Indigenous war dance

crowralph

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2010
alice springs
AFL Club
Adelaide
I believe it worked so well that they never did it again. :thumbsu:

never seen a war dance, but have seen a few other traditional dances. i think dance is an important part of their culture, so would expect it to be genuine. of course, with the large amount of different clans/nations i'm sure there'd be plenty of different ones.

SwanSational Syd

Senior List
Sep 26, 2010
Swan Lake
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Randwick
Who's actually in the team?

I've been wondering that myself. I've seen somewhere that Adam Goodes is captaining the squad, with Graham Johncock, Daniel Motlop, and Aaron Davey in the leadership group. Other than that, though, I'm clueless as to who else will be playing for the Indigenous All-Stars.

I've been wondering that myself. I've seen somewhere that Adam Goodes is captaining the squad, with Graham Johncock, Daniel Motlop, and Aaron Davey in the leadership group. Other than that, though, I'm clueless as to who else will be playing for the Indigenous All-Stars.

From Geelong, Mathew Stokes, Steven Motlop and Allen Christensen are in contention to be named.

camiam

All Australian
Jul 2, 2010
Niddrie
AFL Club
Richmond
im part aboriginal. it wasnt made up just because the haka. its aboriginal ritual. i just watched that youtube clip. unbelievable. sent shivers up my spine. i would love to see more of this war dance

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
im part aboriginal. it wasnt made up just because the haka. its aboriginal ritual. i just watched that youtube clip. unbelievable. sent shivers up my spine. i would love to see more of this war dance

What tribe is this dance from?

absfab

Premiership Player
Mar 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton

Thanks for your part input.

If you'd been taking notice you'd know that it WAS made up. Very recently. It's on the public record fom the people who "invented" it.

Are you (partly) claiming that your (part) heritage is a warrior culture? First anyone has heard of that.

But while the 2008 Wallabies won't be reviving the contrived Aboriginal war dance performed a century ago by the 1908 team in Britain, Mr O'Neill said the ARU was investigating whether an indigenous dance troupe might be used to reply to the haka.
http://www.vodafoneonetribe.co.nz/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=1126

While I don't doubt there are many localised "war dances" or dances which could be considered preparation for battle, I sincerely doubt any are "representative" of the indigenous population as a whole.
It seems a gratuitous gimmick.

Nov 2, 2004
Yulee
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Since the International Cup started in footy, the Kiwis and Islander teams have been doing thier own versions of this. PNG didnt have one originally but came up with one in response.

When the flying boomerangs came up against these nations in U16 footy they decided they would come up with their own version themselves and this is the result.

Given the positive response and some of the same people involved as with the All Star team they have decided to incorporate it.

So it has evolved somewhat organically and not set up as a marketing gimmick.

And sure it is not traditional or represents all aboriginal tribes, just as the Haka does not (of which there are many versions, and even the All Blacks use different versions).

Back