The Best 3 Albums In a Row from a Band

Remove this Banner Ad

Neil Young - On The Beach
Tonights the Night
Zuma
American Stars and Bars
Comes a Time
Rust Never Sleeps - Yeah thats 5 but it's Neil Young.

Could also add,

Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
After the Gold Rush
Harvest

All great albums, don't think Neil Young made a bad album until the 1980s where he churned out some s**t.

Also an underrated 80s band - LLoyd Cole & the Commotions

Rattlesnakes
Easy Pieces
Mainstream

As all my first nominations (Zep IV to Graffiti, On The Beach to Zuma, Revolver to Pepper, Bring It On Home to Blonde on Blonde, plus a few others) have already been done, I'm going to a little further down...

Jethro Tull...Stand Up, Benefit, Aqualung (1969-1970)

King Crimson...Larks Tongues In Aspic, Starless and Bible Black, Red (1973-1975)

All great albums, don't think Neil Young made a bad album until the 1980s where he churned out some s**t.

There was a switch that was flicked at midnight, Dec 31 1979...it turned all the good 70s acts to s**t.

Bowie at least manged Scary Monsters before he went to seed.

NY, in the mid 80s put out some absolute garbage...but most of it was to get out of his Geffen contract.

They actually took him to court for releasing albums deliberately releaseasing "uncharacteristic" albums, not representative of his trademark sound :D

Stooges - s/t, Funhouse, Raw Power
Jesus Lizard - Goat, Liar, Down
Fugazi - Repeater, Steady Diet Of Nothing, In On The Killtaker
The Cows - Peacetika, Cunning Stunts, Sexy Pee Story
Killdozer - Twelve Point Buck, Uncomprising War On Art Under The Dictatorship Of The Proletariat, God Hears Pleas Of The Innocent
Poison Idea - Kings Of Punk, War All The Time, Feel The Darkness
Birthday Party - s/t (Hee Haw), Prayers On Fire, Junkyard

There was a switch that was flicked at midnight, Dec 31 1979...it turned all the good 70s acts to s**t.

Bowie at least manged Scary Monsters before he went to seed.

NY, in the mid 80s put out some absolute garbage...but most of it was to get out of his Geffen contract.

They actually took him to court for releasing albums deliberately releaseasing "uncharacteristic" albums, not representative of his trademark sound

Pretty much the same with the Stones they had great albums in the 60s and 70s and then turned to s**t in the 80s, barring Tattoo You and even that only had a few great singles that saved it.

Macy Gray

On How Life Is
The Id
The Trouble With Being Myself

Apologies if these guys have already been included, but here's another band that seems to have fallen of the face of the earth:

REM
Green
Out of Time
Automatic for the People

I haven't heard anything from these guys in years but jeez was I into them in the late 80's/early 90s, and these albums were greats.

Rise Against
Revolutions Per Minute
Siren Songs of the Counter Culture
The Sufferer and the Witness

Oasis

Definitely Maybe
What's the Story (Morning Glory)
Be Here Now

Incubus
S.C.I.E.N.C.E
Make Yourself
Morning View

Eminem
The Slim Shady LP
The Marshall Mathers LP
The Eminem Show

Pretty much the same with the Stones they had great albums in the 60s and 70s and then turned to s**t in the 80s, barring Tattoo You and even that only had a few great singles that saved it.

Even allowing for the obvious factors like the comfort that came with success, I think the most important factor was midway through the preceeding decade (the 1970s) the best musician they ever had walked out and was replaced by the worst. It wasn't obvious at the time, but the fact that even 'Tattoo You' had zero new songs on it hinted at the lack of creativity.

Apologies if these guys have already been included, but here's another band that seems to have fallen of the face of the earth:

REM
Green
Out of Time
Automatic for the People

I haven't heard anything from these guys in years but jeez was I into them in the late 80's/early 90s, and these albums were greats.

Very worthy addition, I reckon. 3 Great albums. :thumbsu:

anti - nick drake did release three albums: pink moon, bryter layter and five leaves left. all crackers too!

i sorta worded that part of the post wrongly. i meant lots of the bands i really love didn't release 3 abums, but here are some other bands that did: etc.

and yes, they are all very very good albums.

Oasis
Definitely Maybe
What's the Story (Morning Glory)
Be Here Now

be here now? you 'avin a laugh?

I'm gonna through 'deerhunter' into the mix, because they're on a current roll of 4 brilliant albums in a row:

Cryptograms
Microcastle
Wierd Era Cont.
Halcyon Digest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

be here now? you 'avin a laugh?

I'm gonna through 'deerhunter' into the mix, because they're on a current roll of 4 brilliant albums in a row:

Cryptograms
Microcastle
Wierd Era Cont.
Halcyon Digest

Gotta love a catch phrase :)

I have missed out on Deerhunter altogether until Halcyon Digest and I love that so a bit of revision is in order.

Be Here Now is not as bad as the criticism it receives says it is. Sure, it's no Morning Glory, but it is a solid album all the same. I think it receives a lot of the criticism because it isn't Morning Glory mark II.

That said, I hesitate whether it forms the final album of a great trio.

Be Here Now is not as bad as the criticism it receives says it is. Sure, it's no Morning Glory, but it is a solid album all the same. I think it receives a lot of the criticism because it isn't Morning Glory mark II.

That said, I hesitate whether it forms the final album of a great trio.

Yeah it is unfairly criticized in my opinion, I personally think it's a great album.

Stooges - s/t, Funhouse, Raw Power
Jesus Lizard - Goat, Liar, Down
Fugazi - Repeater, Steady Diet Of Nothing, In On The Killtaker
The Cows - Peacetika, Cunning Stunts, Sexy Pee Story
Killdozer - Twelve Point Buck, Uncomprising War On Art Under The Dictatorship Of The Proletariat, God Hears Pleas Of The Innocent
Poison Idea - Kings Of Punk, War All The Time, Feel The Darkness
Birthday Party - s/t (Hee Haw), Prayers On Fire, Junkyard

You like good music.

Please Please Me, With The Beatles, Hard Days Night, Beatles for Sale, Help, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, White Album, Yellow Submarine, Let it Be, Abby Road.

13 brilliant albums in a row.

Please Please Me, With The Beatles, Hard Days Night, Beatles for Sale, Help, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, White Album, Yellow Submarine, Let it Be, Abby Road.

13 brilliant albums in a row.

More like 6, would hardly call the others brilliant mate, and I love The Beatles as much as anyone.

More like 6, would hardly call the others brilliant mate, and I love The Beatles as much as anyone.

Abbey Road is many fans favourite and arguably their best.
Let It Be isn't brilliant but it's underrated IMHO and contains some of their best songs..title track,The Long & Winding Road,Across The Universe,I Me Mine,Two Of Us etc

There are only three contenders....

The Beatles - Rubber Soul/Revolver/Sgt. Peppers

Led Zeppelin - Any consecutive combination from their 1st to 6th album - I went - IV - Houses Of the Holy - Physical Grafitti - my mate went II - III - IV

David Bowie - Hunky Dory - Ziggy Stardust - Aladdin Sane

Abbey Road is many fans favourite and arguably their best.
Let It Be isn't brilliant but it's underrated IMHO and contains some of their best songs..title track,The Long & Winding Road,Across The Universe,I Me Mine,Two Of Us etc

Nah I meant the albums before Help!, since this is about the number of brilliant albums in a row. Yellow Submarine comes after The White Album which ruins the streak, if Abbey Road came after The White Album, I'd be saying 7 brilliant albums in a row.

I agree about Let It Be being an underrated album. It's got a similar quantity of great songs to that of their classic albums, (Two Of Us, Across The Universe, I've Got A Feeling, The Long And Winding Road, Let It Be, Get Back), but the quality of most of their best songs, I don't feel, match up to the one's in the classic albums, but they're not far off. It isn't rated well because it's unfairly compared to its predecessors.

I agree with AMG, they gave the album 4.5, that's what I'd give it. I think it's superior to Please Please Me, With The Beatles, A Hard Day's Night, and Beatles For Sale.

The Beatles - Rubber Soul/Revolver/Sgt. Peppers

Led Zeppelin - Any consecutive combination from their 1st to 6th album - I went - IV - Houses Of the Holy - Physical Grafitti - my mate went II - III - IV

the jimi hendrix experience?

Nah I meant the albums before Help!, since this is about the number of brilliant albums in a row. Yellow Submarine comes after The White Album which ruins the streak, if Abbey Road came after The White Album, I'd be saying 7 brilliant albums in a row.

Ah I thought you probably meant that but wasn't sure. So I'd probably agree.

For Bowie I'd say any three of Station To Station - Low - Heroes - Lodger - Scary Monsters

Just to see it recorded, I would have to nominate:

Blondie
1976 - Blondie
1977 - Plastic Letters
1978 - Parallel Lines
1979 - Eat To The Beat

For sheer consistency of release, quality (none rated below 4.5/5) and the constantly changing style.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back