tamba

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2007
In my MAN Cave
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
South Cairns Cutters
From what I understand of the points rule, Willie will get points deducted being a long term player with a club, should become a 4 pointer

Oct 10, 2006
Dreamland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Altona Vikings
Not familiar with AFL Cairns rules and regulations, can you explain the Willie situation for me Tamba.

Good to see the 2011 thread btw! :thumbsu:

JackBlack

Rookie
Jan 6, 2011
Cairns
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Flint Tropics
This is great having this forum to be able to chat about the cairns footy. I have turned into a bit of a hawks supporter over the last couple of years and had no idea you could chat about it online. So its good to be on board.
So any idea who looks good for this season with recruiting and so forth. It is a bit early I know.

tamba

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2007
In my MAN Cave
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
South Cairns Cutters
This is great having this forum to be able to chat about the cairns footy. I have turned into a bit of a hawks supporter over the last couple of years and had no idea you could chat about it online. So its good to be on board.
So any idea who looks good for this season with recruiting and so forth. It is a bit early I know.

Welcome aboard,
but remember
only

.5% :eek::eek:
of the info here is real

LOL :D:D:D

teamwork

Debutant
Jan 12, 2011
Cairns
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Manunda Hawks, Arsenal
From what I understand of the points rule, Willie will get points deducted being a long term player with a club, should become a 4 pointer

G'day all. I'm new to this so be gentle! haha

Re Willie, not so. You need to be playing for 5 consecutive years to be eligible for long term status. Willie doesn't qualify so he is an 8 point recruit. But it doesn't matter because he is not going anywhere.

tamba

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2007
In my MAN Cave
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
South Cairns Cutters
G'day all. I'm new to this so be gentle! haha

Re Willie, not so. You need to be playing for 5 consecutive years to be eligible for long term status. Willie doesn't qualify so he is an 8 point recruit. But it doesn't matter because he is not going anywhere.

It use to be 3 years and if he is going to Centrals ? then it would be his third club in AFL Cairns also as a past winner of the Crathern Medal, in my opinion he has done enough long service so deserves the reduction in points and should come down to 2 points but that is my opinion only,

I see by today's fish wrapper Robbie Douglas has signed with the Hawks,

My apologies Centreman for doubting you previously :eek:, my mail was wrong & I''ll have a chat with the Penguin ;)

JackBlack

Rookie
Jan 6, 2011
Cairns
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Flint Tropics
teamwork, you sound pretty confident he is staying. That will be a blow for Centrals if all the rumours are true about their playing list.

If the rule is 5 consecutive years then AFL Cairns need to update their website

teamwork

Debutant
Jan 12, 2011
Cairns
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Manunda Hawks, Arsenal
teamwork, you sound pretty confident he is staying. That will be a blow for Centrals if all the rumours are true about their playing list.

If the rule is 5 consecutive years then AFL Cairns need to update their website

Yeah that's the ruling I'm sure of it. He was spoken to last night, and has to change a few things but Hawks have decided to keep him.
Centrals had a fair crack at a number of Hawks but failed in all attempts.

watsons oval

Senior List
Feb 1, 2010
Cairns
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Cairns Tigers, Liverpool
Yeah that's the ruling I'm sure of it. He was spoken to last night, and has to change a few things but Hawks have decided to keep him.
Yeah I heard that Lane tried to recruit a few of his ex-teammates but at least 3 of em used the threat of defection to Trinity to increase their 'incentives' at Hawks.:eek:

tamba

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2007
In my MAN Cave
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
South Cairns Cutters
What's the money like in AFL Cairns?

depends on what you think you can hold a club ransom too, some have big egos and will hold out. Where others do it for the love of the game or minimum fees ie fuel / phone card etc.

Just spent a week in Adelaide on holidays & had interviews with two 19yr old players for my club lined up for me , they wanted $250 per game & they only play 3rd division.

Oct 10, 2006
Dreamland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Altona Vikings
depends on what you think you can hold a club ransom too, some have big egos and will hold out. Where others do it for the love of the game or minimum fees ie fuel / phone card etc.

Just spent a week in Adelaide on holidays & had interviews with two 19yr old players for my club lined up for me , they wanted $250 per game & they only play 3rd division.

Really, $250 for Div 3?

I played AFLQ state League for Mount Gravatt 2006-2007 then Div 2 with Surfers in 2008. Haven't played for 2 years, some blokes just love coin.

JackBlack

Rookie
Jan 6, 2011
Cairns
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Flint Tropics

Tyson Lane must have a bit of work ahead of him if he can't get his "mates" to join him.

Collo_Cairns

Debutant
Feb 9, 2010
Cairns
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Tamba old friend, heard around the traps a bloke called Chris Adams???? iswas coaching, a Victorian lad? Also that numbers and ability at the first training was excellent... Great news big fella, new faces at the club and if you didn't recruit those S.A chumps then hats off, the club is on track. What are your predictions for the Cutters this season season? Finals?

Watsons, things are up and about down at Tigerland, who is the assistant or bench coach that Richter has signed? Heard a few players have signed up, not sure of the ability but I couldn't care less, as long as they are good blokes then the club is moving forward. Also I see on the website that the Tigers have a Netball side that compete in the local comp, a leaf out of the successful Saints approach. Would be great to see all clubs have a aligned Netball club, in the end it just increases interest in both sports. Great work Tigers!

How are other clubs pre seasons looking? Numbers wise, new faces, and how long has training been going?

On these money chasing I understand that the mighty dollar changes some players minds but to pay someone to come up for footy is just crazy. I reckon the $800 a game for a twos footballer from down south could be spent better locally. I would rather a local lad who will stay around than any wannabe champion who plays div 3 in Victoria. Maybe the points system isn't such a great thing, look after the blokes who are up here with the cash that is poured in by local businesses. The club or someone at it obviously wouldn't want to see their hard earned spent on some overrated bloke who is up here to party off the clubs wage. Then again, it is the clubs responsibility to recruit the right players. Tought call.....

Oct 10, 2006
Dreamland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Altona Vikings
Tamba old friend, heard around the traps a bloke called Chris Adams???? iswas coaching, a Victorian lad? Also that numbers and ability at the first training was excellent... Great news big fella, new faces at the club and if you didn't recruit those S.A chumps then hats off, the club is on track. What are your predictions for the Cutters this season season? Finals?

Watsons, things are up and about down at Tigerland, who is the assistant or bench coach that Richter has signed? Heard a few players have signed up, not sure of the ability but I couldn't care less, as long as they are good blokes then the club is moving forward. Also I see on the website that the Tigers have a Netball side that compete in the local comp, a leaf out of the successful Saints approach. Would be great to see all clubs have a aligned Netball club, in the end it just increases interest in both sports. Great work Tigers!

How are other clubs pre seasons looking? Numbers wise, new faces, and how long has training been going?

On these money chasing I understand that the mighty dollar changes some players minds but to pay someone to come up for footy is just crazy. I reckon the $800 a game for a twos footballer from down south could be spent better locally. I would rather a local lad who will stay around than any wannabe champion who plays div 3 in Victoria. Maybe the points system isn't such a great thing, look after the blokes who are up here with the cash that is poured in by local businesses. The club or someone at it obviously wouldn't want to see their hard earned spent on some overrated bloke who is up here to party off the clubs wage. Then again, it is the clubs responsibility to recruit the right players. Tought call.....

Agree.
I've never been one to chase coin or hold a club for ransom.
I'm happy just to play and If they have BOG money and you get it....great!

teamwork

Debutant
Jan 12, 2011
Cairns
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Manunda Hawks, Arsenal
Yeah I heard that Lane tried to recruit a few of his ex-teammates but at least 3 of em used the threat of defection to Trinity to increase their 'incentives' at Hawks.:eek:

haha, not so Watsons. In fact they all made their decisions very early and for very different reasons. As far as "incentives" as you put it, they are genuinely that, a good incentive scheme. But no, none held the Hawks to ransom what so ever.

Flintstone

All Australian
Apr 22, 2010
Cairns
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
West Perth Falcons
Good to see that Rob Douglas is still involved in Cairns Footy. A smart move by the Hawks. Good luck to him I say, I wish him and the Hawks well this year.

tamba

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2007
In my MAN Cave
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
South Cairns Cutters

Was dissapointed with the possible new recruits, but then again,the money will stay here in smaller lots for the locals, training was good from what I hear & good numbers, a good vibe around, not making any predictions but the side could possibly fight off for fourth place. Yes the coach is a Vic lad, but still waiting for the Penguin to announce who it is, I know it may be known, but the Penguin has asked me to let him do the announcement so it is over to him when he is ready , sorry,

Great news the Tigers are setting up a basketball team for the ladies fosters good relations and makes them feel part of the club even greater than before.

Never under estimated Centrals & Lane, he will have a competitive side and will push for finals berth. I know I predicted them to finish lower but anything can happen. Just look at last years GF. Port were un-backable.

Flintstone

All Australian
Apr 22, 2010
Cairns
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
West Perth Falcons
Was dissapointed with the possible new recruits, but then again,the money will stay here in smaller lots for the locals, training was good from what I hear & good numbers, a good vibe around, not making any predictions but the side could possibly fight off for fourth place. Yes the coach is a Vic lad, but still waiting for the Penguin to announce who it is, I know it may be known, but the Penguin has asked me to let him do the announcement so it is over to him when he is ready , sorry,

Great news the Tigers are setting up a basketball team for the ladies fosters good relations and makes them feel part of the club even greater than before.

Never under estimated Centrals & Lane, he will have a competitive side and will push for finals berth. I know I predicted them to finish lower but anything can happen. Just look at last years GF. Port were un-backable.

There's no big secret, Souths held meet the Coach last weekend and you can see the club website with the Coach's name and contact number.

Poiderr

Senior List
May 1, 2007
Cairns
AFL Club
Collingwood
NEW South Cairns player-coach Chris Adams is not a qualified chef, but he knows wooden spoons belong in kitchen cupboards and not in a football clubs trophy cabinet.

After losing a host of quality personnel at the end of 2009, the Cutters endured their toughest Cairns AFL season in recent memory last year to finish bottom with only one win from 18 games.
It was a difficult result to reconcile for a proud club, but a new season brings fresh hope that Adams is the man to return the Cutters to finals reckoning.
The 28-year-old, who replaces Robbie Douglas, has been impressed with the player turnout since training started last week.
"We’ve had good numbers on the paddock so far. We had 37 at the first night and the same amount on Wednesday," Adams said.
"Last year we had 93 players on the books and 52 have rocked up on the first two nights so far, which is pretty encouraging."
Adams wants to play a lead role in any Cutters revival. A former VFL (Port Melbourne) and WAFL (East Fremantle) player, Adams is currently turning out for the Nightcliff Tigers in the Northern Territory Football League.
The Gippsland product admits he is still learning his craft as a senior coach, but is confident he can mould the Cutters into a competitive side.
"Coming into a new league brings new challenges, so hopefully I can lead from the front and take this football club back to where it belongs," the on-baller said. "We’ve identified the need for bigger bodies to complement our running brigade of last year and that’s what we’ve been focusing on in recruitment.
"We’ve got a lot of youth, but we want to mix it with experience. At this stage our goal is to win more games than we lose this year. If we can do that I’ll be pretty happy."
The Cutters train three nights a week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday) at Fretwell Park at 6pm. Players are asked to arrive by 5.45pm

Cairns-WebUsual-CP17JAN11P032-C0082496-ADAMS.JPG

http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2011/01/17/144745_local-sport-news.html:thumbsu:

big fan

Draftee
Jan 27, 2010
Cairns
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Tyson will do a good job at Centrals no doubting that, but you cant fire a gun with no amunition! Willy Allick would have been a great pick up for them, not for his playing ability which has definately lessoned over the last couple of seasons but because people just love to be around his energetic personality, many of the lads approached would have gone if he did.
Having said all that I'm glad he's staying put, I would hate to see Willy thought of as a football mercinary.
Is it true Wes Lord is bench coach for the Tigers this year?

JackBlack

Rookie
Jan 6, 2011
Cairns
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Flint Tropics
There is wispers in the air that a mountain named cameron Bartlett is wearing a hawks guernsey this year is this true?
If so what a pick up with the on ballers Hawks have and now a big foreward to replace Gabby. I'll be down the cazaly bar tonight to see for myself I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back