is at least 30-40 years away MINIMUM. India will never happen.

India would buy players from Sth America and naturalise them (sounds familiar).
Leading up to the WC decision all we heard was how if Australia was awarded the WC it would turbo-charge the game in Asia, India & China had hundreds of million of middle class citizens, but now after the failed Australian bid India & China are too poor. Change your username to Hypocrite, douchebag.

India would buy players from Sth America and naturalise them (sounds familiar).
Leading up to the WC decision all we heard was how if Australia was awarded the WC it would turbo-charge the game in Asia, India & China had hundreds of million of middle class citizens, but now after the failed Australian bid India & China are too poor. Change your username to Hypocrite, douchebag.

Oh dear, looks like someone has been on the valium. When Lowy & Co were referring to the middle classes in India & China they were talking about TV rights vales and the importance of Asian middle classes, not development of the game itself you incompetent fool :)

I don't know if you have any sort of economic understanding but wealth of a country is measured by GDP. India is 147th & Qatar is 3rd: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita
And if you knew the rules regarding naturalised players you would also have known that you now must live and play football in your nominated country for a minimum of 5 years to become eligible for that nation. A South American can tolerate a muslim society living in opulent Qatar; absolutely no chance of any decent South American player or even African player putting up with India's appallingly poor living standards for 5 years and playing in the Indian Football League which is and will always be a joke. They must do the 2 otherwise they cannot play for India, pure plain and simple.

Granted, China's not as bad as India but they are both miles off hosting a World Cup. They are not even considering 2026 (before the Qatar decision) - http://forum.globaltimes.cn/forum/showthread.php?t=22463. You know absolutely nothing about football or FIFA if you think that India will host a World Cup in the next 100 years or even ever. China's a possibility within the next 50 years once it cleans up all of its match fixing scandals and human rights / political issues.

FIFA tolerated Qatar because of the enormous bribes, offers of natural resources at knock down prices (Platini forced to vote by Sarkozy because France signed a 1 billion dollar natural gas contract at knock down prices) and the obscene luxury/opulence of Qatar the country. China and/or India can offer none of the above, they are struggling to look after their populations and they can't even run events like the Commonwealth Games (India) properly. Beijing 2008 was hardly a raging success either.

Now, perhaps you would best serve this board by changing your name to delusional_moron

2026 - USA
2030 - England (wont go to Americas 2 times in a row - even for 100th anniversary)
2034 - China (FIFA won't pass up China)
2038 - Argentina/Uruguay (after missing out the previous 2 bids, 3rd time lucky - like Athens 04?)
2042 - Spain
2046 - Eygpt
2050 - Mexico
2054 - Italy
2058 - New Zealand (FIFA will eventually want to reach the final conferation on Earth that so far hasn't hosted a world cup - Australia would get it if we go back to the OFC)
2062 - France or Netherlands/Belgium/Luxembourg
2066 - USA
2070 - India

Oh dear, looks like someone has been on the valium. When Lowy & Co were referring to the middle classes in India & China they were talking about TV rights vales and the importance of Asian middle classes, not development of the game itself you incompetent fool :)

I don't know if you have any sort of economic understanding but wealth of a country is measured by GDP. India is 147th & Qatar is 3rd: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita
And if you knew the rules regarding naturalised players you would also have known that you now must live and play football in your nominated country for a minimum of 5 years to become eligible for that nation. A South American can tolerate a muslim society living in opulent Qatar; absolutely no chance of any decent South American player or even African player putting up with India's appallingly poor living standards for 5 years and playing in the Indian Football League which is and will always be a joke. They must do the 2 otherwise they cannot play for India, pure plain and simple.

Granted, China's not as bad as India but they are both miles off hosting a World Cup. They are not even considering 2026 (before the Qatar decision) - http://forum.globaltimes.cn/forum/showthread.php?t=22463. You know absolutely nothing about football or FIFA if you think that India will host a World Cup in the next 100 years or even ever. China's a possibility within the next 50 years once it cleans up all of its match fixing scandals and human rights / political issues.

FIFA tolerated Qatar because of the enormous bribes, offers of natural resources at knock down prices (Platini forced to vote by Sarkozy because France signed a 1 billion dollar natural gas contract at knock down prices) and the obscene luxury/opulence of Qatar the country. China and/or India can offer none of the above, they are struggling to look after their populations and they can't even run events like the Commonwealth Games (India) properly. Beijing 2008 was hardly a raging success either.

Now, perhaps you would best serve this board by changing your name to delusional_moron

Not an expert but much smarter soccerina like yourself. Using your fantastic link.

population * GDP = total wealth of population

India = 1.2 billion * 1000 = 1200 billion
Qatar= 1.3 million * 100000 = 130 billion

Suprise, suprise, the people of India have more wealth overall than those of Qatar.

India will host before Australia, you know it, Lowy knows, the FFA know it. China only a possibility in the next 50 years you say, China only have to say they are interested for FIFA to go running and get down on their knees.

When Australia lost the bid, hope you weren't too harsh on your boyfriend, you sad delusional muppet.

Not an expert but much smarter soccerina like yourself. Using your fantastic link.

population * GDP = total wealth of population

India = 1.2 billion * 1000 = 1200 billion
Qatar= 1.3 million * 100000 = 130 billion

Suprise, suprise, the people of India have more wealth overall than those of Qatar.

India will host before Australia, you know it, Lowy knows, the FFA know it. China only a possibility in the next 50 years you say, China only have to say they are interested for FIFA to go running and get down on their knees.

When Australia lost the bid, hope you weren't too harsh on your boyfriend, you sad delusional muppet.

You don't paint a good picture for all of the Aussie Ruleinas on here with your uninformed rubbish.

I'll give you a break because you are most likely studying year 7 economics at the moment. At least I hope you are because that's the only explanation for your moronic economic analysis above. Wealth of a country is measured in GDP per capita, not total wealth. Using your delusional logic a family that earns $300,000 per year but has 6 dependent children is more wealthy then a family that earns $150,000 per year but has one dependent child. Clearly, the latter out of those two examples is the more wealthy, despite earning less income overall.

India will never happen as a World Cup.
1. Country is far too poor - they are struggling to keep up with running the country properly. No money left for bribes
2. No natural resources to offer FIFA delegates in return for votes. Qatar has vast resources of natural gas, FIFA delegates find it hard to not vote for them when their countries are offered natural gas at knock down prices in return for a vote. India has no natural resources to offer.
3. FIFA's main income earner is from TV rights, not ticket sales. You do not need a World Cup in India to take advantage of TV rights in India's middle class. FIFA will do very well out of Indian TV rights for World Cup 2022 even if Qatar are stripped of their hosting rights and it is awarded to another nation (it would be one of Australia, S Korea or Japan). Qatar and the rest of Asia are in a suitable timezone to exploit Indian TV rights.
4. India will never have a football team that is competitive. They lost 6-0 to Qatar, that shows what plight they are in. And before you make wild delusional claims about India importing South American players you are forgetting that any South American that wants to represent India must play football in India and live their for a minimum of 5 years before being eligible to play for them. South Americans aren't a big fan of the Qatar lifestyle but they can put up with it thanks to the huge $$$$$ on offer and the outrageously opulent lifestyle offered to them. Try finding a South American that's going to put up living 5 years in India with terrible living conditions and a football league that is so poor that our A League teams would beat their club teams by 10 goals plus. No decent South American player will put up with that when they can live in wealth & comfort in Saudi Arabia/Kuwait/ any wealthy nation in the Middle East. FIFA will not have a country that hosts a World Cup losing all three games by 8-10 goals or so. Qatar, whilst not in Asia's eltie, are at least competitive, having beaten South Korea before in a competitive match and having pinched a draw with us once. They probably wouldn't qualify for the second round but they wouldn't be a disgrace like India would be and will always be.

India's never hosting a World Cup, both you and your boyfriend Demetriou know it. China's at least 30-40 years away minimum and more then likely 50 years away.

P.S Good luck with your Year 7 economics test - it might be a good idea to get some study in, you clearly have no economic sense.

You don't paint a good picture for all of the Aussie Ruleinas on here with your uninformed rubbish.

I'll give you a break because you are most likely studying year 7 economics at the moment. At least I hope you are because that's the only explanation for your moronic economic analysis above. Wealth of a country is measured in GDP per capita, not total wealth. Using your delusional logic a family that earns $300,000 per year but has 6 dependent children is more wealthy then a family that earns $150,000 per year but has one dependent child. Clearly, the latter out of those two examples is the more wealthy, despite earning less income overall.
Wealth of a country is measured in total wealth (GDP), wealth of the people is measured in GDP per capita. And I didn't even do Yr 7 economics. The 1.3 million most wealthiest Indians would probably have a higher income than the 1.3 million people of Qatar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back